Your job now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfiniVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just assume that most peeps here are full time students, or working as veterinary technicians.
Anyone got their bachelors yet?
What is your job now?

I'm working part time as a small animal veterinary technician, teach horse riding lessons, and full time student.

Members don't see this ad.

i think this bit is for those trying to get into vet school
?

I think there are also a number of "non-traditional" folks, who have had their BA/BS and/or graduate degree for a while, as well as a full-time career, who are looking to change careers to vet med. I have my undergrad and graduate degrees and have been working full-time as a public policy researcher and SAS programmer for the past 10 years. Through various folks' posts on this list, I got the idea that there were many of us following this route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I got in I worked in a mixed animal practice running surgery and anesthesia mostly on the small animal side but maybe 15% on the large side (my background is heavy large animal though)

now on vacations I run anesthesia and surgery prep for a DACVS and occasionally fill in on our small animal GP surgery side. I also do relief tech work at some area small animal practices and of course there's always the relief work I get to do when visiting the ranch (wooo hoo herd health medicine!)

most of the time I'm buried in the library now though.

just keep plugging away. You'll get there eventually

I agree with runnerDC. Though I have not had my BS for a long time, I have already been to grad school, realized it wasn't my passion and subsequently gained a job as a neurogenetics (grad work in genetics) research technician while I work to gain entry to vet school. I am part non-trad and part not because I never deviated too far from the goal of vet school. It is not something new for me to direct my efforts towards, but my path getting to that point has changed.

I've been out of school for a year and a half...working as a laboratory technician in a cancer research lab. I also moonlight at a vet hospital during the evenings, hang out at the OSU vet hospital and listen to current students ask me "why would you want to do THIS?" and volunteer on the weekends...lol. Just plugging away til I can get in!:D

I've been out of school for approximately 4 1/2 years now (taken a few classes here and there though). For about 4 years I have been working as a Project Coordinator for a business development firm that specializes in renewable energy projects. As lucrative as this job is, it has reconfirmed my desire to become a veterinarian. I will be dropping everything and will be happily starting at Murdoch University in July.

I will have my degree in May. Currently I work as an undergrad in a research lab.

I will have my degree in May. Currently I work as an undergrad in a cancer research lab.

Right now, I am a full-time student (undergrad), full-time DAD, full-time husband, part-time vet assistant, and part-time cowboy. Hopefully, this time next year I'll be a full-time vet school student, as well as, dad and husband. I'll get my bachelors in May. Adios.

i just finished a second bachelors in wildlife, while working full-time for a major university as a lab program manager and assistant to a dean, and working per diem for a clinic where i used to be full-time...

I've got 21 credits left until my Bachelors is finished. I'm currently going to school double full-time (yes, double! 32 credits total at two schools... I hate myself for making that choice) and working full-time at a referral facility as a tech/office manager of sorts.

I'm also a bit of a non-traditional student as I've taken quite a while to meander through the first couple years of school and am now finishing up about 4 years past the 'standard'

I've got 21 credits left until my Bachelors is finished. I'm currently going to school double full-time (yes, double! 32 credits total at two schools... I hate myself for making that choice) and working full-time at a referral facility as a tech/office manager of sorts.

I'm also a bit of a non-traditional student as I've taken quite a while to meander through the first couple years of school and am now finishing up about 4 years past the 'standard'

How in the world do you do you keep that up?

I got my degree 4 years ago - I am currently a post bacc student. I have 2 jobs, one is driving a horse and carriage on tours of Boston, the other is in am immunology lab, where for xmas they gave me a breeding pair of IFN-Gamma knock out mice - I must have been good this year.

One of the schools is St. Leo Univ which allows me to take online and evening courses. The other is a community college where I take "lunch" from work and go to school. I am up until about midnight every night doing work and weekends are pretty much a bust... I really shouldn't have done it but I've only got one week left in the semester and I am trying to make the last push to get done with school.

I did a similarly ridiculous thing....you can logistically manage it with online/evening/weekend classes/independent study classes...but you do need to hunt for them sometimes. People will let you do anything if you give them money and are in decent academic standing.