Your advice matters.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBcb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'll give you a little bit of my story and let's go from there. I went to a county college 10 years ago to take the pre-reqs to get into surgical tech school. I only took bio, anatomy and half of general chem there. I finished with about 70 credits and a 3.22 gpa (sGPA about the same).
I then transferred to a university just to try to get a 4 year degree of any sort. I start taking classes without much regard building up another 25 credits with a 2.6 gpa for that (no science) and never completed a degree.
After working as a scrub tech for a few years I ended up getting a job with a major ortho trauma company. I make a very good living, but have decided that sales is not what I'd like to do. After thinking about going into ortho or podiatry for a while now, I feel I've made up my mind. I spent some time with a podiatrist in Haiti after the earthquake and I feel podiarty is a great fit for me.
I'm now back at the same university (5 year gap) and have only taken 3 classes so far. I've gotten A's, but it seems like a drop in the bucket.
Here are my thoughts.
1. Finish the pre-reqs at the county college. Not because it's easier, but for the scheduling is more compatible. Again, I work in ortho trauma and my hours are very demanding. If I take this route I can finish all of them by the end of next summer.
2. Take the GRE since I would not have all of the course work completed in time for the MCAT. Also, Temple is my #1 choice and they don't currently require the MCAT. I mean no disrespect to any other schools, but Temple would just be a perfect fit for my life (Wife, house, family and stuff like that). With all of the course work completed along with the GRE, I'd like to try to apply for a late admission.
3. If this plan does not work, I'll continue to work on completing my degree and take more advanced coursework while studying for the MCAT (if denied to Temple round 1).

Questions:
1. Do they combine GPAs from the county college and university?
2. What is the minimum amount of necessary info to start my application?
3. Do you see any gaps or flaws in my planning?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!

Members don't see this ad.

What made you decide podiatry was for you and what kind of exposure have you had to the daily work life of a practicing podiatrist (and I am talking beyond foot and ankle surgery)? Have you done any shadowing in podiatry clinics?

As for the first part of your question, I like the life style that you can create. I feel that you can mold your practice to be whatever you desire. I like the mix that I'm exposed to being about 50/50 with office and surgery. I also just like podiatrist in general. I share their thoughts on a life of work with family. The guys that I've gotten to know through work I've become friends with. We go surfing, shooting and bike riding when we have time.
I spent a couple of weeks in Haiti doing I&Ds on feet along with countless washouts and wound care. This doesn't even count the amps and ex-fix frames that we put on. There were more foot injuries than most people would see in a life time. Having that experience helped, because I noticed that I was busier with the podiatrist than the ortho trauma surgeon we went down with (granted he was very limited due to conditions).
I've been spending any free time I have with one of my local docs in his office. I try to get in with him about once a week on his busiest day. We see about 50 patients together each day. I feel that my exposure with him has given me a good understanding of what I'm getting into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatry is one of the best OK careers to fall back on.

Last edited:
I think it looks a little fishy to have never taken a science class from a 4 year university and to have all of your science pre-reqs from a community college. On top of that, taking the GRE instead of the MCAT kinda makes it look like you are trying to skip out on all of the hard stuff. While i do believe that you are doing it this way for scheduling/cost/timing to take the GRE I think that this might look really strange to an admissions committee when you apply. You might want to email the school and ask their opinion on not having any science credits from a 4 year university + taking the GRE instead of the MCAT.

Your science GPA is relatively average for podiatry school however I would assume that pod schools would expect you to have a higher science GPA than 3.2 if you took all of your science classes at a junior college (as in general they are considered much easier than 4 year universities). But then again some of the posts I read make it seem like all you need is a pulse and you will be accepted...but I hear graduating and getting a residency spot is a different story.

Yeah, I know things look a little fishy, but I have to do the best with what I have. If the four year schools offered their science classes as a bundled package I'd gladly go there. I'd rather use those credits towards my degree. The fact is, they don't currently offer a single night lecture that is 4-5 hours followed by a lab. The CC does, go figure. As I didn't mention before, I'm 30 years old and can't afford to quit my job and just go to school. I have a mortgage to pay. I need classes that start around 6. Good luck even finding a lab open after 4pm at a 4 year. At my 4 year you have an evening lecture M,T,W 6-8:40pm Recitation Th 5-5:50 and F lab 11am. Try telling your boss that you can't work Friday's.
To address the other issue of the MCAT, I won't finish Orgo till the end of next August. From what I've read it's a horrible idea to take the MCAT before finishing that class. Also, I would be way too late to apply for that cycle with an August MCAT. I wouldn't even get the results till September. I thought the GRE would be a good idea, but I'm not feeling the love on that idea.
Since it looks like I'll have to take the MCAT, I think I'm going to finish my degree and apply broadly for the following year. We'll see what happens.

Good idea on not taking the GRE. That would only limit you to a couple schools...possibly only Temple. Almost all the schools have transitioned to only allowing the MCAT for admission. Applying broadly will give you the best chance of being accepted somewhere. Good luck!

I would defintely take the MCAT, as mentioned above, GRE is going to limit the places where you can apply.

Also I am not sure how I would feel about taking classes only at a community college. I understand your situation with your work schedule and other obligations, however, most adcoms like to see upperdivision coursework at a 4 year university if most of your pre-reqs are from a CC.

Lastly I would check out a thread about the Scholl college here where admissions officer answers questions. Good Luck

I disagree that it is imperative to take your courses at a university. I know plenty of people who took all or most of their pre-reqs at a CC and had no problem getting accepted. In fact, had I known that to be the case, I probably would have taken more of mine there and saved myself some money/time commuting.

I took one semester of O.Chem and one semester of Physics at a CC and no one questioned it at all during the application process. I think its more important that you do well in those classes, not so much where you take them.

And I know some people will try to pretend like they learned more or had more advanced training at a University, but I personally didn't feel that there was much difference in what I learned at one place or the other. In fact, I had plenty of professors at CC that were much more intelligent and much better teachers than those I had in University. My O. Chem prof was one of those.

I don't think they will have a problem with your classwork. You will need a 21 or higher on that MCAT though. Most schools are drifting in that direction. They seem to think it will be reflective of your ability to handle the boards in your second year as well as somewhat of an indicator of your ability to cope with the first year.

Yeah, I know things look a little fishy, but I have to do the best with what I have. If the four year schools offered their science classes as a bundled package I'd gladly go there. I'd rather use those credits towards my degree. The fact is, they don't currently offer a single night lecture that is 4-5 hours followed by a lab. The CC does, go figure. As I didn't mention before, I'm 30 years old and can't afford to quit my job and just go to school. I have a mortgage to pay. I need classes that start around 6. Good luck even finding a lab open after 4pm at a 4 year. At my 4 year you have an evening lecture M,T,W 6-8:40pm Recitation Th 5-5:50 and F lab 11am. Try telling your boss that you can't work Friday's.
To address the other issue of the MCAT, I won't finish Orgo till the end of next August. From what I've read it's a horrible idea to take the MCAT before finishing that class. Also, I would be way too late to apply for that cycle with an August MCAT. I wouldn't even get the results till September. I thought the GRE would be a good idea, but I'm not feeling the love on that idea.
Since it looks like I'll have to take the MCAT, I think I'm going to finish my degree and apply broadly for the following year. We'll see what happens.

Have you spoken to Temple? All of the pod schools have admissions people to assist. Given your exposure to trauma and ortho, a school may waive the MCAT or allow you entrance regardless of the score. Another question is: What happens when you have to leave your family for externships or residency in a few years? If you are committed to a certain region it would be important to discuss the reality of remaining in this location with the school. Perhaps they will offer you residency locally but do not count on it. Many pods have to bounce all over the USA for training. Ask the tough questions to the schools before you take on this venture. Best of luck.

Given your exposure to trauma and ortho, a school may waive the MCAT or allow you entrance regardless of the score.

I have never heard of a school "waiving" the MCAT.

Hi CBcb,

I would suggest to make an appointment with Temple admission. Explain to them what you posted. I'm sure they will help you on what you need to do. It can only be positive and gives you an idea how the school interacts with students, IMO. Best of luck :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently a nursing student but not sure I want to be in this field. It's hard to explain but not feeling very passionate about it..I enjoy the patient interaction aspect of the job. I want to help people, but nursing seems very limited on improving the patient's lives. I want to make a true impact and a difference, your also very limited on where you work, and will always have a boss and I don't believe that is is a field that is very conducive to having a family, I'm 31 and in 5-8 years would like to start settling down and raising a child, but not necessarily give up my career to do that. That being said I have about a year and a half left in the program and don't want to quit...so my thoughts are look into a different field and try to knock out the required pre-req's while completing the nursing degree. I've begun to research alot of the health professions and trying to make sure they would be careers that would also be elgible to help me become a officer in the military, because that is one of my goals...the careers that really appealed to me were Physical Therapist, Dietician, Radiologist and Podiatrist, I'm going to shadow all of them, but podiatry is having a strong pull on me..so these are my questions as far as pre-req's go, May 2012, I graduate with my BSN, and I would like to start the Podiatry program in Fall 2012 (Dependent upon, if I feel I would be a good fit for Podiatry,after shadowing) Not entirely sure when i should take the MCAT..this is the order I was thinking of doing my pre-req's due to my lack of science background-also what is everyone's opinion on when I should take the MCAT?

Spring 2011
Chem 1241/43-Gen Chem 2 with lab
BIO 1144-General Zoology with lab
Nursing Courses-13 Credits

Summer 1 2011

Speech
Nursing Course 5 credits
Bio 1544-General Botany with lab

Summer 2 2011
Nursing Course from Sum 1 extends to Summer 2 (5 credits)

Fall 2011

Chem 2001/2003-Organic Chem 1 with lab
Physics 1
Nursing Courses-10 credits

Spring 2012

Chem 2011/2013-Organic Chem 2 with lab
Physics 2
Nursing courses -10 credits

so these are some of my questions Chem is def a weak point for me, so it isn't a good idea for me to take them during the summer, is Physics doable over the summer and obtain an A in those classes, or are long semesters a better option? I did see that only 8 BiO classes are required and the Zoology and Botany are the classes I'm taking, but would like to take more in the Summer of 2012, and I was wondering which classes are recommended from someone who has been in that situation,thanks, or would I be over doing it, and be satisfied with only 8 Bio credits?? Also if someone thinks there is a better order to take these classes please let me know

- That is very respectable that you want to continue with higher education in medicine. Being realistic, your age is a factor, but I don't think it will hurt you in the application process. I think the only factor it will have will be on what you want outside of your new medical profession. With 4 years of podiatry school and 3 years of residency to become a doctor in this field, it will not be easy by any means. Your class schedule looks fine, however I would recommend taking the MCAT after your Spring 2012 semester. You want to have a good 3 months of high intensity study, at least, but more would be ideal to take the beast. So I feel like a 2013 entry would give you better chances of knocking everything out and get As and a good MCAT score like you need to be a competitive applicant. You do not want the two to conflict and comprise one or the other. Also, it is always nice to have all of the pre-req science course work done before you take the MCAT. I think Exam Krackers are the best tool to study for the test (Use the EK Gen Chem/Orgo books for help in your regular classes if you are weak in Chem) Either way if you still feel like you can obtain the two for the 2012 admission then go for it. Best of luck and you can do it.