your help please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yahooo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i am an IMG and i realize that this forum mostly has american med grads who are more interested in discussing the top 10-20 IM progams, but if you could help clarify some doubts for me id be very grateful.

i was trying to figure out which program is considered better in terms of reputation and fellowship placement; William Beaumont hospital (in michigan) or St Lukes - roosevelt (in NYC) or are they pretty much the same?

im also trying to figure out which of following two is better; UMDNJ New Jersey medical school (in Newark) or U conn.

thanks for your help. take care and best of luck for the match.

Yahooo

Members don't see this ad.

yahooo said:
hey guys

i am an IMG and i realize that this forum mostly has american med grads who are more interested in discussing the top 10-20 IM progams, but if you could help clarify some doubts for me id be very grateful.

i was trying to figure out which program is considered better in terms of reputation and fellowship placement; William Beaumont hospital (in michigan) or St Lukes - roosevelt (in NYC) or are they pretty much the same?

im also trying to figure out which of following two is better; UMDNJ New Jersey medical school (in Newark) or U conn.

Yahooo
Hey yahoo...
I interviewed at all four programs....
Seems like St. Luke's roosevelt is better than beaumont in terms of fellowship placements....
Also UMDNJ Newark is better than UConn (which was kind of laid back program....
This is from my perspective....though I don't know how others would rank them...
just curious >>what med-school you r from...??...I have few IMG freinds who would like to know these stuff....
e-mail me at [email protected]

hey
thanks alot for replying.appreciate ure advice.
im from a medical school in pakistan. good luck to u for the match...
if anyone else would like to share their thoughts on the above programs id be grateful. thanks

yahooo

Members don't see this ad :)
to my untrained eyes, they seem pretty much the same (academic reputation). i would probably go for geography and what program i liked during the interview. can't really go wrong or right in picking one program over the other.

yahooo said:
hey guys

Yahooo

Hi Yahoooo -- great that you are interviewing in the States. Every Pakistani resident I have run into has been incredibly smart, great teachers, really know their stuff like an attending, since most of you have already done a residency or have already been practicing for a bit, and thus are much more advanced than the average American intern who is still getting his/her feet wet after a month of experimenting. :)

I haven't interviewed at either school, but I agree with Bof. A lot of fellowship placement in the States has to do with geography. There are some great placement opportunities for IMG residents in great fellowships in the States, but a lot of it has to do with regional biases. The chairmen and PDs in regional areas know each other well because they go to the same conferences, so a letter from a PD in Michigan will do better for placement in the Midwest than a PD in NY, and a PD in NY will do better for placement on the East coast. That is generalizing because there is a lot of movement from coast to midwest to other coast, but I agree with Bof to not underestimate geography.

Where in Pakistan do you live or go to med school?