your opinion on electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousnadd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This whole trying to figure out where to spend my elective months is starting to give me an aneurysm. I've already set one up at one of the larger county hospital residency programs. However, I'm not so sure what to do now! Do I set one up at a community hospital and/or academic hospital too? Does it matter whether or not I think I may be competitive for those programs that I may spend an elective at? For example, it seems to me that Yale and Hopkins are probably out of my league as far as scores go, although they provide what I'm looking for in the sense of fellowship opportunities and research interests as well. So, do I spend a month at one of those places even though my scores may be sub par? Even though I may bring other things to the table (ie, research, experiences, etc etc)?

I'm confused...more than ever.

Members don't see this ad.

My dad used to tell me, aim for the stars, you might hit the moon. Aim for a pile of manure, you'll most likely get it.

My dad used to tell me, aim for the stars, you might hit the moon.
But you're most likely to drift aimlessly in space. anxiousnadd's question is valid.

Last edited:
Go to a program or two where you could really see yourself going *for yourself*.. if you dont feel that you are "competitive" for a program, but wish to go there, i.e. its a reach, it actually may make sense to go there for sure, because by being a stellar clinical student and making some connections there, you could put yourself beyond the people who didnt do that..
also, going to one university hospital and one county hospital is a good idea cos you can talk about what you liked at both in your interviews, i.e. your time at yale will have some broad similarities to your time at other university hospitals and that will make you look better..

i came from a university program and had an away at a county hospital and at a few interviews at county hospitals, they were very happy that i had done well at an away in a county hospital and showed them that i could thrive in that setting as well..its less of an issue going from county--> university, but still relevant

so basically, i think the advice that go where you want to go for residency and shine there is still best.. you cant control how competitive you are for their program except by going there and doing well.. if its still out of reach (which i doubt it will be if you leave a strongly positive impression and get an LOR from them), there will be other programs like them who will appreciate your letter from yale or hopikins or wherever..

good luck, and pm me if you need more thoughts.. just done interviewing this year so pretty close to what you're doing now