your opinion on these classes!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-dent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can give me your opinion on the following classes:
Are they brutally hard?? :eek: Is the material confusing? I'm a little scared of them. :scared:

Organic chem I & II

Developmental Bio.

Cell and molecular Bio.

Microbiology

Ecology

mammalian physiology

Thanks guys for your input!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Everybody always makes a stink about O-chem, which I agree can be a lot of material and your professor may try to weed out the mediocre. I once had a professor who was very jealous of pre-health students because he said they "will be earn three times my salary", so he vocally trashed on us and made himself a barrier to relieve us of getting big heads and "claiming our glory".

With that said, usually the difficulty depends mostly on you. All in all, I enjoyed these classes and I know it helped my grade. Bio is just a lot of memorizing and maybe a little application if you're lucky. O-chem is not tough, but covers a lot in a short amount of time. Physiology is usually pretty easy compared to other courses. The key is to realize that all these classes will help you in dental school and actually APPLY to something in your future life, as opposed to all those classes you have taken that you will never use again. Thinking this way (instead of just another hoop to jump through) will help you focus and really get into the subject matter. Like I said, your attitude can improve your grade and allow you to actually enjoy what you study.

pre-dent said:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can give me your opinion on the following classes:
Are they brutally hard?? :eek: Is the material confusing? I'm a little scared of them. :scared:

Organic chem I & II

Developmental Bio.

Cell and molecular Bio.

Microbiology

Ecology

mammalian physiology

Thanks guys for your input!! ;)

wonderfull selection. they are all interesting and they should be manageable if you teach yourself to love them and be interested in the subject matter, as opposed to just taking them to fulfill requirements. enjoy them ....or at least try to do so

Members don't see this ad :)
Lefty7 said:
Everybody always makes a stink about O-chem, which I agree can be a lot of material and your professor may try to weed out the mediocre. I once had a professor who was very jealous of pre-health students because he said they "will be earn three times my salary", so he vocally trashed on us and made himself a barrier to relieve us of getting big heads and "claiming our glory".
With that said, usually the difficulty depends mostly on you. All in all, I enjoyed these classes and I know it helped my grade. Bio is just a lot of memorizing and maybe a little application if you're lucky. O-chem is not tough, but covers a lot in a short amount of time. Physiology is usually pretty easy compared to other courses. The key is to realize that all these classes will help you in dental school and actually APPLY to something in your future life, as opposed to all those classes you have taken that you will never use again. Thinking this way (instead of just another hoop to jump through) will help you focus and really get into the subject matter. Like I said, your attitude can improve your grade and allow you to actually enjoy what you study.

Hey, fightingspirit and lefty7

I love Biology, so I hope that I won't only enjoy these BIO classes, but that they will prepare me further for the DAT. Organic is the only one that I'm nervous about. I take the DAT next may and I will have taken most of these by then.
Thanks
Mel

Basically, if you put your time in, you'll be fine. My orgo 2 teacher recommended a minimum of 3 hours a day, and 10 hours extra if you missed class. This is a little drastic I think, as he clearly didn't realize that people take other classes at the same time. I probably studied, or at least tried to, like 6-8 hrs a week and did pretty well, while taking cellular bio, physics2, and a few other classes at the same time.

I really liked organic I and II. I think if you give yourself time to study you will do fine.
I loved micro and physiology :)

Organic chem I & II:
Nothing to be scared about. The material is what it seems. If you know your IR, rxns, mechanisms and nomanclature, you will do fine. The course does require a lot of practice, if you can do it, you will ace it.

Developmental Bio.

Cell and molecular Bio:
I will be taking these classes next semester. Shouldn't be too hard. Just need to put your time in.

Microbiology:
The lab is the killer here. The lecture is fun and interesting.

Ecology:
I've heard that the instructor can make all the difference in this class. One of my friends took this class and she hated the professor's teaching method. So I don't know what to say one this one.

mammalian physiology:
I just had it last semester. It was an easy class. I've had biology for over 4 semesters now, so it was nothing new.

Thank you all for your opinion.
I feel like I can conquer these classes. I shall not be afraid! :D

Mel :D