Your love life in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suren911

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how goes it? Dating someone in your class? Has it worked out? Dating someone in the work force/diff program? Has it worked out? Do you even have the time to date? Are most just dating around for fun or with marriage in mind? Just curious... :D

Members don't see this ad.

So how goes it? Dating someone in your class? Has it worked out? Dating someone in the work force/diff program? Has it worked out? Do you even have the time to date? Are most just dating around for fun or with marriage in mind? Just curious... :D
Got married halfway through second year. Seems to be working out so far. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Dental school killed my love life.

My college sweet heart was 250 miles away and I was too busy tiring to survive to invest any time in that relationship. As a result I lost that romance after 6 months.

There was no one of interest to me in the school and the world around the school I went to had zero social life unless you were a good ol boy, beer drinking red neck, blue collar type.

So for 3 years my love life had more in common with monks then dentists.

That all changed the minute I got out of school........But that is a story for another post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got married halfway through second year. Seems to be working out so far. :D
That's nice. Really nice! Hopefully I'll be as lucky as you are.

Dental school killed my love life.

My college sweet heart was 250 miles away and I was too busy tiring to survive to invest any time in that relationship. As a result I lost that romance after 6 months.

There was no one of interest to me in the school and the world around the school I went to had zero social life unless you were a good ol boy, beer drinking red neck, blue collar type.

So for 3 years my love life had more in common with monks then dentists.

That all changed the minute I got out of school........But that is a story for another post.
I'm sorry to hear that. But what happened after you got out of school? Don't be shy now. Share share! :D

I don't know if I want to try. After putting up with a married woman who asked me "what's kama sutra? Is that a children's cartoon?"

^Congrats :) I hope I'll find the love of my life one day too.

I got married way long before dental school started so it was not at all rocky. But people in my class with young relationship probably suffered the most. I never studied in the weekend unless I had exam on Monday morning. 95% of weekend I spent time with my husband and kid. Had a very good life & always happy about my life.
Can't say that dental school has bad influence on my personal life.

^Ah I'm envious! Happy for you :)

after 7 months of dental school, I can say....at first it was good, even great. New city, meeting new people, plenty of free time early on to explore and date, but in the last 2-3 months I actually am too busy to go out as much and date as much. And, if you aren't dating someone in your class at this point, you probably won't suddenly foster such a relationship now that you know everyone as just a friend or aquaintance. And it's hard to meet new people when you spend 8-10 hours in the same places every day

Hey,
All I can say, is that dental school is terrible on one's love life. unless you come into dental school married or with a bf/gf you have no love life. It is very difficult to date someone in your class and it is difficult to meet ppl outside of school. I'm quite depressed about this.... It seems wherever I go everyone is married.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting thread. I guess it would be hard. I never really thought about it since I was married with kids when I started - way past the dating phase of life.

Don't worry though, you'll have extra time to study for your pathology exams. :( :D

this isn't a very encouraging post for us single students :(

Reactions: 1 user
^Yeah I agree. A bit sad. So we're going to be busy and have a lot of classmates already taken/married. I guess I will be single starting now until I am 27. That's many years of my youth studied away. No feelings of love or sexy time. Just... books and teeth. Lots of teeth.

*emotional moment*

I know of a lot of hook ups in and out of class. If you don't have a problem being social now, why would you in Dental school? Also, it's not like you NEED to hook up with a classmate...what's that saying? Oh right, don't **** where you eat.

Dated this girl but I couldn't open up a lot of room for her in my schedule so she called it off after a while. But listen, this is actually a good test to see if he/she will stay the course with you.

I know of a lot of hook ups in and out of class. If you don't have a problem being social now, why would you in Dental school? Also, it's not like you NEED to hook up with a classmate...what's that saying? Oh right, don't **** where you eat.

Truer words have never been spoken. Remember, this is why there are classes ahead of, and behind you :D

Hahaha classic. :thumbup:

Yeah dating someone in your class sounds like a pretty bad idea. Definitely not doing that fer shiz.

^Yeah, if you end up with someone nice, you might get married. It's just important to choose really carefully. I'd hate to have drama within the class when the relationship doesn't work out. It'll be so so so awkward and distracting to have an ex around all the time.

In my school we had a couple of students get married to each other at the end of the first year. They then got divorced at the end of the third year. You can imagine how awkward that made the forth year for them as well as all the other students in the class.

Every time I hear that James Taylor song (I can't recall the title) with the refrain "Some of the them your friends, Some of them my friends, Some of them nobody's friends at all" I think about that sad little affair.

^http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:GSWcKyTX9EZUnM:http://trouble.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/sad%2520kitty.jpg

So sad :-/

In my school we had a couple of students get married to each other at the end of the first year. They then got divorced at the end of the third year. You can imagine how awkward that made the forth year for them as well as all the other students in the class.

Every time I hear that James Taylor song (I can't recall the title) with the refrain "Some of the them your friends, Some of them my friends, Some of them nobody's friends at all" I think about that sad little affair.

LOL :laugh: (the song part).
Yeah, I can imagine the awkwardness. I guess that part is funny too.

I never dated girls in my class for the obvious reasons everybody has been stating. I did date girls in other classes and when things ended it was no big deal (not having to see them every day helps). Now, if I had met the love of my life in my class, I guess I would have played the odds. However, most of the gals were hitched and I was not particularly interested in any of the available ones so it made it easy for me. We also had a smaller class (53) and I did not want my business being a topic of discussion around the class campfire. Just my take...

I guess I'll be single for another 4 years...oh well.

Don't worry. There are many single guys at Case for you from upper classes and residents.
wooohooo...older men! I don't know how much time I'll have anyway to date though. Right now thats not high on my priority list.

I think if you have no libido or ability to develop romantic interest, you're pretty much set to do well in dental school. Please suggest, if you know of any drug that can do this.

Any cute jewish dentists here? I'm a single cute jewish 4th year dental srudent!

Your going to case then? just kidding...I guess I can do long distance, where are you going again?;)

oh long distance will work. Nope im not going to case. i just got an email and they asked if i still wanted to be considered. Well that was 2-3 weeks ago so i think they have sent their latest acceptances out. I am going to Philly. We are not that far from each other. We can see each other once a year or so =]. Then we will get married and move to southern cali. :thumbup:

oh long distance will work. Nope im not going to case. i just got an email and they asked if i still wanted to be considered. Well that was 2-3 weeks ago so i think they have sent their latest acceptances out. I am going to Philly. We are not that far from each other. We can see each other once a year or so =]. Then we will get married and move to southern cali. :thumbup:
Sounds good to me. Lets get things straight though I get a good ring right? And I'm not sure about So Cal...too far from skiing and my family. Northern Cali or CO would be better.

Eh So Cal does have skiing, it isn't the greatest but we do have it... unlike NOVA where i am going..... no snowboarding for 4 years..... Now thats truly sad....

you guys are crazy, there is no romance in d-school? there has to be.....ah yes, making sweet love to textbooks. days spent gazing longingly into each other's faces, into the wee hours of the morning. *sigh*
i also see there is potential for SDN hookups? somehow it reminds/sickens me when people used to cyber. caligirl15 sounds more like a/s/l. chris hanson, watch out.

you guys are crazy, there is no romance in d-school? there has to be.....ah yes, making sweet love to textbooks. days spent gazing longingly into each other's faces, into the wee hours of the morning. *sigh*
i also see there is potential for SDN hookups? somehow it reminds/sickens me when people used to cyber. caligirl15 sounds more like a/s/l. chris hanson, watch out.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Its more like paging through stacks of powerpoints, trying to decipher scribbles in the margin.

I am married and don't have to worry about dating, but I know there is more then plenty of time for love/life. Dental school is difficult and there are some weeks which can be hellish but about the other 80% of the time you will have plenty of time to go out, date, play ball ect. The only time I will study on the weekend is 7-11ish on sunday, (and do fine 3.0+). I know before I started D-school I thought it was going to be hell for 4 yrs straight, and believe me there are days in which it is, but there is time. I am however more then satisfied with just getting by with my didactic work, as long as I work harder on my lab work, which means during the day I work hard , and during the weeknights I don't miss to many of my favorite shows.

Hey guys,
how do you get kicked out of undertaker school?:scared::eek::smuggrin::D

Sounds good to me. Lets get things straight though I get a good ring right? And I'm not sure about So Cal...too far from skiing and my family. Northern Cali or CO would be better.

Of course you get a good ring. (1.5 carat) main diamond then 2 (.5 carat) diamonds on the side. Wow that will cost a lot, but good thing my mommy can get the diamonds and wholesale =]. But the best thing you would be getting is me :D
and CO sounds great to me.

any one see that south park with chris hanson? pretty funny. This is match.com right?

blankguy asked.....

Hey guys,
how do you get kicked out of undertaker school?:scared::eek::smuggrin::D

A: Necrophilia?????

Of course you get a good ring. (1.5 carat) main diamond then 2 (.5 carat) diamonds on the side. Wow that will cost a lot, but good thing my mommy can get the diamonds and wholesale =]. But the best thing you would be getting is me :D
and CO sounds great to me.
Done deal then...can we get married wearing either scrubs or white lab coats, in an effort to save some money since we will both be super broke?!

Done deal then...can we get married wearing either scrubs or white lab coats, in an effort to save some money since we will both be super broke?!

haha we will wear white. How about my boardshorts can i wear those? haha funny not even a first date and we are making wedding plans. I wish life were this easy. However we will be crazy broke especially after i buy the ring.

Seriously, I am so grateful to be married. Having my wife by my side has been wonderful (especially since she has gone through a similar situation - pharmacy school - and kows the stressors of a rigorous education). In a good marriage, you will force yourself to take time out from your studies to spend quality time with your spouse. Although it will probably not be the amount of time you would like, there is still time to keep the fires of love blazing.

Now, my wife and I have a lot of practice with forcing ourselves to find ways of making sure the other doesn't feel ignored or unloved. As I already stated, she was in pharmacy school once at the same time that I was serving on an aircraft carrier where I spent 26 of 37 months at sea. We had to find ways to let the other know we loved the other. So, now, we are able to utilize those experiences and not feel like we aren't appreciated.

For those of you who are dating, it is very possible to continue dating and make it work. Prioritization and balance to both your education and your love life is needed. Don't feel you must put it on hold in order to complete dental school successfully. Having a love one during dental school, whether it be living with each other or as a long distance one as my wife and I did when she was in school, is a blessing if you just take the time out for it. Think of this, yes, dentistry is your career. Some of you don't want to be distracted because this is your career on the line. But, the person you are dating may be your soulmate. Your soulmate will be with you for eternity - much longer than you will ever be a dentist. Take the time to make your love life work. You'll be rewarded over and over in the long run.

Indeed, VERY well said. :thumbup::thumbup: