YOUR ADVICE NEEDED! thanks :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Aboody

Got My Foot In The Door
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so this is my first post on here. I'd like to introduce myself with some basics: I'm a senior in Microbiology completing my last semester at a reputable university.

I have volunteered at a local hospital as a host transporter for over 100 hours, and at a free clinic as a medical assistant for over 100 hours as well. Other than those two, I have over 600 misc volunteer hours that I listed in detail in my app. I shadowed all specialties of physicians for over 150 hours. I have been very active with student organizations, and I was on the board of a religious SO for a year, was the vice president of an international human rights SO for a year, and am now the president of that organization.

During college I've always held two to three jobs at a time to help pay for my classes, etc. The most notable job I held was as a restaurant manager for 3 years. I now also tutor Arabic at the university.

I did biochemistry research for an entire semester, racking up 160 research hours on identifying the metabolic pathways of two newly discovered microorganisms.

I've always been active with sports: Soccer since the day I was born, basketball in middle school, football in high school, swimming, tae kwon do, and I play intramural soccer and football at the university. I'm also really into automotive performance tuning, I've been building cars since 2006, and when I mean building I mean everything from the ground up.

Okay so enough about myself, let's get back to why I'm here. I applied to this cycle unsuccessfully, and I know that it is 100% due to my scores. My LOR were all very strong, and I was told by my PreMed committee that my personal statement is strong. HOWEVER: My GPA is 3.06, and I've taken the MCAT twice: 20M (5,7,8) then 19N (5,5,9). Schools I applied to this cycle:

Oklahoma State University COM (status deferred)
Chicago COM (rejected)
WVSOM (status deferred)
Howard (status deferred)
Meharry (rejected)

I haven't received any interviews, and more than likely the schools which indicated a deferred status on my application will deny me an interview within the next couple of weeks. I've scheduled a KAPLAN course from 5/15-7/28 and I'm retaking the MCAT 7/29. I plan to greatly improve my MCAT (above 30) and reapply to these schools this summer:

Oklahoma State University COM
University of Oklahoma
Chicago COM
WVSOM
Michigan State University COM
University of North Dakota
Howard
Lake Erie COM
New York COM
Pikeville College SOM
University of New England COM
Caribbean schools?

I just wanted your advice on what schools to apply to, and what I can do to become a stronger applicant. I would really prefer staying local, as in OSU-COM, but I'm definitely not going to limit myself to that, I'm willing to do and/or go wherever it takes. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a lot of great experiences, and now need the stats. Unfortunately, those sometimes take a little time to drastically improve. Do you think you will have enough time to study for the MCAT? Even in addition to the course? 10 pts is a big jump in such a short time, unless your primary issue is testing rather than content, and the course helps you fix that.

Also, 3.06 is just squeaking past the minimum. Do you think your last semester grades will be stellar? Also, did you GPA trend up? Meaning, started low and got consistently high or was that a representative overall average? Other than killing the MCAT, I may look at trying to increase your GPA through some post bacc work. Also, look at DO stats and see where you fall.

I would also call the schools and see if you can get some advice directly from them, especially for the programs you are really interested it. Those are just some of my thoughts. Good luck!

Take a million practice tests! Even if you don't complete all of kaplans tedious homework and quizzes definitely take advantage of taking the full length practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you have a lot of great experiences, and now need the stats. Unfortunately, those sometimes take a little time to drastically improve. Do you think you will have enough time to study for the MCAT? Even in addition to the course? 10 pts is a big jump in such a short time, unless your primary issue is testing rather than content, and the course helps you fix that.

Also, 3.06 is just squeaking past the minimum. Do you think your last semester grades will be stellar? Also, did you GPA trend up? Meaning, started low and got consistently high or was that a representative overall average? Other than killing the MCAT, I may look at trying to increase your GPA through some post bacc work. Also, look at DO stats and see where you fall.

I would also call the schools and see if you can get some advice directly from them, especially for the programs you are really interested it. Those are just some of my thoughts. Good luck!

Thanks for your response!

I've scored as high as 29 on old AAMC exams.. so I don't think content is my problem. Being so busy throughout the semester, I was never able to actually sit down and STUDY for the MCAT. And I was never really able to finish the actual MCAT on time, so if Kaplan can improve my test-taking skills and briefly brush up on the material then I believe that will be my required boost into the 30's.

My last semester grades will more than likely reflect my overall average because it has been a tough semester for me so far, but I'm trying my best! At the end of my sophomore year I had a 3.0, and since then I've had my ups and downs, but I think the highest GPA I've had was 3.78 at the last semester of my junior year. I know that my GPA is the most detrimental thing to my app, but I don't believe that it has a direct correlation with how well I will perform in medical school. I have considered applying to graduate programs in medical sciences, but I'm going to wait at least until the end of this week when I'll know my chances of getting accepted at OSU-COM. Most of the schools I have applied to are DO schools because I feel much more comfortable with the DO approach, there is a DO school in my hometown, and I have a greater chance of getting accepted at a DO school vs MD schools.

I've met with the dean of admissions at OSU-COM, and she told me that if I don't get an interview by the end of this week that I should meet with her again to get me set for the next cycle. Her words gave me hope, but also hinted that I won't be matriculating this year.

Personally, I think my only hope is rocking the MCAT and presenting such a high score that it will serve as a balancing act with my GPA..

Take a million practice tests! Even if you don't complete all of kaplans tedious homework and quizzes definitely take advantage of taking the full length practice tests.

Thanks for your input! The Kaplan course I signed up for spans 2.5 months, I'm going to try my best to finish all their material within that time, if possible. When you say full length practice tests, you're talking about the ones Kaplan supplies, not the AAMC tests right? I still haven't received any of the Kaplan material because I just signed up and paid for the course yesterday.

Dr aboody,

It seems that u have an amazing extra-curricular activities but your stats are rather on the low side. I was in your shoes several years ago with a low GPA but a high mcat. Like u I worked 2 to 3 jobs in college to support myself and my family. This season I received multiple MD acceptances and here are some things that really helped me get in.
1. Improving my GPA trend- so your GPA is low but what about your trend. My trend was upward with my last quarter GPA being 4.0. I was able to convince the admin committee that I can do well in school if given the opportunity to study.

2. MCAT- I took the mcat more than once and was able to score above 30. This shows that I can take a standardized test in med school, such as the step 1, despite having english as my second language.

3.extra-curricular: pick one or two activities that you are passionate about. Do not do activities that you are not passionate about just because a premed counsellor told you to do it. It shows in the interview and personal statements.

4. Personal statement is very important. Make sure u give it someone who can give u a REAL feedback instead of giving u a sugar coat version of things.

5. Improve your academic record- don't rush. Take your time before applying again. Do a post bad or apply to an smp. Med schools wants to know how u have grown before applying to their school again.

Good luck and let me know if u have any specific question.

Cheers

Dr aboody,

It seems that u have an amazing extra-curricular activities but your stats are rather on the low side. I was in your shoes several years ago with a low GPA but a high mcat. Like u I worked 2 to 3 jobs in college to support myself and my family. This season I received multiple MD acceptances and here are some things that really helped me get in.
1. Improving my GPA trend- so your GPA is low but what about your trend. My trend was upward with my last quarter GPA being 4.0. I was able to convince the admin committee that I can do well in school if given the opportunity to study.

2. MCAT- I took the mcat more than once and was able to score above 30. This shows that I can take a standardized test in med school, such as the step 1, despite having english as my second language.

3.extra-curricular: pick one or two activities that you are passionate about. Do not do activities that you are not passionate about just because a premed counsellor told you to do it. It shows in the interview and personal statements.

4. Personal statement is very important. Make sure u give it someone who can give u a REAL feedback instead of giving u a sugar coat version of things.

5. Improve your academic record- don't rush. Take your time before applying again. Do a post bad or apply to an smp. Med schools wants to know how u have grown before applying to their school again.

Good luck and let me know if u have any specific question.

Cheers

Thanks for your response! As for my GPA trend, I don't plan on coming back to undergrad after I graduate this May, but I will definitely consider post-bac programs. I have heard about SMP's such as the ones offered by Loyola, Drexel, and TCOM. But do you know of any 1-year SMP's that I would be able get into with my stats, that have not passed the deadline for Fall 2011 enrollment? Please let me know, because this is something I'm very interested in pursuing. I appreciate your help.

Thanks for your response!..

You are welcome. It is great the you have a good contact at the school you are interested in that will help offer some guidance. They obviously are the best source as they are the ones evaluating you. Definitely stick to timing yourself during practice if finishing in time is an issue on the real test. Many people can get extremely high practice scores if they have unlimited time. As for post bacc, I would take the advice of the admissions people you talk to to see if it would really help you. If you won't do extremely well, it can actually hurt you. But, it can also help boost a GPA if you rock it. Again, good luck and I hope you hear something positive from the school.

Thanks for your response! As for my GPA trend, I don't plan on coming back to undergrad after I graduate this May, but I will definitely consider post-bac programs. I have heard about SMP's such as the ones offered by Loyola, Drexel, and TCOM. But do you know of any 1-year SMP's that I would be able get into with my stats, that have not passed the deadline for Fall 2011 enrollment? Please let me know, because this is something I'm very interested in pursuing. I appreciate your help.

Before you apply to an SMP, I think you need to raise your MCAT score first. Many SMP program will require at least a 30 on the MCAT or somewhat close to it (at least the program that I applied for before).
I would recommend the post-bac program at the Univ of Cinn. because of it's small class size (around 15) as oppose to program with a large # of students.
Also be aware that an SMP is a "do or die" sorta thing, meaning that if you don't do well in the program, you will have a hard time in getting into medical school.

Before you apply to an SMP, I think you need to raise your MCAT score first. Many SMP program will require at least a 30 on the MCAT or somewhat close to it (at least the program that I applied for before).
I would recommend the post-bac program at the Univ of Cinn. because of it's small class size (around 15) as oppose to program with a large # of students.
Also be aware that an SMP is a "do or die" sorta thing, meaning that if you don't do well in the program, you will have a hard time in getting into medical school.

Alright, I think I'm going to take your advice on this one. I'll retake the MCAT this summer, reapply super early, and see what my chances are. If I don't get in to any of the schools I apply to with a 30+ MCAT, then I'll apply to Caribbean schools. I honestly don't care what school I attend as long as I get to practice as a physician in a specialty that I enjoy.

What Caribbean school would you all recommend if I'm looking to specialize in trauma surgery for example? One that I could get into with my stats of course..

Edit: My current AMCAS GPA is 3.06 (bcpm 2.92, ao 3.36) and AACOMAS GPA is 3.14 (bcpm 3.02, ao 3.36).

Last edited:
So I retook the MCAT on July 29th, 2011 and scored a 23K (PS8, VR6, BS9).

I went a little overboard and applied to 19 schools this cycle, with secondaries in and all. Here they are listed:
Applications sent in August
1. Oklahoma State University, Tulsa, OK
2. University of Oklahoma, OKC, OK
3. Washington University, St. Louis, MO
Applications sent in September
4. Howard University, Washington, D.C.
5. Midwestern University, Chicago, IL
6. Lake Erie COM, Bradenton, FL
7. NOVA Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
8. New York Institute of Technology, New York, NY
Applications sent in October
9. A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Applications sent in November
10. A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
11. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV
12. Pikeville College, School of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
13. Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
14. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
15. Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
16. Philadelphia COM, Philadelphia, PA
17. University of New England, Portland, ME
18. William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS
19. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY

So far, I haven't heard anything back from any of the schools except for an early rejection by Midwestern University.

I'm studying to retake the MCAT on January 28th, 2012. I'm also retaking two undergrad science courses next semester that will bump my science GPA up from 2.98 to 3.23.

I have two questions:

1. What are my chances at landing interviews/acceptances at any of these schools?

2. What are my chances in the Caribbean? Specifically at Ross, SGU, and AUC?

In case you haven't read the previous posts in this thread: I have tons and tons of EC's, and I graduated this May with a microbiology degree from a reputable university. Since then, I have been studying for the MCAT, performing clinical research at a local hospital, and volunteering my time organizing community and youth events, as well as at the hospital.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I would apply very widely, to both MD and DO programs. 19 schools isn't really a lot with your stats. Next cycle I would apply to as many as possible - and more post-bacc classes would help some. But a current GPA of 2.98 is what's killing your app.

Of note, there is also no field of "ER surgery." There's ER, and General Surgery, and Acute Care Surgery, and Trauma Surgery...you may mean the latter. But I wouldn't worry about that right now.

I would apply very widely, to both MD and DO programs. 19 schools isn't really a lot with your stats. Next cycle I would apply to as many as possible - and more post-bacc classes would help some. But a current GPA of 2.98 is what's killing your app.

Of note, there is also no field of "ER surgery." There's ER, and General Surgery, and Acute Care Surgery, and Trauma Surgery...you may mean the latter. But I wouldn't worry about that right now.

Yes, I meant trauma surgery, and I know that isn't of importance right now. I'm retaking classes to raise my GPA next semester, and retaking the MCAT Jan. 28th. I would appreciate it if you would answer either of my questions.. here they are again:

1. What are my chances at landing interviews/acceptances at any of these schools?
2. What are my chances in the Caribbean? Specifically at Ross, SGU, and AUC?

I would appreciate answers from experience, thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cut down on working/paid jobs and study more. The GPA needs to come up.
Extracurriculars won't make up for a weak GPA and weak MCAT, although I think some people are willing to cut some slack on the verbal score for people who may not be native English speakers (I know I would think it is warranted).

You will be very unlikely to get into any US MD Schools with your stats.

You should put in your DO applications earlier next year.

I'm not sure going to the Caribbean with that MCAT score is a good idea. The reason is that it tends to predict lower USMLE scores, and people in Caribbean med schools get ranked a lot (by residency programs) based on their USMLE scores (test that you take during med school) in order to decide whether to accept the students into their residencies. This is because they often aren't too familiar with the Caribbean schools and some of the Caribbean schools don't provide a very good education.

Again, extracurricular activities are good and it's good that you cared about something except studying 100% of the time, but the med schools have to KNOW That you can do the work. When schools look at someone with a marginal GPA and low MCAT, they can't tell the difference between someone who overextended himself too much, or may have a problem with reading really fast in a 2nd language or something, and someone who just can't problem solve or integrate large amouns of information.

Cut down on working/paid jobs and study more. The GPA needs to come up.
Extracurriculars won't make up for a weak GPA and weak MCAT, although I think some people are willing to cut some slack on the verbal score for people who may not be native English speakers (I know I would think it is warranted).

You will be very unlikely to get into any US MD Schools with your stats.

You should put in your DO applications earlier next year.

I'm not sure going to the Caribbean with that MCAT score is a good idea. The reason is that it tends to predict lower USMLE scores, and people in Caribbean med schools get ranked a lot (by residency programs) based on their USMLE scores (test that you take during med school) in order to decide whether to accept the students into their residencies. This is because they often aren't too familiar with the Caribbean schools and some of the Caribbean schools don't provide a very good education.

Again, extracurricular activities are good and it's good that you cared about something except studying 100% of the time, but the med schools have to KNOW That you can do the work. When schools look at someone with a marginal GPA and low MCAT, they can't tell the difference between someone who overextended himself too much, or may have a problem with reading really fast in a 2nd language or something, and someone who just can't problem solve or integrate large amouns of information.

Thanks for your input, and I agree that what you're saying makes perfect sense. I'll do my best to duke it out with the MCAT until my January test date, and I'm going to take a sabbatical from clinical research and volunteering until early February. What is the likelihood I'll at least land some DO interviews with an improved MCAT score during this cycle, say a 27? Otherwise, I'll be reapplying in June.

Thanks for your input, and I agree that what you're saying makes perfect sense. I'll do my best to duke it out with the MCAT until my January test date, and I'm going to take a sabbatical from clinical research and volunteering until early February. What is the likelihood I'll at least land some DO interviews with an improved MCAT score during this cycle, say a 27? Otherwise, I'll be reapplying in June.

Your chances are good if you apply to do school with 27 score on MCAT early next cycle.

Okay so this is my first post on here. I'd like to introduce myself with some basics: I'm a senior in Microbiology completing my last semester at the University of Oklahoma.

I have volunteered at a local hospital as a host transporter for over 100 hours, and at a free clinic as a medical assistant for over 100 hours as well. Other than those two, I have over 600 misc volunteer hours that I listed in detail in my app. I shadowed all specialties of physicians for over 150 hours. I have been very active with student organizations, and I was on the board of the Muslim Students Association for a year, was the vice president of an international human rights student organization for a year, and am now the president of that organization.

During college I've always held two to three jobs at a time to help pay for my classes, etc. The most notable job I held was as a restaurant manager for 3 years. I now also tutor Arabic at the university.

I did biochemistry research for an entire semester, racking up 160 research hours on identifying the metabolic pathways of two newly discovered microorganisms.

I've always been active with sports: Soccer since the day I was born, basketball in middle school, football in high school, swimming, tae kwon do, and I play intramural soccer and football at the university. I'm also really into automotive performance tuning, I've been building a car since 2006, and when I mean building I mean everything from the ground up.

Okay so enough nonsense about myself, lets get back to why I'm here. I applied to this cycle unsuccessfully, and I know that it is 100% due to my scores. My LOR were all very strong, and I was told by my PreMed committee that my personal statement is strong. HOWEVER: My GPA is 3.06, and I've taken the MCAT twice: 20M (5,7,8) then 19N (5,5,9). Schools I applied to this cycle:

Chicago COM (rejected)
WVSOM (status deferred)
Howard (status deferred)
Meharry (rejected)

I haven't received any interviews, and more than likely the schools which indicated a deferred status on my application will deny me an interview within the next couple of weeks. I've scheduled a KAPLAN course from 5/15-7/28 and I'm retaking the MCAT 7/29. I plan to greatly improve my MCAT (above 30) and reapply to these schools this summer:

University of Oklahoma
Chicago COM
WVSOM
Howard
Lake Erie COM
New York COM
Pikeville College SOM
Caribbean schools?

I just wanted your advice on what schools to apply to, and what I can do to become a stronger applicant. I would really prefer staying local, as in OSU-COM, but I'm definitely not going to limit myself to that, I'm willing to do and/or go wherever it takes. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Not sure if you qualify, but if you meet the qualifications, OSU has a Bridge Program that would get you in even if you didn't improve your MCAT...if you were accepted. But those stats are common for the program.

Not sure if you qualify, but if you meet the qualifications, OSU has a Bridge Program that would get you in even if you didn't improve your MCAT...if you were accepted. But those stats are common for the program.

Thanks. I applied to OSU's bridge program last cycle in January and didn't even land an interview. I reapplied to it this cycle in August and haven't heard any news yet, but I do know that they give interviews for the program during the first week of April. When they actually give out the interview invitations I am unaware of.

Thanks Guys!
signature_couponcodes.jpg

Okay so this is my first post on here. I'd like to introduce myself with some basics: I'm a senior in Microbiology completing my last semester at a reputable university.

I have volunteered at a local hospital as a host transporter for over 100 hours, and at a free clinic as a medical assistant for over 100 hours as well. Other than those two, I have over 600 misc volunteer hours that I listed in detail in my app. I shadowed all specialties of physicians for over 150 hours. I have been very active with student organizations, and I was on the board of a religious SO for a year, was the vice president of an international human rights SO for a year, and am now the president of that organization.

I've always been active with sports: Soccer since the day I was born, basketball in middle school, football in high school, swimming, tae kwon do, and I play intramural soccer and football at the university. I'm also really into automotive performance tuning, I've been building cars since 2006, and when I mean building I mean everything from the ground up.

Okay so enough about myself, let's get back to why I'm here. I applied to this cycle unsuccessfully, and I know that it is 100% due to my scores. My LOR were all very strong, and I was told by my PreMed committee that my personal statement is strong. HOWEVER: My GPA is 3.06, and I've taken the MCAT twice: 20M (5,7,8) then 19N (5,5,9). Schools I applied to this cycle:

Chicago COM (rejected)
WVSOM (status deferred)
Howard (status deferred)
Meharry (rejected)

University of Oklahoma
Chicago COM
WVSOM
Howard
Lake Erie COM
New York COM
Pikeville College SOM
Caribbean schools?

Hey so, what's your science gpa?

And I saw that you applied to a couple of historically black colleges, are you a medically URM?

But I mean, the gpa is low but I guess marginally acceptable. The mcat score is not even close. The adcoms need to know that you can handle med school by doing getting a score at least within the ballpark of their other applicants. My advice would be to not even think about what else to do until after the mcat and focus all efforts into doing well this time around.

Reading what you said about not really having time to sit down a study, that makes a lot of sense. Everyone I know who did well sat down for a month or two just to study. It's that kind of test...

If you make it a priority this time I bet you'll do a whole lot better

Last edited:
Your GPA is low and your MCAT is terrible. Unless you legitimately didn't study for your retake, I think you're going to have a really tough time getting a 30+ this time around.

Your ECs are obviously good, and according to you your PS is good as well. The problem is, schools won't look at your ECs or read your PS when they see a 3.0 and a 19 MCAT. No offense, but a 19 is lower than what most people get on a diagnostic.

I think you should retake classes that you got C's or worse in, and not bank on getting a 30+ MCAT. You need to get a decent MCAT (27+) obviously, but again, it's not likely that you will break 30 unless you completely blew off your first two tries. Not only can you gaurantee a boost in your GPA by retaking classes, but judging from your PS scores, I'm assuming you didn't do too hot in undergrad physics or chem. Retaking and really learning the material will help you more for the MCAT than any prep class will if you don't have a strong background in pre-reqs. Trust me, I know. I just retook 3 pre-reqs that I got C-'s in and now I can't believe I didn't understand the material before. It has made prepping for my MCAT retake way easier.

Hi guys,

I would like to study medecine in a foreign college, maybe USA or UK, but I would prefer to prepare me to the ammission exam attending a pre medical course, in order to be able to prepare my self for the best to the exam.
Could you suggest me the name of some association, institute or school, that organises pre-medical courses to the access to the college?
I will be waiting for your aswer,

thanks in advance,

Best,
Pollon

Hey so, what's your science gpa?

And I saw that you applied to a couple of historically black colleges, are you a medically URM?

But I mean, the gpa is low but I guess marginally acceptable. The mcat score is not even close. The adcoms need to know that you can handle med school by doing getting a score at least within the ballpark of their other applicants. My advice would be to not even think about what else to do until after the mcat and focus all efforts into doing well this time around.

Reading what you said about not really having time to sit down a study, that makes a lot of sense. Everyone I know who did well sat down for a month or two just to study. It's that kind of test...

If you make it a priority this time I bet you'll do a whole lot better

Science GPA is currently 2.98, will be 3.23 after this semester is over in May. Thanks for your advice.

Your GPA is low and your MCAT is terrible. Unless you legitimately didn't study for your retake, I think you're going to have a really tough time getting a 30+ this time around.

Your ECs are obviously good, and according to you your PS is good as well. The problem is, schools won't look at your ECs or read your PS when they see a 3.0 and a 19 MCAT. No offense, but a 19 is lower than what most people get on a diagnostic.

I think you should retake classes that you got C's or worse in, and not bank on getting a 30+ MCAT. You need to get a decent MCAT (27+) obviously, but again, it's not likely that you will break 30 unless you completely blew off your first two tries. Not only can you gaurantee a boost in your GPA by retaking classes, but judging from your PS scores, I'm assuming you didn't do too hot in undergrad physics or chem. Retaking and really learning the material will help you more for the MCAT than any prep class will if you don't have a strong background in pre-reqs. Trust me, I know. I just retook 3 pre-reqs that I got C-'s in and now I can't believe I didn't understand the material before. It has made prepping for my MCAT retake way easier.

GPA is 3.13, MCAT is (PS8, VR6, BS9) 23, not 19. I am currently retaking classes I did poorly in, I'll have a 3.23 science GPA and a 3.27 cumulative GPA by the end of this semester--I know these are still very low. I actually made A's in all of my undergrad biology, chemistry, organic, and physics courses. My problem with the MCAT has always been time and stress, not the material involved. During my Kaplan course I made as high as a 32 on AAMC 11, so 30 isn't absolutely impossible. Out of 6 practice tests my average was between 26-27. Every time I've taken the real thing, and that has been three times so far, I end up running out of time on some sections and just plainly overlooking silly mistakes. I'm trying to devote as much time to studying as possible. Thanks for your advice, wish me luck!

If you've taken the MCAT three times and your scores have been 20, 19 and 23 (as posted by you in the above posts), you're going to have to do something different in your prep to score your goal of 30. Whatever you were doing before - you need to either supplement it, or change it up. Were you scoring in the high 20s when preparing for your previous tests? Then you need to improve and score in the 30s (clearly, the practice tests weren't accurate then). If your problem is time management (running out of time), you need to work on reading more quickly and developing that reading comprehension. If you're making silly mistakes, you need to develop a strategy to double-check your answers.

Just doing the same thing over and over again isn't going to get you from an average MCAT score of 21 to 30.

If you've taken the MCAT three times and your scores have been 20, 19 and 23 (as posted by you in the above posts), you're going to have to do something different in your prep to score your goal of 30. Whatever you were doing before - you need to either supplement it, or change it up. Were you scoring in the high 20s when preparing for your previous tests? Then you need to improve and score in the 30s (clearly, the practice tests weren't accurate then). If your problem is time management (running out of time), you need to work on reading more quickly and developing that reading comprehension. If you're making silly mistakes, you need to develop a strategy to double-check your answers.

Just doing the same thing over and over again isn't going to get you from an average MCAT score of 21 to 30.

You're absolutely right. Insanity is repeating the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results--which is exactly what I did the first three times I took the MCAT. I have changed so many things about how I am preparing for the MCAT. I removed the preconceived notions that I had, put aside my ego, and relearned the material from scratch. I'm doing what I believe to be my best, and I'll leave the rest up to fate. Thanks for your thoughts.

You're absolutely right. Insanity is repeating the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results--which is exactly what I did the first three times I took the MCAT. I have changed so many things about how I am preparing for the MCAT.

Good! So what else are you doing differently? Different prep class? Different test-taking strategies? Different practice tests? Tutor? Study group?

Good! So what else are you doing differently? Different prep class? Different test-taking strategies? Different practice tests? Tutor? Study group?

Different practice tests, better developed test-taking strategies, along with more efficient study habits. I'm studying alone with Kaplan, EK, and PR materials. I've already seen an improvement in scoring trends. Test day is in 11 days.. Wish me luck!!

Different practice tests, better developed test-taking strategies, along with more efficient study habits. I'm studying alone with Kaplan, EK, and PR materials. I've already seen an improvement in scoring trends. Test day is in 11 days.. Wish me luck!!

good luck!

Good luck, I hope you do well!

I took a TPR course, and my instructor emphasized the importance of entering the MCAT with a fresh mind. Try not to take any practice tests 5 days or less before the actual MCAT. For one, they're exhausting and two, if you do poorly it can have a huge blow to your ego because theoretically you do not have time to "fix" problem areas anymore. The MCAT is stressful enough on its own; you do not need to add to it. Kevin also emphasized that students should stop studying new material 2 days before the exam. Instead, just read through your notes and refresh yourself on what you have already been studying. I found this all to be good advice, especially reviewing old material rather than learning new material.

BEST OF LUCK! I sincerely hope you do well - you are definitely determined to do so. :)

Thank you all, and thanks for the advice!

One more piece of advice (as your test date nears)...get off SDN until after the test. It's amazing how much time you can spend on this site.

It feels SO good to be done!

Chicago COM (rejected)
WVSOM (status deferred)
Howard (status deferred)
Meharry (rejected)

University of Oklahoma
Chicago COM
WVSOM
Howard
Lake Erie COM
New York COM
Pikeville College SOM
Caribbean schools?

You have a diversified and solid background. That will look great to he medical school. Now comes your hurdles: gpa and MCAT. Personally , I'd spend a solid 3-4 months MCAT prep session ( a course if you can afford it too).

SN2ED put up a nice sample study outline. GL