Young doctor wants to move to Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KipiLV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys

Im graduate from the Medical University and I have some questions about moving to Germany and I really hope you could spare few minutes to give me a good advice!

Last summer I graduated from the medical University in Lettland (Latvia), Riga.

I didnt apply for internship because I wanted to move to Germany, Austria or Switzerland.

There are several reasons why I wanted to move abroad

1) Salary is better than in Lettland

2) Moreover, better internship progam, but on the other hand German is difficult language to learn.

So right after graduation I continued learning Deutsch but more intensive with private teacher and in February I applied for TestDaF exam. I passed all parts of the exam except Hoervestehen for B2.

Unfortunately I didn't know what exam was required for me and a result I passed the wrong one. However, I know now than I need Goethe or Telc exam. At the moment I am doing my best to be prepared for these exams.

I managed to secure an assistance positions in Germany in May in one small Hospital, but unfortunately they cancelled everything due some technical issue . . . It was really upseting, because I planned my flights and paid for accommodation!

As a result of all above right now I cant find any possitions in Latvia in medicine sphere for about 1 month, because Im not in internship. I wasnt expecting to stay so long in Latvia after graduation, and wanted to move to Germany straight away.

At the moment I want to move to Germany and find a job that would allow me to continue intensively learning German language while working, probably part-time. I think that I am going to learn German faster in German environment. My plan is to pass Goethe or Telc exam in the next 10 weeks (still not sure which exam is better). and I want to find job as medicalworker (Pfleger) in Hospital for old people (Pflegeheim) in Germany.

In my opinion that would be good, to have a job as a medicalworker in Germany, because I would think and talk only in German, would be more used to routine in Hospital.

I also found some information about Internship program in Austria - Turnusausbildung in Österreich - it lasts 36 months, and Observershipprogram in Graz, Austria.

So my plan is
1) find job as Pfleger in Germany/ Austria
2) pass exam B2
3) earn some money for Turnus-program in Austria
4) pass B2-C1 medical Telc exam
5) apply for Turnus program
6) search for job in Austria or Switzerland

I would appreciate if any of you guys could share any helpful information about moving to Germany and where to start. As you can see I have higher Medical education, but I am not aware of all legal terms required to move to Germany.

Any advice about which exam is better to pass would be also great!

If any of you guys or your friends had similar situation in the past, I would appreciate some help!

Thanks a lot for your time and sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

I would appreciate any help or advice! thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, sad to hear about these unpleasant experiences. It's very nice that despite these you still keep your strength together!

I come from your neighbouring country, Estonia, so I do understand your background and incentives. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the situation in Germany, but I've lived in the Netherlands from past 2 years and I know some foreigners who have come here for their residency. So maybe the NL wouldn't be such a bad option (if you're already proficient in German, then mastering Dutch can't be much harder - but of course it's me speaking and I don't speak German, just Dutch). It does demand getting your licence approved and do some exams, and of course the NT2 (Nederlands als Tweede Taal) exam etc.
The Netherlands has a very competitive system, but the training is claimed to be very good and the country is also very English-speaking and would say that also more foreigner-friendly that many other European countries. I'm currently working at a healthcare organisation (not as a professional, I'm striving towards it :)) and I see that many healthcare jobs need fulfilling...
Just for information.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...erlands-as-eu-citizen-and-us-resident.681745/
Feel free to contact me too :)

First of all, sad to hear about these unpleasant experiences. It's very nice that despite these you still keep your strength together!

I come from your neighbouring country, Estonia, so I do understand your background and incentives. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the situation in Germany, but I've lived in the Netherlands from past 2 years and I know some foreigners who have come here for their residency. So maybe the NL wouldn't be such a bad option (if you're already proficient in German, then mastering Dutch can't be much harder - but of course it's me speaking and I don't speak German, just Dutch). It does demand getting your licence approved and do some exams, and of course the NT2 (Nederlands als Tweede Taal) exam etc.
The Netherlands has a very competitive system, but the training is claimed to be very good and the country is also very English-speaking and would say that also more foreigner-friendly that many other European countries. I'm currently working at a healthcare organisation (not as a professional, I'm striving towards it :)) and I see that many healthcare jobs need fulfilling...
Just for information.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...erlands-as-eu-citizen-and-us-resident.681745/
Hi,,i am medical graduate from Romania,,want to join residency in nederlands so do they require just language skills or do i have to give any medial entrance exam as well?Thanks alot.

Just for information.
Hi,,i am medical graduate from Romania,,want to join residency in nederlands so do they require just language skills or do i have to give any medial entrance exam as well?Thanks a lot.