Your Last Choice for School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemi-Azygos

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not go to this school. I have no connection with this school. I only see how they treat their students. They seem to be much more concerned with treatening their students with the student promotion and graduation committee than having quality clinical rotations. I hear they are proud of their 50 hospitals, but I've also been told most of them are sub-par. I understand that Millcreek and Clarion are personal "favorites" that their students "enjoy". Other hospitals that offer positive experiences, at a price, are not utilized because the yearly tuition increases are apparently not enough for them to afford using it to benefit the students' education.

Who is this school? LECOM. :mad:

My school was super tight with their money too, but when it came down to it they would pay up.

If you only have one choice, then good luck, but if you have another choice, take it.

No school will change if they don't have to. Take control of your education.

Members don't see this ad.

Well my guess is that this person was either a fired faculty member or a kicked out student from LECOM :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sort of curious as to your motivation for posting this. If you have no contact with the school, what are your sources? I agree that LECOM has issues that make it the absolute wrong school for me, but LECOMers are generally very upfront about their school and its issues.

exlawgrrl said:
I'm sort of curious as to your motivation for posting this. If you have no contact with the school, what are your sources? I agree that LECOM has issues that make it the absolute wrong school for me, but LECOMers are generally very upfront about their school and its issues.

Doesn't every school have its "issues"? Out of curiosity, why is LECOM not the school for you?

Dr Trek 1 said:
Well my guess is that this person was either a fired faculty member or a kicked out student from LECOM :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've seen a similar post here like a year ago. That was from student who got kicked out of one of the programs there.

dr.z said:
I've seen a similar post here like a year ago. That was from student who got kicked out of one of the programs there.

I'm not at all surprsied. I love how classic psychology comes into play when people seek vengence on schools that kicked them out or reject them in order to reduce their own cognitive dissonance. :laugh:

Dr Trek 1 said:
Doesn't every school have its "issues"? Out of curiosity, why is LECOM not the school for you?

I just answered this in a PM to LECOMer. It seems too authoritarian for me with its dress code and attendance policy. Personally, it sounds like their admin would p&ss me off on a regular basis, and I'd rather not deal with that. I know lots of other people don't mind their school or their policies, but it's a deal breaker for me. I felt the same way about NSU, which is why I declined their interview. Sure, all schools have issues, and all applicants have different priorities so it works out.

exlawgrrl said:
I just answered this in a PM to LECOMer. It seems too authoritarian for me with its dress code and attendance policy. Personally, it sounds like their admin would p&ss me off on a regular basis, and I'd rather not deal with that. I know lots of other people don't mind their school or their policies, but it's a deal breaker for me. I felt the same way about NSU, which is why I declined their interview. Sure, all schools have issues, and all applicants have different priorities so it works out.

Fully understood and it's great that you know this before and don't make the mistake of enrolling somewhere you personally would not enjoy. I personally love a dress code and would seriously wear a tuxedo every day if it was socially and societally acceptable :laugh: And if you do their independent study curriculum, you no longer have an attendence policy, as long as you show up to take exams;-)

Bottom line: no school is perfect for everyone.

Dr Trek 1 said:
Fully understood and it's great that you know this before and don't make the mistake of enrolling somewhere you personally would not enjoy. I personally love a dress code and would seriously wear a tuxedo every day if it was socially and societally acceptable :laugh: And if you do their independent study curriculum, you no longer have an attendence policy, as long as you show up to take exams;-)

Bottom line: no school is perfect for everyone.

True, the ISP sounds pretty cool, and you can't beat their tuition. I just want to wear jeans all the time for the next few years until I get shoved back into the having to dress up thing. :)

exlawgrrl said:

I felt the same way about LECOM until I interviewed and was amazed by their facilities and faculty. It taught me the importance of visiting a school before deciding that it is not what I want.

Dr Trek 1 said:
I'm not at all surprsied. I love how classic psychology comes into play when people seek vengence on schools that kicked them out or reject them in order to reduce their own cognitive dissonance. :laugh:

As a LECOM grad (who wasn't kicked out or fired) I suspect that Dr. Trek is in fact Dr. Sylvia, or possibly Suzan Lazzaro (LECOM students, past or present, will know these people). LECOM will allow you to become a doctor, but they will treat you like crap. And not in the way that all med schools treat students like crap--LECOM goes above and beyond. Students are nothing but dollar signs to this school. The happiest day of my life was the day after graduation when I drove away from Erie for the last time.

Pre med students--you have been warned.

I hope that this message did not reduce anyone's cognitive dissonance.

I do not have a masters in mental health studies.

:( :cool: :idea: :luck: :scared: :mad: :barf: +pity+ :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, it's really sad that some people choose to have bad experiences in med school. Yeah, LECOM isn't perfect, I mean, hire another Admissions rep for cryin out loud. But what school is perfect. I believe that your experience is what you make it to be. If you are dedicated to having a good experience, despite imperfection that may nag at you from time to time, you will have a great time. Is it really that hard to surround yourself is positive opportunities? If you don't like the Administration, get involved in student groups and make a difference. As someone with a great deal of experience motivating high school and undergrad student leaders, attitude is everything. It's funny when there's that one person who sits in the back and criticizes everything, saying "this is so dumb...everyone's so dumb...the school's so dumb." Doesn't it just make you want to turn to that person and say, "you know what? You're what's dumb!" Whichever med school you attend, work your butt off, learn as much as you can, get involved, and for heaven's sake--enjoy it! Remember, med school is a chosen path. Why not make it a great experience?

godzilla1218 said:
As a LECOM grad (who wasn't kicked out or fired) I suspect that Dr. Trek is in fact Dr. Sylvia, or possibly Suzan Lazzaro (LECOM students, past or present, will know these people). LECOM will allow you to become a doctor, but they will treat you like crap. And not in the way that all med schools treat students like crap--LECOM goes above and beyond. Students are nothing but dollar signs to this school. The happiest day of my life was the day after graduation when I drove away from Erie for the last time.

Pre med students--you have been warned.

I hope that this message did not reduce anyone's cognitive dissonance.

I do not have a masters in mental health studies.

:( :cool: :idea: :luck: :scared: :mad: :barf: +pity+ :horns:
It sounds like Bradenton is far removed from Erie administratively, so perhaps Lecom-FL students will not have the same problems. The second year students we spoke with at the interview were ecstatic to be there. They had very little bad to say, and what was bad were things you would expect anywhere. And this has been echoed by many other posts concerning the satisfaction of Lecom-FL students. It seems like overall Lecom-FL students are very happy.

WOW!

Here I try to provide a service to you poor, unprepared, ignorant pre-medical students (that isn't a judgement, I'm not saying you're incompetent) and what a backlash.

Psycho-analyze me to your heart's content, but you've been wrong so far.

I deal with medical students from many osteopathic schools on a regular basis. NO ONE DEALS WITH MORE CRAP THAN LECOM STUDENTS! They are continually frustrated with their education and in the last two years that includes the school's eagerness to take all their tuition, but not give any of that to the facilities that train them. That is all I'm saying. I don't think LECOM grads are poorly trained or bad doctors, the school just seems malignant. Since you likely don't understand what I mean, I will put it in terms I think you will understand.

On Grey's Anatomy (I know you all watch it and wish Patrick Dempsey could be your attending, don't deny it) the head resident is very demanding and rather mean, yet retains a quirky positive side that makes you still like her. Make everyone in charge the same way and remove the "quirky positive side" and that is a malignant program.

The only people who have ever spoken somewhat, and only somewhat, nicely about LECOM were the independent or problem-based students. By the way, that independent study thing may sound great, because no class is a wonderful thing, but what a SCAM! You're paying full tuition for the priviledge of NOT using their facilities and resources to the full extent. That is a brilliant idea, whoever came up with it.

I have not had dealings with FLEa-COM students. Yes, that is how you will be referred to if you go there.

Good luck. If you interview at LECOM or FLEa-COM, how about eveyone that reads this ask the administrators, not their favorite lacky students that give you a tour, if they reimburse clinical clerkships in your last two years. If everyone asks, maybe things will improve. Or, you can just assume I am bitter and jaded and obviously cannot be right becasue you are going to be a doctor and life will be perfect once your accepted to a medical school.

BTW this "barf" icon is hilarious. Thanks Godzilla1218.
+pissed+ :barf:

Hemi-Azygos said:
WOW!

Here I try to provide a service to you poor, unprepared, ignorant pre-medical students (that isn't a judgement, I'm not saying you're incompetent) and what a backlash.

yes its a judgement. ignorant implies that not only do you not know something, but that also you are unable to learn it or chose to not learn it.

a better word in your sentence would have been naive, meaning yes they dont know it, just because they havent had the worldly experience you have, at no fault of their own. see... you're the ignorant one.

Is it that time of year already? It wouldn't be a year on SDN without a LECOM-bashing thread.

I'm a LECOM grad (not an "ignorant premed student") and I am very happy with the education I got there. I felt prepared when I became an intern (as prepared as any scared-to-death intern can be!). Yes we had a dress code, and yes we had an attendance policy, but so what? You have to wear khakis instead of jeans to class. And I actually learned more by going to lecture, so the attendance policy didn't bother me. They became more lenient with us at the end of second year anyway, and people began missing classes to study for boards.

And as for rotations, I will agree that some of the hospitals on LECOM's list aren't the greatest hospitals. But we are prepared well for a clinical years, and attendings would comment to me how good LECOM students have been. And our clinical years prepare us well for internship. I did most of my rotations at the bigger hospitals in Pittsburgh, so my education might have been different. I do agree that some of the hospitals are a joke.

I may be one of the few that didn't have many issues with LECOM's rules or administration.

I still don't understand Hemi-Azygous's motivation :confused:

Hemi-Azygos said:
WOW!

Psycho-analyze me to your heart's content, but you've been wrong so far.

I deal with medical students from many osteopathic schools on a regular basis. NO ONE DEALS WITH MORE CRAP THAN LECOM STUDENTS! They are continually frustrated with their education and in the last two years that includes the school's eagerness to take all their tuition, but not give any of that to the facilities that train them. That is all I'm saying. I don't think LECOM grads are poorly trained or bad doctors, the school just seems malignant. Since you likely don't understand what I mean, I will put it in terms I think you will understand.

On Grey's Anatomy (I know you all watch it and wish Patrick Dempsey could be your attending, don't deny it) the head resident is very demanding and rather mean, yet retains a quirky positive side that makes you still like her. Make everyone in charge the same way and remove the "quirky positive side" and that is a malignant program.

The only people who have ever spoken somewhat, and only somewhat, nicely about LECOM were the independent or problem-based students. By the way, that independent study thing may sound great, because no class is a wonderful thing, but what a SCAM! You're paying full tuition for the priviledge of NOT using their facilities and resources to the full extent. That is a brilliant idea, whoever came up with it.

I have not had dealings with FLEa-COM students. Yes, that is how you will be referred to if you go there.

Good luck. If you interview at LECOM or FLEa-COM, how about eveyone that reads this ask the administrators, not their favorite lacky students that give you a tour, if they reimburse clinical clerkships in your last two years. If everyone asks, maybe things will improve. Or, you can just assume I am bitter and jaded and obviously cannot be right becasue you are going to be a doctor and life will be perfect once your accepted to a medical school.

BTW this "barf" icon is hilarious. Thanks Godzilla1218.
+pissed+ :barf:

Haha, well, I am not going to LECOM but, being a PA resident, I hear a lot of negative things about it. These didn't stop me from applying, however, as I wanted to experience the school first hand. I am curious, however, as to why you are writing this thread. Okay, so you deal with students on a regular basis, does that mean you are on the admissions council for some medical school or are you on the pre-medical advisory board from some University? These are just shots in the dark, however, and I do not want to "Psycho-analyze" you as would be my tendency being a psychology major :D, so, why don't you tell us all what your motivation is? It wont have a negative impact on you and we are all curious!

P.S., I like the barf icon as well :laugh:

Jamers said:
Haha, well, I am not going to LECOM but, being a PA resident, I hear a lot of negative things about it. These didn't stop me from applying, however, as I wanted to experience the school first hand. I am curious, however, as to why you are writing this thread. Okay, so you deal with students on a regular basis, does that mean you are on the admissions council for some medical school or are you on the pre-medical advisory board from some University? These are just shots in the dark, however, and I do not want to "Psycho-analyze" you as would be my tendency being a psychology major :D, so, why don't you tell us all what your motivation is? It wont have a negative impact on you and we are all curious!

P.S., I like the barf icon as well :laugh:
What sort of negative things are you referring to?

Has any one thought that this might be a waitlisted LECOM-er trying to scare people away for an open spot?

FrogE7 said:
Has any one thought that this might be a waitlisted LECOM-er trying to scare people away for an open spot?

haha thats pretty smart. they should dedicate a subforum to complaints now.

:laugh: It IS Susan Lazzaro! Can't you just see her, huddled over a computer in a dark room typing away?! :laugh:

FutureDocDO said:
What sort of negative things are you referring to?

Oh the usual things that people fresh out of college dread dealing with: the dress code, strict attendence policy and Erie being a boring place. Like I said, however, I do not often believe things I am told, I have to experience first-hand, thus the reason I interviewed.