Young grasshopper in need of some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oniginta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all, this is my first post so I would like say salutations to all the pre-meds and meds out there! I hope that in the months to come, I will be able to learn a lot from you guys!

I'm actually posting this because I really need some advice. As of right now, I'm a sophomore in University at Buffalo and being the overambitious person, I've been trying to graduate in three years instead of the normal four and then to go to medical school. In terms of graduating, I'm set. However, I've been having a lot of trouble with the time line for applying to medical school.

UB holds their prehealth committee in April and in September. Due to various reasons like not being able to take the MCATs until June/July and summer courses, I naturally would not be able to attend the April committee, which means that I will have to settle for the September one. That in turn means that I will be applying late. I don't know whether or not I should go with the late application -.-

Here are my current stats:
3.916 GPA
no MCAT scores yet but on the practice ones, I've been getting 33-35.
2 semesters of research
2 summers and one semester of shadowing various doctors
50+ hours on local volunteering
Various clubs like breakdancing and martial arts

Thank you guys so much for reading this post! I know that I might come off as *****ic or crazy but please advise me so I can avoid any pitfalls! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Get more volunteering.

Applying late will not do you good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you required to have an MCAT score before you can get a letter from the committee? Don't you just need to submit a list of required letters?

If you truly can't get the committee to write you a letter until September, well, yes applying that late will put your application at a disadvantage. Of course, your numbers look to be good enough that you'll have a decent chance of an acceptance anyway if you apply that late, though the school that takes you is likely to be less-selective than the niche you might have aspired to had you applied early in the season.

If these factors don't matter to you, then go ahead with the September meeting. If they do, then get the September letter and use the packet to apply the following June.

So, by June of this year, you'll have 3 semesters of research? You'll have way more shadowing than you need. And you'll have less than the average amount of clinical experience/community service. By "local volunteering" I hope you mean medical volunteering, because the average applicant has 1.5 years of this with a total of 150 hours.

What about leadership, teaching, and nonmedical volunteering? If you don't have solid ECs, it may be that you'd do yourself no favors by applying a year earlier than normal. Adcomms are happy to consider a mature, younger-than-typical applicant, but applying early doesn't excuse you from having experiences equal to those of someone spending an extra year to acquire them.

All that said, I graduated early to save some money but applied and got accepted at the traditional time. I used the extra time to work two jobs and make money for med school (and the break from academics was nice too). So i am sympathetic to your interest in a 3-year college experience.

Are you required to have an MCAT score before you can get a letter from the committee? Don't you just need to submit a list of required letters?

If you truly can't get the committee to write you a letter until September, well, yes applying that late will put your application at a disadvantage. Of course, your numbers look to be good enough that you'll have a decent chance of an acceptance anyway if you apply that late, though the school that takes you is likely to be less-selective than the niche you might have aspired to had you applied early in the season.

If these factors don't matter to you, then go ahead with the September meeting. If they do, then get the September letter and use the packet to apply the following June.

So, by June of this year, you'll have 3 semesters of research? You'll have way more shadowing than you need. And you'll have less than the average amount of clinical experience/community service. By "local volunteering" I hope you mean medical volunteering, because the average applicant has 1.5 years of this with a total of 150 hours.

What about leadership, teaching, and nonmedical volunteering? If you don't have solid ECs, it may be that you'd do yourself no favors by applying a year earlier than normal. Adcomms are happy to consider a mature, younger-than-typical applicant, but applying early doesn't excuse you from having experiences equal to those of someone spending an extra year to acquire them.

All that said, I graduated early to save some money but applied and got accepted at the traditional time. I used the extra time to work two jobs and make money for med school (and the break from academics was nice too). So i am sympathetic to your interest in a 3-year college experience.

:thumbup:

I would not apply that late in a cycle....I would talk to someone at your school and see how you can get the committee to accomodate you.

Or I would submit AMCAS in June and wait on the committee letter or just get two professors and another LOR.

I would not let them ruin my chances this year and make me wait another yr.

I would not apply that late in a cycle....I would talk to someone at your school and see how you can get the committee to accomodate you.

Or I would submit AMCAS in June and wait on the committee letter or just get two professors and another LOR.

I would not let them ruin my chances this year and make me wait another yr.
. . . . if you can get your ECs up to snuff in time to apply this June.

It's an interesting thought to try to apply on your own without the committee's support. Be a maverick!

Thanks for the speedy advice guys!

Sorry to leave this out but another reason why the committee won't meet with me is because I'm actually planning to take my long-delayed second English course over the summer.

And no, I'm not doing research right now because of my huge credit load so it's only two semesters of research.

For medical volunteering, I've done a semester at the local hospital and a summer working at a free health clinic.

As for the nonmedical volunteering, that's the 50+ hours working in soup kitchens and the like. Sadly, I haven't really done any teaching or leadership roles.

Wow, my stats written out seem to be pretty bad... :scared:

Thanks for the speedy advice guys!

Sorry to leave this out but another reason why the committee won't meet with me is because I'm actually planning to take my long-delayed second English course over the summer.

And no, I'm not doing research right now because of my huge credit load so it's only two semesters of research.

For medical volunteering, I've done a semester at the local hospital and a summer working at a free health clinic.

As for the nonmedical volunteering, that's the 50+ hours working in soup kitchens and the like. Sadly, I haven't really done any teaching or leadership roles.

I would honestly take the extra yr to build your app....you could use more EC help with volunteering, shadowing, tutoring, research, etc..

I think in your effort to graduate in 3yrs you had to neglect some of the ECs...which will actually hurt you in the long run since med schools rather see ECs than a 3yr undergrad degree.

With that said, if you get a 33+ MCAT, I think you will have an excellent shot at instate schools and some lower stat schools...

But, you need to submit AMCAS in June....I would get my LORs without the committee....if you take this option.

depends on how bad you want to get started....I know I waited quite a few years to become more mature so I could handle the stress alot better and I wanted to come into med school stronger than the average app instead of weaker like I would have before I got my PharmD since I did not have a background in the sciences before my pharmacy work besides the basic prereqs.

it's only two semesters of research.

You're actually in a much better place then most college student with only three semesters under their belt. The research is fine as it is. Get in more clinical experience than what you listed. It's great that you have nonmedical community service already. Keep up the good work.

I know I waited quite a few years to become more mature so I could handle the stress alot better
This comment is a pure gift from JDUB so that someone could come along and make a snarky comment like, how he's still a work in progress. (J/K JDUB!) But I will hopefully preempt any less kind comment by being first in.

Thank you for the support! :D

What should I do though?

Wait until next year and strengthen my ECs? Be a maverick and apply via AMCAS without the committee? Should my future MCAT score be a huge influence on my next move?

This comment is a pure gift from JDUB so that someone could come along and make a snarky comment like, how he's still a work in progress. (J/K JDUB!) But I will hopefully preempt any less kind comment by being first in.

true...I am still immature in many ways and like to play around; however, I think being 30 v. early 20s is a great advantage since I have no kids or wife....I am just like them with much more life experience....and I still can work long hrs so far!! :eek:

They can come and get me if they like.....but remember I bite back!! ;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What should I do though?

Wait until next year and strengthen my ECs? Be a maverick and apply via AMCAS without the committee? Should my future MCAT score be a huge influence on my next move?
What are your goals for the selectivty of the med school you attend? Is money no object (because applying is expensive, and applying twice is worse)? Are you willing to write a letter to every school and explain why you didn't use the committee (because they always want an explanation)?

Your answers to these questions have more impact on your decision than your MCAT score, because i trust that you will have a competitive score.

Truth to be told, I'm actually from a poor family.... that's why I'm trying to graduate early.

After all this, I guess the most sound decision will be to build up my stats and to wait until next year to apply for medical school. I do want to get into a good school and I guess right now, I'm still ahead of the game.

Thanks guys! Your advice really help clear my mind.

Truth to be told, I'm actually from a poor family.... that's why I'm trying to graduate early.

After all this, I guess the most sound decision will be to build up my stats and to wait until next year to apply for medical school. I do want to get into a good school and I guess right now, I'm still ahead of the game.

Thanks guys! Your advice really help clear my mind.

Also, you can save some money....

Graduate early. Interview with the committee in April (shortly before graduation). Get a job and build up your experience in teaching, leadership, clinical service or research. Work during the year while doing the interviews, etc. (what would have been your senior year).

Graduating a year early and trying to do interviews during that same year woudl be crazy. Applying without a committee letter is a red flag; avoid it.

Graduate early. Interview with the committee in April (shortly before graduation). Get a job and build up your experience in teaching, leadership, clinical service or research. Work during the year while doing the interviews, etc. (what would have been your senior year).

Graduating a year early and trying to do interviews during that same year woudl be crazy. Applying without a committee letter is a red flag; avoid it.

I was hinting at adding the commitee letter later on....since OP could not get it in Apr...

Oniginta, since you're new, you probably aren't aware that LizzyM is on the admissions committee of a prestigious med school in the east. Her words are golden. Heed them.

Thank you so much guys! I know what I have to do now :laugh:

I was hinting at adding the commitee letter later on....since OP could not get it in Apr...

I'm saying get the commitee letter in April 2011, apply in June 2011, start medical school in Summer/Fall 2012. OP is currently a sophomore. This is the standard schedule for a curent sophomore. OP can work and build experience during the 2011-12 year rather than paying tuition during that time.

I'm saying get the commitee letter in April 2011, apply in June 2011, start medical school in Summer/Fall 2012. OP is currently a sophomore. This is the standard schedule for a curent sophomore. OP can work and build experience during the 2011-12 year rather than paying tuition during that time.

me see, we agree!! :D