Your College Experience in One Sentence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faith88

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on a scholarship application I was filling out this week, it asked me to describe my college experience in one sentence. I thought it might make for an interesting thread topic. So how would you describe your college experience in one sentence?

Members don't see this ad.

So on a scholarship application I was filling out this week, it asked me to describe my college experience in one sentence. I thought it might make for an interesting thread topic. So how would you describe your college experience in one sentence?

What did you answer?

I honestly would probably have to BS it a lil bit...so the "partying/social life" doesn't take over the sentence. But overall, def "best time of my life" as everyone says. and also the biggest change into a real adult. When I was 21 and looked back when I was 18, I thought i was so childish. Now that I'm 24, I look back when I was 21 and think that I was so childish. hahaha I really have grown up.

that's a hard question! I don't think I can fit all of the joys/sads/important-moments into a sentence, but a summary doesn't seem to do it justice. I'd probably say something along the lines of:

"Three and a half years of loving literature, the outdoors, and my part-time shelter job, before turning a double major in Spanish and English into what I actually want to do with my life-- and then staying here for two more years to master the sciences I need to take the next step."

of course right now I'm just starting those 2 years of sciences, so we'll see if I change my tune later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine didn't live up to my expectations

A dream come true.

the best 4 years of my life, filled with growth, excitement, responsibility, and the most amazing friends I could ever ever ask for

god I loved college.

Interesting, new, and confusing, with a couple of blank spots.

the best 4 years of my life, filled with growth, excitement, responsibility, and the most amazing friends I could ever ever ask for

god I loved college.

i completely agree!!

I was in a sorority so it was a bit different for me:

...my good friends are all I need- pass out at three, wake up at ten, go out to eat, then do it again; Man I love college!

I'm gonna miss it :(

"work work work, study study study, sleep sleep sleep... a little food, socializing, and personal hygiene in between."

everyone around me was stressazoid and it was crazy. i knew i needed to take a semester off after there was a suicide on campus. a close friend of mine was best friends with the girl so i ended up knowing more than i wish i had. i won't go through my college experience again even if someone paid me!

Amen Minnerbelle. I barely had time to eat one meal a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah the only reason I'm pushing through mine is for science pre-reqs. last semester had me almost not coming back.

and I'm in a sorority, have fun with my friends, know how to unwind... but college is still ridiculously stressful.

I would say something along the lines of...

It was like a game of tennis; a little love, a few faults, but overall a wonderful challenge.

I'm in love with this answer now. I'm going to copyright it lol.

It was like a game of tennis; a little love, a few faults, but overall a wonderful challenge.

OMG i love it!!! especially the love part..cuz u know, love in pts...or i guess lack of pts lol sooo super creative!!!!

Sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.

Opps, not this lifetime. :p

It would be along the lines of the most amazing experiences/opportunities, pushing myself beyond what I thought I could do, and realizing my passion. However that fits into a nice sentence. Gosh, that's harder than writing the PS in 5000 characters!

Mine was like Minnerbelle's, but more like work, work, work, work, class, class, study, study, sleep, work, work, work.

I am going to have to agree with the work, work, study, study, study, sleep, and every once in a great while throw in some social activity usually going to the movies or one of the on-campus carnival events (I won tickets to D-land at one of these carnivals.)

I cannot wait to get out of college. I absolutely hate it haha. I go out and have fun sometimes, but overall its disappointing.

More fun, intense, stressful, jam-packed, rewarding, incredible, and priceless than I ever believed possible. PSU LOVE :love:

everyone around me was stressazoid and it was crazy. i knew i needed to take a semester off after there was a suicide on campus. a close friend of mine was best friends with the girl so i ended up knowing more than i wish i had. i won't go through my college experience again even if someone paid me!

There was a suicide on my campus a few months ago... I didn't know the person but he did it in front of a professor during office hours. It really does make you think about your life and your priorities.

Anyhow, I don't even know where I would begin with describing college in one sentence. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but now that it's coming to an end I know I will miss college and I will look forward to being a student again soon.

Ohh good point Bearby. I forgot to mention all the creeps I dated in college.

"work work work, study study study, sleep sleep sleep... a little food, socializing, and personal hygiene in between."

PS: Minnerbelle, where did you go to undergrad?

There was a suicide on my campus a few months ago... I didn't know the person but he did it in front of a professor during office hours. It really does make you think about your life and your priorities.

...that is so sad.

There was a suicide on my campus a few months ago... I didn't know the person but he did it in front of a professor during office hours.

:eek: Holy cow!. Poor professor, too.

Here's mine, I don't even need an entire sentence just four words:

All over the place.

Too darn expensive.

Umm, yeah picking my college based on geographic wonderfulness instead of affordability was not such a hot idea.

I have nothing else to contribute except to point out that Hand42: your signature is awesome. I forget who does that bit (Lewis Black I believe) but it cracks me up every time. "And then, when you're about to lose total consciousness, you'll wonder 'if it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college'" (paraphrased).

i don't get it.....

Hmmm I couldn't find a youtube clip but Lewis Black has a semi famous rant where he talks about over hearing a woman in a restaurant seated near him say "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.""

then he goes on to comment how that statement lacks all reasonable logic but I think all horse owners know that it makes perfect sense;)

Here's another funny one about how the FEMA director that messed up Hurricane Katrina used to have a job running horse shows (and couldn't handle that one either)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxz54YXwL8

I heart Lewis Black

Let's see....mine would be:

Just the beginning of the rest of my life where I finally learned who I truly was, who my true friends were, and how to live life to its fullest while taking advantage of every opportunity life threw at me

:D

I'd have to say:

Four years of constant go and never-ending possibilities.

:eek:

PS: Minnerbelle, where did you go to undergrad?

good ole wellesley! shudders... as much as i appreciate my education there now that i'm out, i certainly would not do it again.

Ohh good point Bearby. I forgot to mention all the creeps I dated in college.

tell me about it (esp at swelles, where we're a secluded all women's college where the only readily accessible population of men are at MIT:laugh:) no joke, i had a guy go "i'd like to integrate over your curves" :scared:

What did you answer?

This was my answer. I totally forgot to put it with my first post!

"While at college, I was able to grow into the shoes of a leader and use new knowledge to link my passion for helping others and my passion for helping animals into my future career as a veterinarian; all while meeting people and having a little fun along the way."

Its cheezy I know.. but it was for a scholarship application. In reality I would probably say that this quote really encompassed my philosophy of my four years of college: "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." I played hard and also studied hard, and in the end I hope it pays off. :xf:

Come'on - Let's do a shot!

Last edited:
For undergrad:

"Wait, was that test today? Oops."

For vet school:

"If they try to make me cram one more bit of information my brain will literally start oozing out my ears."

My undergrad was an uniquely perplexing experiment in life.