Young hospitalists taken advantage of?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiffycats

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seriously just got an offer for 79/hour for a hospitalist position. Are there seriously physicians out there who would have to little respect for themselves to accept such offers? This is sad...abuse and disrespect of all our training and hard work...RNs with 5 years experience and an associates degree are making 60 an hour...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ha!

I did FM. The ER at the hospital pays 120$ to residents to moonlight and function as a NP/PA.

I live in South-Central KY--the worst I've seen is 110 out of Nashville.

It all varies though. If the hospital is running the show themselves, they're more likely to give you a $hit offer.

I contacted a hospital, told them I wanted to work for them. Even agreed to do nights straight out of residency. They gave me something way below market average for other hospitals in the area. They also wrote in there that I would get one price for the first 12 shifts and then LESS for shifts beyond that. Talking to the hospitalist director--he assured me everyone works 15. And then they gave me some politician out of both sides of their mouth answer. ALSO they gave me an insane number on the RVU Bonus--knowing I couldn't hit the threshhold--they said I'd admit 3-4 a night. And then reinforced how much $$ I'd get off RVU's.

I looked at 5 hospitals right out of residency. The hospitalist groups were managed by a 3rd party for 3/5. And when I let one know I wanted to sign, I didn't have to ask for anything.

Everything I wanted was standard.

TL;DR--Hospitals will try to screw you. These 3rd party staffing companies are pretty fair.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol you earn all the money and they want to dole out a fifth of it to the guy doing all the work. What a joke. Everyone wants to put their hand in our pockets.

Even as lowly residents we get double that. There was a time when the hospital was short staffed and they were offering 200 an hour to residents although you were definitely worked for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously just got an offer for 79/hour for a hospitalist position. Are there seriously physicians out there who would have to little respect for themselves to accept such offers? This is sad...abuse and disrespect of all our training and hard work...RNs with 5 years experience and an associates degree are making 60 an hour...
That might be legit. For an academic job. In Manhattan. With residents to do all your work and an average census in the single digits.

I personally wouldn't take a hospitalist gig for <$135/hr, even in a big city.

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely new grads are getting taken advantage of that's what's happening in all the big metro areas with ppl settling for 210k out the gate while their revenue generated is at least 2-2.5x that.....and if you don't like it? Well There's always another bright eyed pgy3 who thinks it's all grand especially after never knowing what it's like to make more than 50k/yr

I've said this before but I worked in a market basically owned by a single major health system with a small competitor and nobody else. Salaries were fixed for hundreds of miles at 90/hr +productivity for hospitalists. Contract was rigid and would not be negotiated. This market I believe is the future of medicine as health systems condense and there is less negotiating power with physicians as they increasingly find fewer unique employers

How are rural hospitalists doing?
2 of the residents who graduated this year went with a rural hospitalist group staffing critical access hospitals. Minimum of 1 week a month (7 straight 24 hour shifts, but 25 bed hospitals max). From what I remembers, it worked out to $125k or so based on the daily rate. Additionally, they got to keep what ever they collected from billing.

How are rural hospitalists doing?

I did residency at a community based program in KY--Residents that came out got ~260K for staying there and at a hospital an hour away.

The 24 hour part sucks, but the fact that you keep whatever you bill is unheard of within 1 hour of any metro. I can see someone pulling $400k+ with that kind of set up, assuming that the hospital has decent volume.

The 24 hour part sucks, but the fact that you keep whatever you bill is unheard of within 1 hour of any metro. I can see someone pulling $400k+ with that kind of set up, assuming that the hospital has decent volume.
Well, 25 bed hospitals and smaller. The other question is what's the payor ratio? I'm not sure what percent of their population is uninsured.

2 of the residents who graduated this year went with a rural hospitalist group staffing critical access hospitals. Minimum of 1 week a month (7 straight 24 hour shifts, but 25 bed hospitals max). From what I remembers, it worked out to $125k or so based on the daily rate. Additionally, they got to keep what ever they collected from billing.
Impressive - sounds like a nice gig, probably have to live very close to the hospital. 25 bed hospital probably turfs a lot, but volume can’t be that bad. Payor mix, if even 1/3 decent sweetens the pot.

I've said this before but I worked in a market basically owned by a single major health system with a small competitor and nobody else. Salaries were fixed for hundreds of miles at 90/hr +productivity for hospitalists. Contract was rigid and would not be negotiated. This market I believe is the future of medicine as health systems condense and there is less negotiating power with physicians as they increasingly find fewer unique employers

Absolutely. There is consolidation happening at a massive scale, and things will only accelerate going forwards. Healthcare has been long overdue for corporitization in the eyes of the MBAs and finance class parasites. Look at any other industry: automotive, banking, etc. All dominated by huge corporations with impossible barriers to entry. Once healthcare is dominated by 4 or 5 gigantic organizations, they will set industry wide wages and that will be the end of that. It won't matter if an ortho surgeon generates 2m in revenue: if he can only do so by working for 4 or 5 companies, and those 4 or 5 companies agree that 160k is the "industry standard" for "entry level surgicalist" then that is what he will work for, since 160k will still beat out the 40k a year he could make with his MD outside of medicine.

Absolutely. There is consolidation happening at a massive scale, and things will only accelerate going forwards. Healthcare has been long overdue for corporitization in the eyes of the MBAs and finance class parasites. Look at any other industry: automotive, banking, etc. All dominated by huge corporations with impossible barriers to entry. Once healthcare is dominated by 4 or 5 gigantic organizations, they will set industry wide wages and that will be the end of that. It won't matter if an ortho surgeon generates 2m in revenue: if he can only do so by working for 4 or 5 companies, and those 4 or 5 companies agree that 160k is the "industry standard" for "entry level surgicalist" then that is what he will work for, since 160k will still beat out the 40k a year he could make with his MD outside of medicine.
This is exactly why we need to LIMIT our numbers. Mark my words. The moment we start to pump out more doctors, the MBAs will eat us alive. We will have lost our only bargaining chip.

This is exactly why we need to LIMIT our numbers. Mark my words. The moment we start to pump out more doctors, the MBAs will eat us alive. We will have lost our only bargaining chip.

This isn't true--we have no other skills and a debt fire under our ass to make us work. Only a blessed few walk out of residency financially independent enough to refuse to work even if the wage is ****. Oligopoly mutes the effects of supply/demand.

This isn't true--we have no other skills and a debt fire under our ass to make us work. Only a blessed few walk out of residency financially independent enough to refuse to work even if the wage is ****. Oligopoly mutes the effects of supply/demand.
What does refusing to work have anything to do with it? As long as the supply of physicians is less than the demand, these oligarchs will still have to compete with each other for our services. This obviously isn't a complete fix in our favor, but would you rather have an oversupply of physicians, then? Would you prefer it so that the MBAs can make you work for minimum wage, because there are 3 doctors applying for each available position?