Your great animal/vet experiences by state!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IsTeach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I thought this thread would be helpful to pre-vets and vet students who are looking for some animal or vet experience. The pre-vet site seems to get more traffic so here might be best.

Although I know how much these experiences can vary (short-term/long-term, paid or unpaid, part-time/full-time etc), I figured it would be most useful to people if we could do this by state?

By a great experience I mean someone you think you could refer another forum member to in your state, who might consider taking them on for shadowing experience for a week be it for animal experience e.g. a ranch, poultry farm, pig farm etc or vet /hospital open to volunteers or short-term part/full-time assistance.

Ultimately we all have to get experience either to apply to vet school or while in school right?

If you are willing to suggest that you had a welcoming/student-friendly experience in a certain town/state or know of ranches/clinics etc elsewhere that are open to students tagging along full time for a week, maybe you could share that with the rest of us? Obviously there is no pressure to mention the name of Dr/Clinic/Owner/Manager etc on here but just maybe post that you know of one in your town/state and people can PM you to find out who they can contact if they are interested?

How does this sound?!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, no one else replied? This topic is a GREAT idea!

California or New York - intern at Farm Sanctuary as an animal care volunteer. It's not veterinary specifically, but you get to work with agricultural animals and help with vaccines, deworming, health checks, and wound care as well as learn their behavior and handling. Every farm animal from chickens and rabbits up to hogs, cattle, and donkeys.

Washington (Seattle area) - Feral Cat Spay/Neuter Project - volunteer as a surgical assistant. They are always in need of volunteers, you log hours in a time system, you get to work directly with the veterinarian who is very nice, and you get a lot of experience with feral cats with a variety of health issues.

North Carolina - Carolina Tiger Rescue - Volunteer as an animal care helper. Not medical specifically, but you get to work directly with large carnivores and learn their behavior, handling, and needs.

I have to say I'm a fan of this idea/thread. It's been a bear trying to find a good shadow position at least where I'm from and now that I have one I'm not letting it go. So hopefully this thread helps some people out.