young nontrad - requesting advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

econ2med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 23 years old and have a bachelors in business economics from a UC. My graduating GPA was 3.41. In my third year of undergraduate, I decided to pursue the premedical pre-requisites after finishing my business econ degree. At this time, i shadowed and volunteered. I know i am young to be called a 'nontrad' but the practical and down-to-earth advice offered here is helpful.

In the first quarter of my prerequisites at the UC, I took physics, chemistry and biology and earned a B+, C, and C+ respectively. The next quarter I convinced myself that if I worked harder I could take the next series of physics, biology and chemistry and do well. I was wrong and realized this when my grades from the first round of exams came back. As a result I withdrew from chemistry so I could focus and do well in biology and physics. I realize I must take a hard look at my study habits in order to continue to do well. But taking three science classes at a time is not feasible. After this year i will have to finish chemistry, ochem, and some upper division classes (upper divs to show medical schools I can handle the science classes.)

As of now I have one more quarter at the UC before my money runs out. When this happens, I'll have to take a part time job to continue to finance my pre-requisites at community college.

Nontrads of SDN, how would you handle my situation? Should I take one class at a time while working? I have to take ochem after I finish gen chem, does this mean I can only take each class successively? (one at a time) I know medical schools want to see nontrads finish their pre-requisites in a 'rigorous' manner. Will taking one class at a time hurt my chances? I am also considering DO schools. Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stop taking classes and go work in industry for a couple years. Then apply to a good school to do a 2nd bachelors, so that you can focus on academics.

You'll think this sounds outrageous. Start asking some of your older classmates how much better they are as students after being away from school for a while. Taking years off and then going back at it is a nice dividing line for med school admissions committees as they're trying to understand your story.

Best of luck to you.

I'll be very blunt here--if you can't handle three science classes simultaneously, how will you be able to deal with the even more intense pace of medical school? Until you can come up with a good answer to that question and have proof that you can indeed succeed in a full schedule of difficult classes, you need to consider another career.

If you want to keep trying for medical school I'm going to agree with DrMidlife that you should go back to work until you are able to return to school full time. Taking one community college class at a time while working isn't going to impress anyone, not with a string of bad grades on your record. Wait a few years and save up enough for another year or two at a 4-year school. Retake those C's, and this time get nothing but perfect grades, no matter how much work it takes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your guys' advice. More advice is welcomed

To be fair, taking three pre-reqs + lab at the same time is going hose most people.

Solitarius thank you for your compassion! I definitely did feel hosed down. I understand medical school has a rigorous curriculum and my poor performance in those classes does not prove myself capable. Let me ask you guys this. How else can i better approach this situation?

Okay dude, this is what I would recommend

respect the process

What does this mean? It means premed is an extremely difficult experience that will burn you in the butt if you don't handle things properly. For example, taking three pre-reqs is not having respect for how difficult these classes are. Or, assuming admissions committees are not going to suspiciously at A's at community college after C's and B's at a regular UC.

Or, assuming you can do this process part-time. It's a rough road. If I were you, I would work and make some money. When you saved enough to go at this thing full time (quit your job) and throw yourself entirely into the coursework, ECs, and MCAT. If/when you do it again, do it right and respect the process.

You can take Gen (Inorganic) Chem and basic Biology in one year, then do Physics and Organic Chem in a second year. Then, poof, all of the bare minimum schience reqs are done. Some schools might require a second year of Bio, and you simple take a 3rd year. If you're working, at least you'll have saved up some money and will be older and wiser than most applicants, which is a good thing.

I am 23 years old and have a bachelors in business economics from a UC. My graduating GPA was 3.41. In my third year of undergraduate, I decided to pursue the premedical pre-requisites after finishing my business econ degree. At this time, i shadowed and volunteered. I know i am young to be called a 'nontrad' but the practical and down-to-earth advice offered here is helpful.

In the first quarter of my prerequisites at the UC, I took physics, chemistry and biology and earned a B+, C, and C+ respectively. The next quarter I convinced myself that if I worked harder I could take the next series of physics, biology and chemistry and do well. I was wrong and realized this when my grades from the first round of exams came back. As a result I withdrew from chemistry so I could focus and do well in biology and physics. I realize I must take a hard look at my study habits in order to continue to do well. But taking three science classes at a time is not feasible. After this year i will have to finish chemistry, ochem, and some upper division classes (upper divs to show medical schools I can handle the science classes.)

As of now I have one more quarter at the UC before my money runs out. When this happens, I'll have to take a part time job to continue to finance my pre-requisites at community college.

Nontrads of SDN, how would you handle my situation? Should I take one class at a time while working? I have to take ochem after I finish gen chem, does this mean I can only take each class successively? (one at a time) I know medical schools want to see nontrads finish their pre-requisites in a 'rigorous' manner. Will taking one class at a time hurt my chances? I am also considering DO schools. Thank you for your advice.