Your FINAL submitted ROL:2008 (can edit your list later if not final yet)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NdSea

Internal Medicine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I saw this on the pediatric page and thought it would be great to also start a similar thing on the IM page. Basically this is an example of what the pediatric people are doing. Feel free to join in.

Okay, now, to make this easier, as we've done in the past, we want you to list your TOP 3 to 5 choices in random (or if you'd like, alphabetical order), NOT in the order you put them in: If you ranked < 3 spots, well, you probably don't care who knows it anyway. :p

To start, here is my ROL, in alphabetical order, from the 1982 match:

1. Akron Children's Hospital
2. Children's Memorial Hospital (Chicago)
3. Children's Mercy Hospital (Kansas City)
4. Kosair's Children's Hospital (Louisville)
5. Michael Reese Hospital (Chicago)

Those beyond this phase can put their ROL down too, just be nice and indicate what year you matched in. We'll do another one on March 20th for "where DID I match?"

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my list for this years match in alphabetical order. Will post where I match on March 20th!!!

1. Cedars Sinai
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. UCSF Fresno

ok...i certified...i cant take it anymore...i'm not going back and changing my order anymore on nrmp.

Below is my list, in alphabetical order of course:

1. AECOM - Montefiore
2. Cornell
3. Hopkins
4. Mayo-Rochester
5. Mt Sinai
6. NYU
7. Penn (HUP)
8. Stanford
9. UCLA
10. UCSD
11. UCSF
12. Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
Here they are, holla!

Duke
U of Washington
U of Michigan
Mayo Jacksonville
Bayor Dallas
Oregon
UNC

Match can't get here fast enough...

1)Mayo-Rochester
2)Wash U
3)University of Pittsburgh
4)Temple University
5)Rush

Here is my list for this years match in alphabetical order. Will post where I match on March 20th!!!

1. Cedars Sinai
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. UCSF Fresno

??? Cedars over all those other programs? why?

??? Cedars over all those other programs? why?

hmmm, not even going to go there.;) Anyways, to avoid any further confusion here is my rank list in order of preference.

1. UCLA
2. UCSD
3. Stanford
4. UCSF Fresno
5. UC Davis
6. Cedars Sinai
7. USC

I'm definitely *not* certifying yet... I'm way too neurotic and indecisive for that :confused:. Anyway, here is my list as it stands now:

Mayo Rochester
Duke
Wash U
Pitt
Case Western

I'm definitely *not* certifying yet... I'm way too neurotic and indecisive for that :confused:. Anyway, here is my list as it stands now:

Mayo Rochester
Duke
Wash U
Pitt
Case Western

you can certify and then change your rank list as often as you want, you just have to recertify.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 cedars
2 harbor
3 olive view
4 kaiser la
5 scripps
6 irvine
7 loma linda
8 usc
9 huntington
10 fresno
11 st mary

1. BIDMC
2. U of Washington
3. Mayo
4. Wash U
5. JHU-Bayview
6. UofChicago
7. Cornell
8. Yale
9. UMich
10. Home Program
11. Ohio State
12. CCF

ok...i certified...i cant take it anymore...i'm not going back and changing my order anymore on nrmp.

Below is my list, in alphabetical order of course:

1. AECOM - Montefiore
2. Cornell
3. Hopkins
4. Mayo-Rochester
5. Mt Sinai
6. NYU
7. Penn (HUP)
8. Stanford
9. UCLA
10. UCSD
11. UCSF
12. Yale

this is a rank list that baffles me. . .:confused::confused:

*EDIT* oh. . .alphabetical order. . .:p no wonder.

but I don't really get the alphabetical order thing. ? Isn't it more interesting to see the way people chose to order the programs? Or is the assumption that nobody wants to share that information? (evidently not true, based on some of these posts). I'm not criticizing, just curious . . . .

i'll post mine after feb 27.

1. BIDMC
2. JHU-Bayview
3. UofWashington
4. Wash U
5. Mayo
6. UofChicago
7. Cornell
8. Yale
9. UMich
10. Home Program
11. Ohio State
12. CCF

Linus2007, got a question.... why did u decide to put JHU-B above Yale? and Wash U.... I'm tempted to put JHU-B third (BID and MGH 1 and 2) but am not sure.... this process is killing me! help!

Linus2007, got a question.... why did u decide to put JHU-B above Yale? and Wash U.... I'm tempted to put JHU-B third (BID and MGH 1 and 2) but am not sure.... this process is killing me! help!

Hey Ocean 11 yeah actually that has been the toughest part of my selection (btw Wash U and JHU-B). I definitely ranked them above Yale as even though that program is impressive New Haven was too great of a location and there was something not quite right with the Yale residents. I chatted to a couple of people on the trail and we all noticed that the Yale residents seemed very tired and a little unhappy. I am going to preface that comment that it was my observation during one day so I'm sure there are many happy residents in the [program. Unfortunately the ones I met were not too enthusiastic about the program. They have a really good international program though. The decision between Wash U and JHU-Bayview is tough though and seems to change with every minute. So who knows UW might actually be put in front of both of them instead.

I definetly agree with your #1 rank, it will be mine too. BIDMC was just incredible. I loved JHU-B too, just don't love Baltimore that much. If you are interested in Geriatrics JHU-B is PERFECT! I am still having probs ranking... My #1-#3 is set.... but the rest.... hmmm we'll see!

Good Luck

Yeah my number 1 is set but my others just took a complete change UW moved up one and Mayo jumped up above Wash U and JHU-Bayview. Truth is I wouldn't be too bothered if I ended up with one or t'other.

Forgive my ignorance. I notice a lot of people ranking Hopkins-Bayview with top tier programs without Hopkins downtown on their list. I thought bayview was a university affiliated community program. Is their match list comparable to the likes of UW, Yale, Cornell, BIDMC.

Forgive my ignorance. I notice a lot of people ranking Hopkins-Bayview with top tier programs without Hopkins downtown on their list. I thought bayview was a university affiliated community program. Is their match list comparable to the likes of UW, Yale, Cornell, BIDMC.

Hey JHU-Bayview is NOT a community program, its a university program. JH medical school has two hospitals it is affilated with: JHH and JHU-Bayview. The match list for JHU-Bayview is amazing!

Mt. Sinai
UW
UCSF
Brown
Yale
Univ of Chicago
Case
Ohio State
Baylor

gotta ask why Mt. Sinai over Yale? I am struggling b/w ranking the two...

thanks

i originally thought that too but it actually is JHH 2nd campus. So the Renal, GI and half of Cards are located there. Most people go on to fellowships at JHH with odd one going to BWH. Out of interest it seems as if not many people go into fellowships from the program. Did you see notice that Ocean 11. I wonder if it's cos a lot of people going into primary care afterwards. It's a really strong program but there are a lot of geriatrics.

1. BIDMC
2. U of Washington
3. Mayo
4. Wash U
5. JHU-Bayview
6. UofChicago
7. Cornell
8. Yale
9. UMich
10. Home Program
11. Ohio State
12. CCF

I think BIDMC is a great #1 choice.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts re: UW, UC, Cornell?

gotta ask why Mt. Sinai over Yale? I am struggling b/w ranking the two...

thanks

Valid question...basically I figure at a certain level, the differences between the programs is minimal (i.e. - a good program will give you good training). Once I realized that, it essentially came down to where do I want to live, because at the end of the day, however long, you have to leave the hospital. I'd rather walk out the door to NYC than New Haven, but its definitely a personal choice. I have some friends that can't handle NYC and would thrive in New Haven. My only advice would be that you can't really go wrong when debating these programs, its basically a bunch of good choices, and you'll make the one that is right for you.

For the folks interested in geriatrics, I have to put my 2 cents in about Yale :)

The geriatrics department at Yale is strong and the "geriatric" philosophy about patient care is embedded in the curriculum, hidden and overt, here. I loved my 4 week inpatient geriatric rotation; and next year it is slated to provide outpatient time as well within the rotation. The attendings are very approachable, down to earth, and love to teach. MSSM is a strong medicine program and the geriatric program there is superb -- however -- the geriatric department is financially separated from IM. I was told by my interviewer that the IM dept chair resents this and that geriatrics is not incorporated into resident education (she was very candid!).

Feel bad that interviewees didn't get to spend much time with residents at Yale this year. The interview day structure was tweaked a bit...I remember speaking with several residents/interns during my interview day. This year's interview lunch seemed rather formal in comparison to last year's.

I think BIDMC is a great #1 choice.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts re: UW, UC, Cornell?

Hey Rasengan. So I personally put UW>UC>>Cornell.
I really liked UW particularly the Harborview site, they seem to have the most diverse sites with the VA, university and HMC. The Medic One exposure was also very unique, the faculty members that I worked with their were really nice and knowledgeable. I also was really impressed with the UC program. A lot of autonomy and the morning report really impressed me. Cornell has a great location but the arguing between the associate program directors and the 'tense' M&M really put me off. They came out, to their credit, and admit that they were over their caps 5% of the time and they usually go over the 80hour limit (interesting as they are under review this year). Out of the three programs UW and Cornell wll work you a lot, UC seems busy but not as much as the aforementioned programs. All three have great locations Seattle, NYC, Chicago are all pretty big cities.

Alright it is final:
1. BID
2. JHU-Bayview
3. UW
4. Mayo
5. Wash U
6. UChicago
7. Yale
8. Cornell
9. UMich
10. Home Program
11. OSU
12. CCF
13. UVA

Case/University
Tulane
UCI
UCSD
Cornell
Case/MetroHealth
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo
Harbor-UCLA
Olive View-UCLA
Kaiser SoCal

Alright it is final:
1. BID
2. JHU-Bayview
3. UW
4. Mayo
5. Wash U
6. UChicago
7. Yale
8. Cornell
9. UMich
10. Home Program
11. OSU
12. CCF
13. UVA

Hey Linus, curious why you put BI at the top of the list? I've heard mixed things about the place. Also, why Cornell so low? I take it you wanna be in the midwest/smaller city?

Ok, this is what I'm thinking....considering that I've just started to formulate this, this may change quite a bit, after my top 3.

Hopkins
UCSF
Penn
WashU
UCLA
UChicago
Cornell
Michigan
BID
UCSD
Yale
Emory
UTSW
UWashington
Mt. Sinai
Mayo

Still not sure about WashU, UCLA, and Chicago. I think I've deicded to lower Cornell, since the fellowship match list was not impressive at all (for cards at least) and you work your hiney off. I'm trying to go through all my folders and looking through all this crap. This sucks. After my top 6, everything is so random.

After my top 6, everything is so random.

hiddentruth,
i wouldn't agonize too much about the order of #6-12. find something that you are happy with and go with it. the order of your top three is what really matters. i personally don't know of anybody that matched below their #3 in medicine.

Wash U
UW
BU
Michigan
UCSD
Pitt
Emory
Dartmouth
Tufts
UVA
UMaryland

Finally certified today, yay!

This is my ROL as it stands. I think it's done, but I might switch 3 and 5, not sure.

1. Hopkins
2. UPenn
3. UW
4. Columbia
5. UCSF
6. U Chicago
7. Emory
8. Yale
9. UNC
10. UCSD
11. NW

first post :)

Hopkins
UCSF
MGH
Brigham
Duke
UPenn
Columbia
Wash U
NW
U Chicago
UVa

Any comments guys... I'm intersted in ID, specifically HIV/AIDS research....

1) BID - Harvard
2) MGH - Harvard
3) MGH Primary Care
4) Mt. Sinai, NYC
5) Northwestern
6) AECOM/Beth ISrael Learn and Earn (4 years your last 3 years you make over 100,000$)
7) Yale-NH
8) JHU-Bayview
9) JHU-Bayview PC
10) AECOM/Monte
11) AECOM/MONTE PC
12) AECOM/MONTE Social
13) Yale NH PC
14) U of Rochester
15) RUSH
16) BU
17) BU PC
18) Wayne State

Hey JHU-Bayview is NOT a community program, its a university program. JH medical school has two hospitals it is affilated with: JHH and JHU-Bayview. The match list for JHU-Bayview is amazing!

Just an FYI about JHU Bayview. I am actually one of the Bayview residents, so take this with whatever bais you must. I would say the program is sort of a community program in that it is a smaller hospital than JHH, but it is the Hopkins second hospital (about 20 years old now) and the training is really rigorus. We do 4 unit months our first year. A lot of people go into PC and geriatrics because this campus is where the Hopkins General Internal Medicine Residency and half of the program are actually "Primary Residents" with the other half being categoricals. That being said, the match list is pretty amazing, with a lot of people going to Hopkins and most others going to pretty outstanding places. The former program director of the JHH residency came here several years ago because he saw it as an opportunity to transform the other campus into something amazing and he is accomplishing it.

good luck everyone.

I'm couples matching, makes it more fun:

Last edited:
Finally, the 27th is here and I can post this!

1. UCSF
2. Brigham
3. MGH
4. Michigan
5. Duke
6. UChicago
7. JHU
8. WashU

california dreamin'....fingers crossed....

in alphabetical order:

U Chicago
Colorado
Cornell
Emory
Michigan
Northwestern
NYU
UTSW
Yale

Last edited:
Here it is, in all it's glory! (in order of rank)

Mayo-Rochester
Dartmouth
UWisconsin
UVM
UIowa
UWashington

I think this is it....

Hopkins
UCSF
Penn
Chicago
WashU
UCLA
BIDMC
Cornell
Michigan
UTSW
UDub
Vanderbilt
Emory
Mayo

1. UWashington
2. Penn
3. UChicago
4. NW
5. Vanderbilt
6. UVa
7. UNC
8. Duke
9. Columbia
10. MUSC

Good luck everyone! March 20th will be here in no time.

this is it!

1) BID
2) MGH
3) MGH PC
4) MSSM
5) Yale-NH
6) JHU-B
7) AECOM/Monte
8) Yale-NH PC
9) AECOM/BI
10) U of Rochester
11) NW
12) RUSH
13) Wayne State/Detroit
14) LIJ
15) Greenwich Assoc program

DONE! I'm not changing it...

BTW incase any of you are wondering why I put NW so far down its because they don't offer me the visa I need (I'm not a US citizen), I didn't rank BU for the same reason! NW only offers J1 not H1B, I didn't rank Cornell for the same reason!!

GOOD LUCK ALL!