you want to HELP people but not THAT much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whoispittsnogle

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
maybe it's cuz i'm self-conscious as an ex-premed, but i can't help but to think it's just a tiny bit selfish on my part to say that some of the reasons why i'm pursuing dentistry are because of good hours and low stress. i feel like i'm pretty much saying yeah, i want to help people but not THAT much. i want to help those who are in need but i don't want to sacrifice myself THAT much. if you're truly just infatuated with teeth and love working with your hands, that's cool, this post doesn't concern you carry on to the next thread. for those of you who can admit that lifestyle is one of the reasons for choosing dentistry, how do you guys feel about my dilemma?

i'm not trying to turn this into med vs. dental, which it probably will because of the immature members. i'm genuinely curious how you guys will deal with it if an adcom questions you, don't you think it's selfish of you to choose dentistry over medicine for flexible hours and low stress.

ps. i submitted my aadsas and now i am officially one of you. please love me:love:

Members don't see this ad.

maybe it's cuz i'm self-conscious as an ex-premed, but i can't help but to think it's just a tiny bit selfish on my part to say that some of the reasons why i'm pursuing dentistry are because of good hours and low stress. i feel like i'm pretty much saying yeah, i want to help people but not THAT much. i want to help those who are in need but i don't want to sacrifice myself THAT much. if you're truly just infatuated with teeth and love working with your hands, that's cool, this post doesn't concern you carry on to the next thread. for those of you who can admit that lifestyle is one of the reasons for choosing dentistry, how do you guys feel about my dilemma?

i'm not trying to turn this into med vs. dental, which it probably will because of the immature members. i'm genuinely curious how you guys will deal with it if an adcom questions you, don't you think it's selfish of you to choose dentistry over medicine for flexible hours and low stress.

ps. i submitted my aadsas and now i am officially one of you. please love me:love:

I will say i choose dentistry because 80% of lifestyle and the rest is working with hand. Ok i lied i choose it because of 90% lifestyle.
Here is how to untangle your dilemma. Ask yourself this question: Who are more important to you? Stranger or your own family (and yourself). For me, my family are the most valuable thing to me. At the end of the day, a job is still a job. I rather choose a job that can still help people in some way but can still go home and enjoying my hot chocolate milk next to the fireplace. I used to be premed but after i shadow several doctors it is obvious to me that their family always comes in the second place. I obviously don't want my husband to care for strangers over his own family.
Good luck on this cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i definately understand what you're saying.
i think the biggest reason why people pursue dentistry is because of the lifestyle reason (there is another thread in medical forum saying that the most competitive specilizing field of medicine is dermatology and that is because they can have a lifestyle like dentists, and the smartest people in medical schools will try so hard to get into that field so they can have life style like dentists would have) and i really do not think that is a bad reason at all.

we do love the field but honestly for me the biggest reason for doing it would be: 1) i don't have to deal with people dying in my hands, 2) i have my time after work to spend with my family and do the things i alwasy dreamed of doing when i was little, and 3) financial aspect

if i really wanted to go just for $$$, i have lot of bros who are working in new york as I Banker who are making 6 digits+ right after undergraduate, but they have to work from 8 AM til 1 AM with their phone being on all the time. yes, one of them already purchased a half-million dollar apt at the age of 22 but i was using it all day when i was visiting NYU and he didnt even come home til 1 AM from work.

so yeah, lifestyle is #1 reason for most of us

perhaps i wasn't clear, I AM OK with the decision i've made. but HOW are you going to defend yourself when an ADCOM accuses you of chose dentistry over medicine because of the lifestyle. if it were anyone else, i'd say hell yeah i did:cool: but i can't say that to an ADCOM :confused:

oh well im going to say it either way but in better way

in my case, i didnt live with my parents for 4 years of high school, so for my upcoming interview im going to mention how important i feel family is (from my personal experience of not having them at my graduation and etc.) and i don't want that to happen to my children

so you can find a reason why you want to spend your time with your family or whatever you want to do that can relate to you

i am pretty sure 90% or more people will mention the lifestyle as their reasons but you just don't want to sound like you wanna go home after your work at 5 PM and enjoy your life with your money that you made today. be honest but tell them that you want to spend those free time for somethign that you want to do in your life

People that care THAT much about others go into social work, not dentistry.

maybe it's cuz i'm self-conscious as an ex-premed, but i can't help but to think it's just a tiny bit selfish on my part to say that some of the reasons why i'm pursuing dentistry are because of good hours and low stress.

its pretty high stress if you own your own practice from what i've seen.

It's not selfish to want the best possible life for yourself and your family. There's a lot of wealth envy these days - people trying to dictate to you what is and is not excessive, what are the right and wrong reasons for doing things. Don't let them tell you otherwise. There's nothing wrong with that.

Obviously you have to have an interest in working with your hands, helping people, etc. But face it - very very few people would put in the amount of work required to go to dental school, to get through dental school, to work in the field/start their own practices if there wasn't a good lifestyle/a good chunk of money for them. The same goes for medicine.

If you did choose dentistry over medicine because of the lifestyle and hours and an adcom asks you about it, you can still be honest - just word your answer carefully. For example, you could say that in dentistry you would have more control over your practice, so you could work as much or as little as you wanted, and that having the option to work less hours would give you more time to spend with your family/raising your kids etc etc. You could mention how medicine has to deal with much more insurance and malpractice BS and how less of that in dentistry gives you more time to focus on your patients rather than wasting hours on random paperwork. A higher income would give you stability and allow you to provide for your family.

Get yourself together. There are many ways you could help besides being a doctor or a dentist. If flexible hours are one of the reasons why someone would want to be dentist, then money could be a reason for someone to be a doctor. You could be a social worker and still can't keep going for 24/7. Oh and depression could hover over some people if they could just do this and nothing else.
I don't know if adcoms could really call us selfish because they didn't have to do even half of the community service hours and other stuff that we do now to prove that we are dead serious about helping when we say it.

I was pre-med. my dad is a physician and i love working with my hands. so naturally I only considered medical and only orthopedics or plastics.

I got married, and realized that i did not want to do a 5 to 6 yr residency after med school. That is not how i wanted to start my family. so I at least let myself consider denistry. then i realized all you do i work with your hands (my passion), dont need a residency to do most things, and have a great life style while helping people.

So, the reason I was pre med to start is simply because I had not even considered denistry.

perhaps i wasn't clear, I AM OK with the decision i've made. but HOW are you going to defend yourself when an ADCOM accuses you of chose dentistry over medicine because of the lifestyle. if it were anyone else, i'd say hell yeah i did:cool: but i can't say that to an ADCOM :confused:

You have to realize that these adcoms are going to be dentists for the most part. At the very least, they are with the dental school in some form or another. Lifestyle is an extremely common reason as to why people choose dentistry - many adcoms will understand that. I would anticipate adcoms accusing you of picking DS as the second choice after med school before accusing you of picking the lifestyle (might be considered a little hypocritical).

A fresh bit of honesty isn't a bad idea. Is it really that bad to say that you want time for a family, want time to develop hobbies and enjoy life outside of work? At my interviews, whenever I mentioned the better lifestyle, my interviewers agreed with me. It's reality, and many people, when they choose their careers, forget to consider the importance of their future lifestyle on overall happiness and satisfaction. So maybe, it actually shows some maturity and foresight. :)

great discussion so far, i enjoyed reading everyone's points.

You have to realize that these adcoms are going to be dentists for the most part. At the very least, they are with the dental school in some form or another. Lifestyle is an extremely common reason as to why people choose dentistry - many adcoms will understand that. I would anticipate adcoms accusing you of picking DS as the second choice after med school before accusing you of picking the lifestyle (might be considered a little hypocritical).

A fresh bit of honesty isn't a bad idea. Is it really that bad to say that you want time for a family, want time to develop hobbies and enjoy life outside of work? At my interviews, whenever I mentioned the better lifestyle, my interviewers agreed with me. It's reality, and many people, when they choose their careers, forget to consider the importance of their future lifestyle on overall happiness and satisfaction. So maybe, it actually shows some maturity and foresight. :)

in the end, dentists and physicians/surgeons are all healthcare professionals. so a good premed candidate will inevitably make a good predent candidate - high grades/test scores, character, and spirit of service. so i don't know why this premed vs. predent things gets blown out of proportion like one has to start over from scratch if one decides to switch.

but it's true dentistry was my second option. i mean neurosurgery or cardiothoracic is just a little bit more interesting than oral surgery. i would choose medicine over dentistry in a HEARTBEAT if the former offered the same things like no long residency, good hours, low stress, no insurance/MCO rape. but that is simply not the case. going into dentistry gives me all those positives while fulfilling my wish to be a healthcare professional.

i like this is a great quote - "So, the reason I was pre med to start is simply because I had not even considered denistry."

Members don't see this ad :)
1. This isn't the first time you have been involved in discussions like this. You need to find yourself, IMO and I have suspicions you are a bit uncertain and maybe even a bit unsure of yourself. You also need to understand that oral health is important to overall well-being and they are finding many more systemic links all the time... but the bottom line is that the MD, DDS, DO etc are not the heroes. The true hero in the medical profession is the PhD. We as future clinicians will merely diagnose and forumlate a treatment plan to carry out. The true heroes are those that found the cure to begin with. This often times is not the MD or the DDS but the research scientist (often the most intelligent of all professions as well.)

2. A lot of people go into dentistry because of the schedule ... but low stress? Not if you talk to any dentist I know. It is a VERY high stress field... on par with any career where you have to work in such tiny areas with your hands and it is so easy to make a mistake that will cost your patient and you BIG TIME, but I guess the compensation, lifestyle and schedule make up for that.

3. I know this is an open forum but watch what you say in here because ADCOMs DO monitor SDN for CERTAIN!

4. You aren't going to make many friends in here if you keep it up insulting the people you are turning to for help by calling all of SDN immature. My suggestion to you? Do some growing up.

So I guess clear up all these things before you ever consider talking to a school's admissions committee

in the end, dentists and physicians/surgeons are all healthcare professionals. so a good premed candidate will inevitably make a good predent candidate - high grades/test scores, character, and spirit of service. so i don't know why this premed vs. predent things gets blown out of proportion like one has to start over from scratch if one decides to switch.

but it's true dentistry was my second option. i mean neurosurgery or cardiothoracic is just a little bit more interesting than oral surgery. i would choose medicine over dentistry in a HEARTBEAT if the former offered the same things like no long residency, good hours, low stress, no insurance/MCO rape. but that is simply not the case. going into dentistry gives me all those positives while fulfilling my wish to be a healthcare professional.

i like this is a great quote - "So, the reason I was pre med to start is simply because I had not even considered denistry."

You really are not trying to fit into this forum are you? It still sounds like you want to be a physician, even though you've stated you want to be a dentist. What I got from your last post was: The only reason you're choosing dentistry is because you don't want to deal with the training hours physicians need to be competent.

Dentists have malpractice/insurance BS and stress too you know. That's not a good way to decide the rest of your life. If anything, adcoms will ask you why dentistry. You need to focus on why dentistry... not why did you switch from medicine to dental.

I'm sorry if this offends you in some way or you misunderstand what I mean, but I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum will tell you the same thing (more or less sarcastically).

4. You aren't going to make many friends in here if you keep it up insulting the people you are turning to for help by calling all of SDN immature. My suggestion to you? Do some growing up.

Whoa, what? If you go back and read the OP's original post, he wasn't accusing all members of SDN of being immature. What he was doing was putting forth his suspicion that some immature members might try turning this into premed vs. predent because some people just enjoy internet arguments. The OP wanted to make it clear that a discussion of premed vs. predent was not his intention.

can you say...self conscious?

1. why are these discussions bad? why are you crapping in my thread? why are you talking about the importance of oral health? why are you defending dentistry like i deemed it a useless field or something. i simply started this thread to discuss with my peers a topic of choosing dentistry for lifestyle reasons and if that's good or bad. and no phds aren't the most intelligent, unless you are speaking of md/phd. i did research for four years, how much experience do you have with research scientists?

2. but obviously, it's all relatively speaking, dentistry is less stressful than medicine, period. why are you coming at with me immature arguments like not ALL dentists are stress free?

3. what did i say that was "bad"?

4. when did i insult dentists?? you are seriously so self-conscious. do vcu med students talk trash to you and throw stuff at you or something? you have some THICK hate towards medicine.

can you say...self conscious?

1. why are these discussions bad? why are you crapping in my thread? why are you talking about the importance of oral health? why are you defending dentistry like i deemed it a useless field or something. i simply started this thread to discuss with my peers a topic of choosing dentistry for lifestyle reasons and if that's good or bad. and no phds aren't the most intelligent, unless you are speaking of md/phd. i did research for four years, how much experience do you have with research scientists?

2. but obviously, it's all relatively speaking, dentistry is less stressful than medicine, period. why are you coming at with me immature arguments like not ALL dentists are stress free?

3. what did i say that was "bad"?

4. when did i insult dentists?? you are seriously so self-conscious. do vcu med students talk trash to you and throw stuff at you or something? you have some THICK hate towards medicine.

Whoa someone's getting a little hostile. BTW PhDs are the most intelligent. They don't have to be MD/PhDs.

You might want to watch what you say to moderators too. She's usually in line with what she says BTW, albeit a little harsh/funny.

You really are not trying to fit into this forum are you? It still sounds like you want to be a physician, even though you've stated you want to be a dentist. What I got from your last post was: The only reason you're choosing dentistry is because you don't want to deal with the training hours physicians need to be competent.

Dentists have malpractice/insurance BS and stress too you know. That's not a good way to decide the rest of your life. If anything, adcoms will ask you why dentistry. You need to focus on why dentistry... not why did you switch from medicine to dental.

I'm sorry if this offends you in some way or you misunderstand what I mean, but I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum will tell you the same thing (more or less sarcastically).

i said "i would choose medicine over dentistry in a HEARTBEAT if the former offered the same things like no long residency, good hours, low stress, no insurance/MCO rape." of course those things are all relative, i don't think anyone will argue that dentists have LOWER stress and LOWER insurance rates and LESSER lawsuits and MORE freedom from mcos.

why is that bad? you guys want to be dentists not for the reasons i listed above but because your absolute profound LOVE for TEETH? give me a break.
i want to be a healthcare professional period because i want to be in a position to be able to help people and i'm good at patient-provider interaction. why are you making such big distinction between dentistry and medicine. they are BOTH healthcare professionals, they just happen to focus to on different parts of the body.

i said "i would choose medicine over dentistry in a HEARTBEAT if the former offered the same things like no long residency, good hours, low stress, no insurance/MCO rape." of course those things are all relative, i don't think anyone will argue that dentists have LOWER stress and LOWER insurance rates and LESSER lawsuits and MORE freedom from mcos.

why is that bad? you guys want to be dentists not for the reasons i listed above but because your absolute profound LOVE for TEETH? give me a break.
i want to be a healthcare professional period because i want to be in a position to be able to help people and i'm good at patient-provider interaction. why are you making such big distinction between dentistry and medicine. they are BOTH healthcare professionals, they just happen to focus to on different parts of the body.

I can read. Your reason for dentistry is because you don't want to deal with residency! That's what I'm getting at here. I completely agree with you about physicians and dentists focusing on different parts and all that.

What I'm trying to say is that if you chose dentistry over medicine (which you clearly have not given the constant reminders that you were a pre-med), then why are you saying you'd much rather be a physician if there was no residency? You can be a family physician with the same hours as a dentist right? Schedule does not apply there.

and no phds aren't the most intelligent, unless you are speaking of md/phd. i did research for four years, how much experience do you have with research scientists?

wait, so assuming the moderator never had experience with research scientists, you would argue that he/she has no say in their intelligence, but you indeed do based on your limited experience with a few research scientists.

your argument isn't too great. good thing your going to dental school and not law school.

Whoa, what? If you go back and read the OP's original post, he wasn't accusing all members of SDN of being immature. What he was doing was putting forth his suspicion that some immature members might try turning this into premed vs. predent because some people just enjoy internet arguments. The OP wanted to make it clear that a discussion of premed vs. predent was not his intention.
THANK YOU my good sir

AlcoHulk,

i've had a run in with sugarnacl before as she posted a completely out of line reply in a thread where an op asked about criminal record and his dental admissions. when i read it, i could not believe how bad it was, especially coming from an assistant moderator. i quoted her reply and said she had no right to be an assistant moderator and i'm guessing that's why she has a vendetta against me. here's a link to the thread - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=544276
the REAL moderator locked the thread and conveniently ERASED sugarnacl's despicable reply, but i will never forget, i will never have any respect for her. you can read about sugarnacl's followup to her tantrum:

BeBe... sorry about my previous posts. It is none of my business if you are telling the truth or lying, but I shouldn't have let my emotions get the best of me. We have all made mistakes... Lord knows I have made my share, so if I offended you with my remarks, I apologize. Your thread aggravated me because of the whole getting your convictions expunged so you didn't have to "be honest" I probably read too far into that and I think ethics is huge in dentistry and any health profession.

wait, so assuming the moderator never had experience with research scientists, you would argue that he/she has no say in their intelligence, but you indeed do based on your limited experience with a few research scientists.

your argument isn't too great. good thing your going to dental school and not law school.

<----Research 5 years +... 2 in MS program, 3 years working along side PhDs and MD/PhDs in research at a cancer hospital. End of story.

I can read. Your reason for dentistry is because you don't want to deal with residency! That's what I'm getting at here. I completely agree with you about physicians and dentists focusing on different parts and all that.

What I'm trying to say is that if you chose dentistry over medicine (which you clearly have not given the constant reminders that you were a pre-med), then why are you saying you'd much rather be a physician if there was no residency? You can be a family physician with the same hours as a dentist right? Schedule does not apply there.
ok i am quoting mysle for the second time - "i would choose medicine over dentistry in a HEARTBEAT if the former offered the same things like 1) no long residency, 2) good hours, 3)low stress, 4) no insurance/MCO rape."
that's four reasons.
i like working with my hands so if all things being equal, i would choose the medicine route and be a surgeon. if all things being equal as in being a surgeon offered 1) no long residency, 2) good hours, 3)low stress, 4) no insurance/MCO rape. this is not the case, so i'm choosing dentistry. is that bad?

THANK YOU my good sir

AlcoHulk,

i've had a run in with sugarnacl before as she posted a completely out of line reply in a thread where an op asked about criminal record and his dental admissions. when i read it, i could not believe how bad it was, especially coming from an assistant moderator. i quoted her reply and said she had no right to be an assistant moderator and i'm guessing that's why she has a vendetta against me. here's a link to the thread - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=544276
the REAL moderator locked the thread and conveniently ERASED sugarnacl's despicable reply, but i will never forget, i will never have any respect for her. you can read about sugarnacl's followup to her tantrum:

Yeah I read that too. It may have been offensive, but she seems to let her emotions flow through the keyboard sometimes.

In response to your original topic, be honest. If you chose dentistry over medicine for those reasons just say it. Nobody is going to bite your head off for being honest right? Nobody is going to tell you to F-off and go apply to med school if you sincerely want to be a dentist.

BTW you have to watch your topics man. Some of them are just ridiculous and offensive.

1. This isn't the first time you have been involved in discussions like this. You need to find yourself, IMO and I have suspicions you are a bit uncertain and maybe even a bit unsure of yourself. You also need to understand that oral health is important to overall well-being and they are finding many more systemic links all the time... but the bottom line is that the MD, DDS, DO etc are not the heroes. The true hero in the medical profession is the PhD. We as future clinicians will merely diagnose and forumlate a treatment plan to carry out. The true heroes are those that found the cure to begin with. This often times is not the MD or the DDS but the research scientist (often the most intelligent of all professions as well.)

2. A lot of people go into dentistry because of the schedule ... but low stress? Not if you talk to any dentist I know. It is a VERY high stress field... on par with any career where you have to work in such tiny areas with your hands and it is so easy to make a mistake that will cost your patient and you BIG TIME, but I guess the compensation, lifestyle and schedule make up for that.

3. I know this is an open forum but watch what you say in here because ADCOMs DO monitor SDN for CERTAIN!

So I guess clear up all these things before you ever consider talking to a school's admissions committee

I called that out in his post a few months back.

ok i am quoting mysle for the second time - "i would choose medicine over dentistry in a HEARTBEAT if the former offered the same things like 1) no long residency, 2) good hours, 3)low stress, 4) no insurance/MCO rape."
that's four reasons.
i like working with my hands so if all things being equal, i would choose the medicine route and be a surgeon. if all things being equal as in being a surgeon offered 1) no long residency, 2) good hours, 3)low stress, 4) no insurance/MCO rape. this is not the case, so i'm choosing dentistry. is that bad?

Okay, I shot down 3 of 4 arguments. Here goes:

1)no long residency - okay good one, I agree
2)good hours - Family physician (GP)
3)low stress - uhhh... dentists have high stress.
4)no insurance - yes insurance.

The only thing you got is no residency, unless you specialize. If you want to be a surgeon, then I think its worth it to get through med school and do your residency. You'll be much happier with your career.

No its not bad that you chose dentistry instead. Its actually a great "alternative" if you really don't want to do a residency.

If you want to be a surgeon, then I think its worth it to get through med school and do your residency. You'll be much happier with your career.
not the surgeons i've talked to. they love their job but they are miserable from all the negatives i've mentioned before. so like you said i'm choosing dentistry as a great alternative, it's a great fit for me. i gotta stop even starting threads. how did this one turn from lifestyle to this fiasco. sigh.

Okay back to your original post then. It is not selfish if you didn't go into dentistry for those reasons only. I see it as one of the perks if you're comparing dentistry to internal med or surgery or whatever else isn't good hours. Maybe you like fixing things with your hands, you find it rewarding to be a trusted member of society, you like connecting with people, you like being trusted to do a procedure (not relevant to surgery). Again, nobody will ever say dentistry is low stress, so don't even worry about that. If you're worried about your particular situation (switch from premed to predent) then you should probably just be honest. Tell it like it is. You switched because medicine was not a good fit for your aspirations (family, other community stuff like coaching, sports, etc). You've talked to some surgeons and heard the negative things about being a physician, so talk about that. Like I said before, physicians can have the same hours as dentists so nobody will exactly ask you "Why Dentistry? For the good hours?"

I think that's the end of this thread.

Can't you answer that yourself? Or do you need to survey the forums to understand and formulate your answer?

Whoa someone's getting a little hostile. BTW PhDs are the most intelligent. They don't have to be MD/PhDs.

You might want to watch what you say to moderators too. She's usually in line with what she says BTW, albeit a little harsh/funny.

Thanks AlcoHulk. I'm truly not trying to be offensive, but sometimes there is no other way to get a point across. I'm glad you understand that ;)

People will tell you I'm the same way in person...just generally I say it with a smile on my face ... but I get along with pretty much everyone and I wouldn't talk about something I have no knowledge about. Online is trickier because the personal aspect is removed.

Oh and to the OP... to be completely honest with you I forgot you were involved in that other post you quoted. I have nothing against anyone in the forum. If I did, I wouldn't bother responding at all. Harsh or not, I'm only here to help... even if that means helping someone realize that dentistry may not be the BEST (though still a viable) option for them.

No hate for medicine here. At the cancer hospital I worked in the Dept. of Medicine and I loved it. If I hated medicine, I wouldn't go into the branch of medicine we call dentistry... would I?

Last edited:
becoming a doctor or dentist is not the same as, say, becoming a priest or clergyman. For the latter, your motives must be pure, or else you're going to make a horrible priest and do a disservice to those who look to you as a representative for the Man Upstairs.

MDs and DDSs do not need to have the purest, most altruistic motives for entering their field. While it may be something for applicants to shoot for in order to impress adcoms, the reality is that people choose dentistry for any number of reasons, and there isn't one "holy grail" reason that HAS to be there or else you're being selfish and not truly a caring health practitioner. Balderdash, i say!

You like people, like to work with your hands, don't mind smelly mouths and cowardly customers, and the hours suit you? what's to stop you from becoming a dentist if you've done all the preparation and know what you're getting into?

becoming a doctor or dentist is not the same as, say, becoming a priest or clergyman. For the latter, your motives must be pure, or else you're going to make a horrible priest and do a disservice to those who look to you as a representative for the Man Upstairs.

MDs and DDSs do not need to have the purest, most altruistic motives for entering their field. While it may be something for applicants to shoot for in order to impress adcoms, the reality is that people choose dentistry for any number of reasons, and there isn't one "holy grail" reason that HAS to be there or else you're being selfish and not truly a caring health practitioner. Balderdash, i say!

You like people, like to work with your hands, don't mind smelly mouths and cowardly customers, and the hours suit you? what's to stop you from becoming a dentist if you've done all the preparation and know what you're getting into?
thank you for your reply, i completely agree. :thumbup:

Your general attitude gets me really down. This may sound controversial, but saying you're pre-dental comes with the stigma that you're not good enough for medical school because of attitudes like yours. I mean, the average gpa is a 3.5 now for dental; most people who have the profile to get into dental school can get into medical school.

I'd like the world to realize they are two different professions, and that dental school is not full of med school rejects. Dentistry is selfish? Come on, get real.

Your general attitude gets me really down. This may sound controversial, but saying you're pre-dental comes with the stigma that you're not good enough for medical school because of attitudes like yours. I mean, the average gpa is a 3.5 now for dental; most people who have the profile to get into dental school can get into medical school.

I'd like the world to realize they are two different professions, and that dental school is not full of med school rejects. Dentistry is selfish? Come on, get real.

I agree 100%.

We're doing something we'll love.

why do you care about what people say about dentistry? i feel like just the fact that dental students and dentists that feel the need to defend dentistry shows some kind of self-inferiority complex. a lot of my friends are premed are med students and they rag on me all the time since my switch. who cares? they are only saying things disrespecting dentistry because they themselves are insecure and mad about being in residency for 7 years, getting sued left and right, and having terrible hours. you don't see MDs talking trash about nurses or medical assistants like oh i'm an MD i'm better than you. but they do feel the need to talk trash about DSSs and dentistry, why? cuz they feel the need to defend their insecure selves.

why do you care about what people say about dentistry? i feel like just the fact that dental students and dentists that feel the need to defend dentistry shows some kind of self-inferiority complex. a lot of my friends are premed are med students and they rag on me all the time since my switch. who cares? they are only saying things disrespecting dentistry because they themselves are insecure and mad about being in residency for 7 years, getting sued left and right, and having terrible hours. you don't see MDs talking trash about nurses or medical assistants like oh i'm an MD i'm better than you. but they do feel the need to talk trash about DSSs and dentistry, why? cuz they feel the need to defend their insecure selves.
The fact that you're getting ragged on for choosing a certain career choice is an issue. As someone who will be going through 4(maybe more?) of brutal training while paying for it, and as someone who will contain a wealth of knowledge about dental health, you deserve more respect for all that hard work. I can take a joke about my race, about my future profession, etc. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

The fact that you're getting ragged on for choosing a certain career choice is an issue. As someone who will be going through 4(maybe more?) of brutal training while paying for it, and as someone who will contain a wealth of knowledge about dental health, you deserve more respect for all that hard work. I can take a joke about my race, about my future profession, etc. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

i guess it's a personal difference...it's a non issue for me. i don't take myself that seriously.

Yeah, because accountants, engineers, lawyers, professors, pharmacists and other professionals chose their professions based completely on the impact they would have on other peoples' lives. :rolleyes: They surely chose their careers for their deep and abiding love of mundane tax preparation, quality control at semiconductor factories, hours of reading legal briefs, lecturing undergrads on the same basic topics every semester, and counting pills under fluorescent lights. None of those altruistic heroes thought about the pay scale for one second before they chose to do what they do over elementary education, social work, or marriage and family counseling.

As for how to respond when adcoms ask, "if you like to help people, then why not medicine," anyone who gives "I like to help people" as the main reason they went into dentistry deserves to squirm with the follow up question.

i guess it's a personal difference...it's a non issue for me. i don't take myself that seriously.
I take it personally when I see movies, people, etc. joke about dentistry being for medical school rejects. My father is a dentist, a good man who's worked hard to get where he is right now. For someone to degrade his profession, which has opened so many doors of opportunity for me and my family... it's just hurtful.

As for how to respond when adcoms ask, "if you like to help people, then why not medicine," anyone who gives "I like to help people" as the main reason they went into dentistry deserves to squirm with the follow up question.

I gave the reason "I like to help people" and am not seeing why I would squirm if asked that question. I really do like to help and interact with people and that certainly is a huge factor in my choosing dentistry.

I think adcom's pretty much understand that almost all students are going into dentistry to at least some degree for the lifestyle. I think that is universal. What they want to see is why else? Almost any profession you choose, if good enough at it, can make you alot of money with a great lifestyle. So why dentistry? Putting the lifestyle aside, why are you choosing dentistry?

I'm still waiting for him to post his stats on pre-dents :D

this is quite entertaining i must say...and exactly why i try not to post anything... you never know what the responses are going to be like...

that's four reasons.

Then can you please go do that-there are many of us that want to do dentistry not for the lifestyle but that we really enjoy it and can't see ourselves in any other profession. I have a passion for dentistry and wouldn't just choose it as an easy way out like you obviously are. If you would choose medicine in a heartbeat if there was no residency, then your passion is not focused on dentistry and that is really unfair to the rest of us predents in which it is, not to mention, the patients.

Furthermore, regarding your post insulting the moderator-you really need to grow up instead of whining like a baby at this age saying someone was mean to you. A lot of people have been having problems with your posts so I don't think what she said is out of line at all.

give me a friggin break. so since i don't think teeth are as interesting as the brain or the heart, i'm not gonna be a better dentist than you? i mean my credentials as an applicant are probably better than yours across the board but they don't carry much weight cuz you gotta have PASSION for TEETH to be a good dentist right? i have to just LOVE teeth deep in my heart or i won't be compassionate towards my patients?

best believe i'm going to be a more competent dentist than you. lol i'm taking YOUR spot? are you kidding me? it's not FAIR? i mean i worked harder than you, i'm smarter than you, but you think you deserve to be a dentist more than i do simply for the reason that you have a poster of teeth in your room and can't stop dreaming about teeth, and i find teeth not that interesting.

why don't you write a letter to admissions - my good sir, i believe we should be admitted to dental schools based solely on how much we love teeth. Not our gpa, dat, volunteer, research, and shadowing experience because those are useless indicators when trying to gauge who would make good dentists.

give me a friggin break. so since i don't think teeth are as interesting as the brain or the heart, i'm not gonna be a better dentist than you? i mean my credentials as an applicant are probably better than yours across the board but they don't carry much weight cuz you gotta have PASSION for TEETH to be a good dentist right? i have to just LOVE teeth deep in my heart or i won't be compassionate towards my patients?

best believe i'm going to be a more competent dentist than you. lol i'm taking YOUR spot? are you kidding me? it's not FAIR? i mean i worked harder than you, i'm smarter than you, but you think you deserve to be a dentist more than i do simply for the reason that you have a poster of teeth in your room and can't stop dreaming about teeth, and i find teeth not that interesting.

why don't you write a letter to admissions - my good sir, i believe we should be admitted to dental schools based solely on how much we love teeth. Not our gpa, dat, volunteer, research, and shadowing experience because those are useless indicators when trying to gauge who would make good dentists.

lol i'm still curious about your stats and no lying :)

only after u post ur pic and if ur hot.

I will say i choose dentistry because 80% of lifestyle and the rest is working with hand. Ok i lied i choose it because of 90% lifestyle.
Here is how to untangle your dilemma. Ask yourself this question: Who are more important to you? Stranger or your own family (and yourself). For me, my family are the most valuable thing to me. At the end of the day, a job is still a job. I rather choose a job that can still help people in some way but can still go home and enjoying my hot chocolate milk next to the fireplace. I used to be premed but after i shadow several doctors it is obvious to me that their family always comes in the second place. I obviously don't want my husband to care for strangers over his own family.
Good luck on this cycle

COMPLETELY agree with this post. Every single one of us on here are attracted to the cushy lifestyle of dentists, what with the money, low(-er) stress level, and few(-er) working hours. It doesn't make any of us bad people to want to make sure our future career allows us enough time to spend with our families. We may not be saving lives as dentists, but we're making a lot of people healthy and happy, most importantly ourselves and those closest to us.

COMPLETELY agree with this post. Every single one of us on here are attracted to the cushy lifestyle of dentists, what with the money, low(-er) stress level, and few(-er) working hours. It doesn't make any of us bad people to want to make sure our future career allows us enough time to spend with our families. We may not be saving lives as dentists, but we're making a lot of people healthy and happy, most importantly ourselves and those closest to us.

everyone except trixie she just looooove teef

Status
Not open for further replies.