Young's Double Slit experiment (BR Mistake?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSerenity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Lets call distance between maxima "y"

if L is directly proportional to Y AND d is inversely proportional to Y, increasing both of them by a factor of 4 should have no effect.

Why is B wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

You're making a subtle error reading the choice (I did too). Choice B is saying that you increase the distance between the slit AND viewing screen,

NOT:

1) Increase the separation between the slits by a factor of 4 AND
2) Increase the viewing screen by a factor of 4.

You're reading choice B as an increase to 2 things, but it's only an increase to 1 thing, namely the distance.

*Only L is increasing, nothing is happening to d.

You're making a subtle error reading the choice (I did too). Choice B is saying that you increase the distance between the slit AND viewing screen,

NOT:

1) Increase the separation between the slits by a factor of 4 AND
2) Increase the viewing screen by a factor of 4.

You're reading choice B as an increase to 2 things, but it's only an increase to 1 thing, namely the distance.

*Only L is increasing, nothing is happening to d.

Ahh of course. Thanks friend ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering if the following are BR mistakes?

(These are both on the "Top 10 Section Goals" first page of the chapter.)

Electric Circuits #4
Know how to relate voltage across a circuit element to the current passing through it, and to its resonance. Realize that the voltage refers to a potential difference between two points in the circuit.

Fluids and Solids #5
Know why larger flow areas produce greater flow velocities. Realize that flow velocity changes because the volume flow rate of a fluid is assumed to be constant, given that the fluid is incompressible.

Electric Circuits #8
Know how the voltage across a capacitor determines the amount of charge it can store. Know why capacitance decreases when a dielectric material is placed between a capacitor's two conducting areas.

So, are the above parts in red errors, or am I missing something? (Sometimes people think they've spotted an error when it's really a gap in their own knowledge. This is why I ask. TBR error or my mistake?)

Last edited:
I was also wondering if the following are BR mistakes?

(These are both on the "Top 10 Section Goals" first page of the chapter.)

Electric Circuits #4
Know how to relate voltage across a circuit element to the current passing through it, and to its resonance. Realize that the voltage refers to a potential difference between two points in the circuit.

Fluids and Solids #5
Know why larger flow areas produce greater flow velocities. Realize that flow velocity changes because the volume flow rate of a fluid is assumed to be constant, given that the fluid is incompressible.

Electric Circuits #8
Know how the voltage across a capacitor determines the amount of charge it can store. Know why capacitance decreases when a dielectric material is placed between a capacitor's two conducting areas.

So, are the above parts in red errors, or am I missing something? (Sometimes people think they've spotted an error when it's really a gap in their own knowledge. This is why I ask. TBR error or my mistake?)

their mistake