Your advice is greatly appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Am I too old to go to medical school?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

angelpige

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Glad to 'meet' everyone here.
Long story short, I had a PhD and is now in my 40s yet my passion for internal medicine has been telling me that I should go to med school and start a career in medicine.
My only fear is maybe I am too old for medical school applications?
Please help, any advice is much appreciated.
Angel P.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you DV-T. Much appreciated. Your 'nope' meaning I am too old to go or I am not too old to go to med school at all.
Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you DV-T. Much appreciated. Your 'nope' meaning I am too old to go or I am not too old to go to med school at all.
Thanks again.

Not old at all. Go for it!!!

@Goro has indicated that some of his best students were in their 40s and 50s.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both; your responses meant alot to me!

Do it Angel!

I am 36 and won't be starting med school closer to 40 and I am excited to bring my life experiences and passions to this world of healing! We could use more physicians that are passionate about helping people in a humanistic way. At your age, it seems like (or maybe this is a hopefully assumption) non traditional mature students would be thoughtful about the kind of healthcare provider they would make. Ive talked to a lot of students well into their 40s and students who have been in class with fellow students in their 40s, and they all pretty much say the same thing--mature students bring a whole new dynamic and value to the room. Best of luck!