Your Opinion on High School ECs

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get this straight out. Since only ECs that you continue to do in college can be listed in med school application, should I quit doing one of the following ECs while in high school ? #1 Volunteering with senior citizens. #2 Volunteering with disabled people. Do those two ECs sound the same to med schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get this straight out. Since only ECs that you continue to do in college can be listed in med school application, should I quit doing one of the following ECs while in high school ? #1 Volunteering with senior citizens. #2 Volunteering with disabled people. Do those two ECs sound the same to med schools ?

Well...
(1) Ideally, you should do things like volunteering with elderly and disabled persons because you care and it's a decent thing to do.
(2) That kind of volunteering looks good on your undergrad applications.

Neither would be impressive on a med school app; most would not include simple high school volunteering like that.

Maybe if you continued doing them through college they'd add something meaningful to your app. I think 6 years (extending into college) of helping disabled people would show a ton of dedication.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe if you continued doing them through college they'd add something meaningful to your app. I think 6 years (extending into college) of helping disabled people would show a ton of dedication.

:thumbup: med schools like that.

Fantastica !