young nontrad, no committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowkat444

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad school gives alumni committee letters, but only if you go in person to an interview with them. Unfortunately, I live and work 4,000 miles away now, and I didn't know when I was an undergrad that I would apply to medical school. I have 2 recommendations from my undergrad.

But, I'm not that far out of college... I graduated in 2005. Plus, I'm applying Md/PhD (= competitive).

Thoughts? What can I do? I'm doing some postbacc classes but I can't get a committee letter there. How much will this hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad school gives alumni committee letters, but only if you go in person to an interview with them. Unfortunately, I live and work 4,000 miles away now, and I didn't know when I was an undergrad that I would apply to medical school. I have 2 recommendations from my undergrad.

But, I'm not that far out of college... I graduated in 2005. Plus, I'm applying Md/PhD (= competitive).

Thoughts? What can I do? I'm doing some postbacc classes but I can't get a committee letter there. How much will this hurt me?

I'm not in medical school, but I don't think that this will kill you. I am also a young non-trad - 21yo. You need some quality letters from faculty though. If you are applying MD/PhD then I assume you did some research. Get a letter from your PI.

All of these should work in your favor. My school does not have a pre-med committee, but there are plenty of people who have gone down the road you wish. Also, it'd be wise of you to contact the schools directly and get in touch with an advisor.

My school has a premed advisor committee, but they do not issue letters. I just got one of the members to confirm it in writing and asked her if I could put her down as a reference when I say on the application that they don't do it (since lots of schools want a written explanation as to why you couldn't get a committee letter).