Your opinion: BU vs. Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Motivated87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion on the quality of the education at BU and Case?

I am sure both programs will provide you with the skills required to become a good dentist, but which would you say is better?

Also, where would you go if you had the choice?

I have been going back and forth over the last week trying to decide which program is better suited for me and I have not been able to come up with a solid answer. Hearing your thoughts would be really appreciated.

My thoughts: I felt that there are many more advantages (education wise) going to Case Western, such as having your own chair. Also, I would be saving a several thousand a year between tuition and living expenses. In addition, I have a friend at BU who feels that Case is a superior school and has advised me along with his third year friends to attend Case.

My only issue with case is Cleveland. I would rather spend the next four years in Boston than Cleveland. I understand that as a student you will not have the opportunity to explore the city too much because of the course load but at the same time I don't want to be in a depressing city with high crime rates. My parents are also pushing me to pick BU because of the city.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick Case over BU unless you absolutely hate Cleveland and love Boston.
Class size, clinic, P/F grading are great at case.
I don't know much about BU but it's hard to top Case.
Both are expensive so price shouldn't be much of a factor in your decision making.
I think it comes down to whether you can tolerate the bad city environment for an excellent education or not.
Congrats on your acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick Case over BU unless you absolutely hate Cleveland and love Boston.
Class size, clinic, P/F grading are great at case.
I don't know much about BU but it's hard to top Case.
Both are expensive so price shouldn't be much of a factor in your decision making.
I think it comes down to whether you can tolerate the bad city environment for an excellent education or not.
Congrats on your acceptances!

Thank you very much for your repsonse! I really appreciate it!

I agree with you in many respects.

Anyone else?

location location location my man....Boston's the place to be! So what if you end up paying 30k more at BU than Case, that's maybe 6 months more of payments?? That's the way I see it at least.

I agree with the above post.

4 years is a long time my friend, you want to be in a city where you can enjoy your time while your in school. Balance is an important part of a dental education. You want to be in place where you can enjoy yourself from time to time. Cleveland may not offer that?

Also, I've also heard many people at case do not like the Problem-based learning curriculum. Im not too sure if BU has this or not?

Best of luck with your decision.

didn't you hear what Joakim Noah said about cleveland???

BU it is.

hey i am from cleveland, the city its not that great but its not that bad either. i had interview at BU and i went to case couple times because my friends is D2. i would choose Case without hesitation. Case is cheaper, labs are awesome, education is amazing, plus you have your own chair !!!!!!!!! BU is a great school too but my honest opinion bro Case is the one. i would love to go to case but i wasnt competitive enough !!