Your Opinion on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loveneko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,

I'm taking Physics 1 right now, I need Chem 1 and 2 and Physics 2. I planned on taking Chem 1 in the 2nd summer semester, and Chem 2 and Physics 2 in the Fall. I've already taken Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry and will just review those in the interim.

My concern is that darn MCAT2015. I've looked at their breakdown, and although I took psychology extensively and something like 2 semesters of sociology that was 3-4 years ago. And currently MCAT2015 just seems like a way to get a lower score. At least because I'm science heavy now I feel good with the BS PS and VR we currently have.

I've got the GPA to back it up, 4.0 science and I am at a 95 midterm average in physics 1. Two more exams to go. I want to take the final test before they give the new one. I saw that they opened up dates in November and October, but this testing schedule runs through till Feb 12th if I'm not mistaken.

Think I should stuff it all in and take that exam?
I knew someone that didnt do too tough on MCAT <22 and he got in to med school, contingent, but hes a smart guy so as far as I'm concerned hes in! Im not hoping for a score like that but it lets me know a low score the first time around is a hiccup but not the end of the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Take an AAMC practice test or two and see if they predict that you will score well. AAMC practice tests are the BEST* indicators of how you will do on the real thing.

*By "best" I mean that AAMC practice tests are usually more accurate at predicting how you will do on the real MCAT, than anything else: More accurate than judging by how long you've studied, how you did in your coursework, how you did on non-AAMC exams, how other people did, etc.

I wouldn't take the MCAT without taking Physics II first. Orgo II maybe you can forgo on, but you need physics II unless you are excellent at self teaching.

Reactions: 1 user
So,

I'm taking Physics 1 right now, I need Chem 1 and 2 and Physics 2. I planned on taking Chem 1 in the 2nd summer semester, and Chem 2 and Physics 2 in the Fall. I've already taken Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry and will just review those in the interim.

My concern is that darn MCAT2015. I've looked at their breakdown, and although I took psychology extensively and something like 2 semesters of sociology that was 3-4 years ago. And currently MCAT2015 just seems like a way to get a lower score. At least because I'm science heavy now I feel good with the BS PS and VR we currently have.

I've got the GPA to back it up, 4.0 science and I am at a 95 midterm average in physics 1. Two more exams to go. I want to take the final test before they give the new one. I saw that they opened up dates in November and October, but this testing schedule runs through till Feb 12th if I'm not mistaken.

Think I should stuff it all in and take that exam?
I knew someone that didnt do too tough on MCAT <22 and he got in to med school, contingent, but hes a smart guy so as far as I'm concerned hes in! Im not hoping for a score like that but it lets me know a low score the first time around is a hiccup but not the end of the world.

lol what. how did you take orgo and biochem before genchem....

Also, don't think that just because you have a 4.0 means you'll make a good score on the MCAT. It's a different beast and I know people with same GPA's that made a 30 (low when you think of their GPA).

No. you shouldn't stuff it all in and take the exam. Yeah you'll take the 2015 MCAT but its probably not going to be as big of an issue as we think right now. I don't even know how "currently MCAT2015 just seems like a way to get a lower score" even can be said at this point in time.

Also, never compare yourself to others

Members don't see this ad :)
lol what. how did you take orgo and biochem before genchem....

:whistle: Weeelll, I was override(d) into the class, (I was warned not to take it because it was out of sequence, if that helps you feel better, but I was able to get into the class.) Same thing with my current physics class. I was overrided into that without college Math (I placed into Calc but have never actually stepped foot into a College Math class and hope never to do so. I hate Math-probably because I used to get beat with an abacus if I messed up my times table as a child--my dad is a Math spas lol :laugh:)
I enjoyed Orgo tremendously and did really well, then tutored it for 2 years. It reminded me a lot of the Med Chem I took when I was in my BS/MD program (it seems like I was there decades ago before I decided to leave).

Reactions: 1 user
Also, don't use your real picture as your avatar!
Who says this is my real picture?!

:Rushes to change it:

Also, I agree. I know the answers to all of the questions I put on SDN, but I'm so stubborn I have to hear/read someone else say it.

I know I should wait for 2015. But I am a tad bit impatient which could certainly lead to my downfall. I will try my best to let this rest until the end of the year. I will have Physics 2 and Gen Chem 1 completed by the end of this year. It's just in the interim without a tangible end (no resultant degree from my post bac studies), I almost feel I am wasting my time and building up debt.
I was playing with the idea of getting my Masters in Clinical Nurse Leadership and completing my post bacc requirements at least that way I feel like I'm doing something with my education and I can command a higher salary instead of just racking up the debt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
:whistle: Weeelll, I was override(d) into the class, (I was warned not to take it because it was out of sequence, if that helps you feel better, but I was able to get into the class.) Same thing with my current physics class. I was overrided into that without college Math (I placed into Calc but have never actually stepped foot into a College Math class and hope never to do so. I hate Math-probably because I used to get beat with an abacus if I messed up my times table as a child--my dad is a Math spas lol :laugh:)
I enjoyed Orgo tremendously and did really well, then tutored it for 2 years. It reminded me a lot of the Med Chem I took when I was in my BS/MD program (it seems like I was there decades ago before I decided to leave).

AH I see! I didn't even know someone can get overridden into a class like that
Also realize that med schools like to see math up to calculus + statistics...so you may have to face your fear haha

Who says this is my real picture?!

:Rushes to change it:

Also, I agree. I know the answers to all of the questions I put on SDN, but I'm so stubborn I have to hear/read someone else say it.

I know I should wait for 2015. But I am a tad bit impatient which could certainly lead to my downfall. I will try my best to let this rest until the end of the year. I will have Physics 2 and Gen Chem 1 completed by the end of this year. It's just in the interim without a tangible end (no resultant degree from my post bac studies), I almost feel I am wasting my time and building up debt.
I was playing with the idea of getting my Masters in Clinical Nurse Leadership and completing my post bacc requirements at least that way I feel like I'm doing something with my education and I can command a higher salary instead of just racking up the debt.

Just wait and relax.
Spend your summer on your EC's