You SDN people need to stop telling students to retake the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rootz90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
seriously. There are so many people on this site with 22AA+ scores who don't even have interviews yet while people with 18-20AA scores already have got accepted. DAT scores are NOT the most important factor. People need to stop nitpicking individual scores and quickly jump to conclusion to tell someone to retake. This is getting ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
seriously. There are so many people on this site with 22AA+ scores who don't even have interviews yet while people with 18-20AA scores already have got accepted. DAT scores are NOT the most important factor. People need to stop nitpicking individual scores and quickly jump to conclusion to tell someone to retake. This is getting ridiculous.

worthless w/out examples.

I know the DAT was a huge factor in my application being strong and its the single quickest way to improve your standing. If a GPA is lacking, it can take years to bring up 0.2, while a 24 on the DAT can make you competitive at almost any school over night.

I do agree though, that re-taking the DAT because you have a 19AA but a 17RC or Bio doesn't make a lot of sense if you are an average test taker or have a strong app otherwise.

Its people's role to understand this is a FORUM, not a universal admissions center.

fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/
Noun
1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Members don't see this ad :)

I know the DAT was a huge factor in my application being strong and its the single quickest way to improve your standing. If a GPA is lacking, it can take years to bring up 0.2, while a 24 on the DAT can make you competitive at almost any school over night.

I do agree though, that re-taking the DAT because you have a 19AA but a 17RC or Bio doesn't make a lot of sense if you are an average test taker or have a strong app otherwise.

Under 20AA DAT club

very true

3.6 GPA
3.19 sGPA
19 TS
19 AA
4 pre dec interviews
2 dec 3rd acceptances

3.6 GPA
3.19 sGPA
19 TS
19 AA
4 pre dec interviews
2 dec 3rd acceptances

He'll yeah!!!

And guess what people??? Not everyone is an sdn dweller so there are many more like this..

Under 20AA DAT club
I am not sure I see how this is relevant to what I posted?

3.6 GPA
3.19 sGPA
19 TS
19 AA
4 pre dec interviews
2 dec 3rd acceptances

Congrats and all, but you didn't have a low DAT or GPA. Unless you had a specific section that was really low, no one reasonable would have suggested you to re-take the DAT.

People are just giving their opinion of what they think the person should do. Usually the retake advice is usually for people under 19TS or 19 AA or one really bad score. I think people offer that advice since the 1 score can look bad plus 19 is the average for people who end up being accepted, not sure though.

People need to realize it is just opinions, anything any of us say could be right or wrong, but we all are just speculating what we think adcoms would want the person to do. It is up to the person if they want to follow the advice or just call the school to find out themselves or just ignore the opinions of the people on this forum.

undergrad gpa: 3.1
masters gpa: 3.45
- retook my dat -
ts: 25 (21 first time)
aa: 24 (21 first time)
pat: 21 (21 first time)

honestly, i had decent scores the first time, but for me retaking the dat to get a higher score was the only thing that would put my mind at ease. so for those that want to leave no stone unturned then why not re-take your dat. got 2 pre-dec interviews and 2 acceptances

Congrats and all, but you didn't have a low DAT or GPA. Unless you had a specific section that was really low, no one reasonable would have suggested you to re-take the DAT.

I thought 3.2 sgpa is considered low by sdn standard. Lol
I have 3 scores below 19.
18 bio,17 rc,18 qr,18 Pat but still 19aa/ts. I have

Define what u meant by really low.

Thanks for the congrats man, I appreciate it. Take a look tho...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=905659

Just goes to show, everything on SDN is matter of opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)

Depends on the section, but as a general rule (which does not apply to all applicants), less than 17. Depending on the rest of your app, and if there are specific schools you want to get into, that number may be higher or lower.

Rootz, have u been accepted anywhere?

Rootz, have u been accepted anywhere?

Applying next year but I can't sleep every night because I keep seeing 22AA+ scores on sdn. I have a 3.8 gpa though

Lol, I stand corrected. Moral of the story, be careful of who is giving the advice you take.

True. Ideally, they are probably right. But there are definitely schools out there that aren't only looking at numbers.

True. Ideally, they are probably right. But there are definitely schools out there that aren't only looking at numbers.

Lol everyone told you to retake...

Heres the thing with his DAT score, I think people want to keep tying GPA and DAT. If you have a solid DAT it is going to be hard to get a lot better. People were basically wanting him to get 20+. While it happens on SDN like every other poster, that is still hard to do and a lot of luck involved.

Plus how was your GPA trend the last couple years and what was your BCP GPA?

May I direct you to this thread? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=968435

I've seen others like it.

ETA:

Lol, I stand corrected. Moral of the story, be careful of who is giving the advice you take.

Didn't see this before I posted. However, while the poster above had a low sGPA (and that could've factored into the recommendation to retake the DAT), the poster in my ex has a very solid sGPA and was still told to retake the DAT, even though his DAT score is at the average for accepted students.

We on SDN are somewhat of a group of over-achievers; after all, we are taking our own initiative to participate in these forums! :) That being said, I rarely see a retake suggested unless someone has a section with a low score, such as a 15 in RC. (The exception of this is QR... It doesn't seem to carry much importance.) The other times, a retake is suggested when a good DAT score is intended to compensate for something else, such as a GPA on the lower end. When people ask for advice, I think everyone just does their best to give an honest opinion. Over in the DAT forum, which you're probably talking about, I have seen VERY few posts that were derogatory or possibly intended to "bring down" the poster. In the end, though, we're all just speculators, and we're doing the best we can to help each other out! Congratulations to all of you for your acceptances! :)

Applying next year but I can't sleep every night because I keep seeing 22AA+ scores on sdn. I have a 3.8 gpa though

I think you just might need a retake.

We on SDN are somewhat of a group of over-achievers; after all, we are taking our own initiative to participate in these forums! :)

This is true. I think SDN has a high concentration of type A personalities. Basically high-achieving people who work hard to get to where they are. I don't think it's a bad thing at all, and it probably keeps a lot of people on their toes and encourages them to keep working hard. The pre-dental forums especially seem to be a very supportive place on this website.

Within the context of this discussion, I will mainly refer to the Academic Average of the DAT scores I am talking about. This is because the AA is an average of 5 sections and can be used as a quick tool to gauge DAT score range. Instead of quoting specific numbers for all sections, only talking about the AA gives the reader a quick point of reference as to what I'm referring to.

That being said, I rarely see a retake suggested unless someone has a section with a low score, such as a 15 in RC. (The exception of this is QR... It doesn't seem to carry much importance.) The other times, a retake is suggested when a good DAT score is intended to compensate for something else, such as a GPA on the lower end.

In some ways I agree with this. I've seen retakes suggested for people who score an 18 or 19 AA. I don't know whether I would say that it rarely occurs, but it does occur with some frequency. Usually it doesn't occur and usually when people suggest a retake it's because the individual has either a) done poorly on the DAT overall (ex. 15's and 16's littered throughout the score), b) done poorly in one section that counts (as you said, QR is generally an exception to this, because schools don't place as much weight on that), or c) DAT is attempting to compensate for a low GPA and the person didn't quite score in a range that will compensate for a low GPA.

Having said that, these generally well-reasoned suggestions for retaking the DAT are not always the case. There are definitely times that I've seen on this forum, people with an 18AA or a 19AA (no score below 17) being told to retake the DAT to score the "magical" number of 20AA or above. However, for many dental schools the average AA of the entering class is a 19 (I used the Official Guide to Dental Schools 2012 here, quick glance at Table 3-4). Some schools have an average AA higher than that, and some schools have an average AA lower than that.

One must look objectively and admit that this retake philosophy to get the mythical 20AA does happen. Most frequently, people are able to be pragmatic and make reasonable suggestions, however there are times during which people who don't really need to retake the DAT have been told to retake.

One of the problems with this, as I see it, is that there really is no "magical" number for the DAT. As we have seen within the application cycle, people with 18AA's get accepted and people with 24AA's don't necessarily get any interviews pre-December. The opposite is true as well. And honestly, with an average DAT of 19 for many dental schools, there are far more people with lower DAT scores who get admitted to dental schools than people realize.

The other, larger problem that I see with the fact that this does happen (not necessarily overwhelmingly, but it really does), is whether an individual really is capable of scoring significantly higher on the next DAT attempt. If one follows the DAT forums, one can see that a number of people score higher than their first attempt on their second attempt. However, one does also see scores that are pretty much the same numerically on the second attempt as they are on the first attempt (and since there is a sampling bias for SDN posts, I am willing to bet that people who score the same scores or even lower than their first attempt are not going to be as inclined to make a thread about it). I guess here, one must make a determination of what constitutes a significant jump in scores.

Is a 20AA really so different from a 19AA that certain people with GPA's within the normal range are told to retake the DAT? Perhaps. However, this is a difficult determination to make, considering that the DAT curve is strange in my opinion (for ex, a 22AA can signify 93% or 98-99%, depending on the exam, and that difference in percentiles is pretty significant). The other thing is, dental schools don't see the percentile you scored in, so even if you do improve in the percentile, if you score around the same score, it'll look as if you didn't improve at all during your DAT retake. And that is not what people who are retaking the DAT are going for. Sure, if you score higher for the retake, you are stronger in the applicant pool, as far as DAT scores are concerned anyway. How likely is it that someone is really going to score higher, though? That's an important question.

At this point I wish I had some data that shows how people who are retaking the DAT score in comparison to their original scores. I'm pretty sure that the ADEA has some data on that, but I was unable to find it at this point. I believe I've been told that people retaking the DAT don't score significantly higher in the general sense, however I do not have the data to back that up, so if someone has a link to that (proving or disproving my point), that would be mighty helpful in this discussion.

Anyway, I'm gonna wrap this up. I think we can admit that telling someone to improve an 18 or 19 AA happens on this forum. It's not the most common thing, but it does happen. I like to think that it's all our Type A personalities interacting and making us kind of paranoid about our scores being the easiest way to determine whether people are going to be accepted to dental school (since EC's are harder to gauge). The DAT is something that can be improved upon fairly quickly in most people's minds (you sit for an exam that lasts a day...notice how I didn't say that the DAT was easy to improve, I don't think it is), so if people want to improve something in their application to make them stand out a little more than the average accepted student, that's what they go to first.

I think, though, that the ultimate determination of whether the DAT scores can be improved should in no case be "you didn't get a 20+AA even though you have an 18-19AA, so you need to retake" as that is flawed reasoning. This determination should be made by asking the OP questions such as: do you think you performed your best? Did you study as much as you could? Did you learn the material to the best of what you would consider your ability? Is there really room to improve or are you risking a significant chance of scoring lower or at the same level? Does one really need to retake? etc. Essentially, it's a more personalized approach.

When people ask for advice, I think everyone just does their best to give an honest opinion. Over in the DAT forum, which you're probably talking about, I have seen VERY few posts that were derogatory or possibly intended to "bring down" the poster.

I don't think there are many posts that are derogatory or intended to "bring someone down," but I do think that what I stated above is true.

In the end, though, we're all just speculators, and we're doing the best we can to help each other out! Congratulations to all of you for your acceptances! :)

Agreed. I think people do the best they can in their own way.

Glimmer1991, in no way is this post meant to attack you personally...I just got into the writing mood, I guess, and used topics I saw in your post to express my thoughts. It's a general post, though.

Also, I have finals, so I'm gonna try to not be on SDN. If this thread has died by the time I come back, at least this post was fun to write. :D

ETA: shulk (below me) posted some great data sbout DAT and retakes. The following is what doc toothache had to say on the subject in the post shulk posted:

"The data suggests that there is a considerable drop in the scores for the repeaters in all areas, except perhaps PA. Based on this evidence it should be clear that retaking the test is risky, at best. Unless there are solid reason for repeating, the temptation to retake should be avoided. Good reasons would be: 1. you did not prepare adequately for the exam 2. you had a hangover the day of the exam. 3. Your mean DAT (AA) and PA scores are more than 1 point below the national mean or below the mean for the school(s) of your choice.

Unless your plan is to make some fundamental changes in the approach to the exam, such as, spending more time, and making substantial changes to the material used, the advice remains the same."

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me quietly add that Yes, DAT scores are very, very important---- HOWEVER , other aspects of your applicant can override mediocre test scores for MANY schools.

I got a 16 PAT 17RC and 17QR (19AA 21 TS) and received 3 pre-dec interviews, currently have 2 post and have been accepted at all 3 schools.

I deliberated a retake and felt it was one of the hardest decisions I've made in my life (sounds ridiculous, but I did NOT want to wait another year to re-apply). I asked you guys on SDN for advice and most told me to retake, some said just roll with what I had. I sacked up and decided to remain confident in the entirety of my application- my strengths elsewhere, and look where it has gotten me!

Bottom line is nobody can tell you to retake the DAT unless they know everything about your application. This means GPA , EC's, volunteerism, experience in the field, etc. Be wise. SDN can be a wonderful source of assistance when you feel you are in a rut, however, take all advice with a grain of salt.

:) good luck to all!

Jean--I definitely didn't take that as an attack! I don't disagree with anything you've said; yes, I've definitely seen people suggest a retake when it really isn't necessary. On a slightly different point, though, I think that a lot of the times when people feel the need to ask if they need a retake, they probably know the answer already. Even if someone has a 20 AA, if they have a 15 in reading, it maybe just won't cut it. Shulk is right about "bombing" and not meeting cutoffs; it's unfortunate, but I wouldn't bank on schools making an exception for me and letting that score slide!

I typically only suggest retakes with scores in the 18-19 range if the poster 1) bombs a section, 2) remarks that they weren't at their best on test day, or 3) admitted they didn't prepare as well as they should have. If a person is truly capable of making a better score, it certainly won't hurt! :) It sounds like you all agree with me on these reasons for retakes, too.

I absolutely think that scores in the 18-19 range, accompanied by a good GPA and ECs, can get a person accepted to DS. There's no doubt about that! I also completely agree that it is MUCH harder to gauge ECs and a GPA improvement can take years, thus it is often most feasible to work on improving one's DAT score.

DAT retake scores often go down, and we've all seen the statistics. However, on SDN, we're a very isolated group of people who are highly dedicated to this process, and I almost always see people whose scores improve--and sometimes the improvement is drastic! So, for most people, retakes may be a bad idea. For all of us SDNers, though? Maybe not! :)

It might be wiser to quit asking for advice on retakes. There is plenty of information available on mean DAT, range of DAT, minimums, if any, which an individual can use to make his/her own decision.

OP I know whatcha mean, I would come on this site and think my scores are GARBAGE. Than I told myself that its the Internet....that's it. So I called the schools I was interested in. Midwestern AZ and ASDOH. ASDOH was pumped on my scores but really didn't care much, they asked about my ECs....not a surprise. They told me as long as nothing is below a 17 you can apply to ASDOH with a shot. Midwestern told me that they look for 18-20 AA, anything above is just like wow your smart we get it lol. I than asked Midwestern if I should retake, they responded with more often than not people do worse the 2nd time. Docs spreadsheet supports this. Than in one of my pre-dental classes a rep from UCLA dental school showed us all the stats from his school. He said " there isn't a big difference for us when we look at applicants that have a 19-25AA, once you hit that 19 mark your good and we look at other parts of the app". He than talked about research of course. So that's just my experience, I was sick of SDN bashing people so I went and called the schools. Hope this helps! O BTW my DAT is 18/19/23 and gpa is 3.4 sci and overall so I'm sure people can see why I decided to call. I'm right in the middle.

Ok so here are my stats,

DAT

AA 19
PAT 18
TS 22
GC 21
OC 23
Bio 23
RC 16
QR 14

OGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.90 .. I have over 2000+ shadowing/volunteering/work experience, 100+ dental laboratory waxup/model work experience ( hopefully if i get an interview i will show some of my work like crowns/bridges etc..) 3strong LORs and one LOR from a dentist and clinical instructor from usc that i shadowed with... And i have a family memeber ( brother ) who is a dental master ceramist from ucla ( dont know if this makes a difference lol). Also currently i am employed at a digital dental laboratory were i operate 3D software which are being used by most dental schools and graduate professionals ( OMS and GPs) across the nation ( ASDOH, NYU, USC, BAylor, Buffalo... Etc). Hoping my ECs/ work experience will help my situation.

OK... so i posted this earlier and I want to update on my situation,

I HAVE an acceptance at MWU-AZ and my interviewer at NOVA said he will recommend me 100% after the interview. BUT I want to mention that before applying to MWU-AZ I called the admissions and one of the adcoms told me " DO NOT APPLY, you will NOT be invited for an interview with a 14 in math".... well guess what? he was WRONG!!!!!!!! After sending my app 16th batch i got an interview 3 days later... yes it was a post-dec (FEB13th invite) but i was able to change it to OCT and now I am IN!!!!!!!!! My point is.. It is possible to get an acceptance with a low DAT score IF you have other things in you app that make up for this bad score or scores because my RC score is crap too.

Anyways, i thought i should share this story. Hope this gives some people with low DAT scores some hope!

Good Luck guys! :)

It is possible to get an acceptance with a low DAT score IF you have other things in you app that make up for this bad score or scores because my RC score is crap too.

I agree and submit my RC score as evidence as well. I have six acceptances. When I first took the DAT, I was in super panic mode over my scores, mostly due to the pool of geniuses that are on SDN and get 22+ across the board. Obviously make yourself as competitive as you can, but it's not the end of the world if you get a couple bad scores.

Jean--I definitely didn't take that as an attack! I don't disagree with anything you've said; yes, I've definitely seen people suggest a retake when it really isn't necessary. On a slightly different point, though, I think that a lot of the times when people feel the need to ask if they need a retake, they probably know the answer already. Even if someone has a 20 AA, if they have a 15 in reading, it maybe just won't cut it. Shulk is right about "bombing" and not meeting cutoffs; it's unfortunate, but I wouldn't bank on schools making an exception for me and letting that score slide!

I typically only suggest retakes with scores in the 18-19 range if the poster 1) bombs a section, 2) remarks that they weren't at their best on test day, or 3) admitted they didn't prepare as well as they should have. If a person is truly capable of making a better score, it certainly won't hurt! :) It sounds like you all agree with me on these reasons for retakes, too.

I absolutely think that scores in the 18-19 range, accompanied by a good GPA and ECs, can get a person accepted to DS. There's no doubt about that! I also completely agree that it is MUCH harder to gauge ECs and a GPA improvement can take years, thus it is often most feasible to work on improving one's DAT score.

DAT retake scores often go down, and we've all seen the statistics. However, on SDN, we're a very isolated group of people who are highly dedicated to this process, and I almost always see people whose scores improve--and sometimes the improvement is drastic! So, for most people, retakes may be a bad idea. For all of us SDNers, though? Maybe not! :)

Hahaha, good! It was early in the am and I was up to study for an exam, so I let off some steam. ;)

I do agree with the majority of what you're saying, btw.

There is no way I am retaking my DAT after seeing all these responses lol...

well, they're prob not the MOST important..but i'd prob put it behind gpa if anything at all. you have to consider both of those factors if you wanna make the initial cut

It might be wiser to quit asking for advice on retakes. There is plenty of information available on mean DAT, range of DAT, minimums, if any, which an individual can use to make his/her own decision.

+1

I completely agree with you OP, that people tend to quickly jump on the "retake the DAT" bandwagon, but when it comes down to it people post asking for advice, and others offer them advice in their own opinion. People should take that with a grain of salt and do what they want. If they don't want to hear that they should retake the DAT, then don't post asking for advice.

i think you do too. Your DAT isn't good enough for that crappy GPA. I would say a minimum of 28 AA.

at least i got my gpa at a reputable research university and i got 3.8 for my last 80 credits. u mad bro?

at least i got my gpa at a reputable research university and i got 3.8 for my last 80 credits. u mad bro?

tumblrm3g6smbebn1qkl3yp.gif

Not at all. No body gives a crap what school you went to. There are people who went to CC and got DAT scores higher than you. If your University is that good then you should have at least a 25AA.

Not at all. No body gives a crap what school you went to. There are people who went to CC and got DAT scores higher than you. If your University is that good then you should have at least a 25AA.

you sound mad chill bro

If you don't want to retake the DAT... nobody is putting a gun to a head and forcing you to. SDN tends to be the blind leading the blind and you don't have to listen to your peers here if you don't trust them or you're not confident in their advice. If you really don't want to retake the DAT, I'd say apply with what you have and try your luck.

Since when did no one care about what school you went to? Don't give other pre-dental students the wrong information. I know for a fact adcoms take undergrad institution into consideration when going through applications.

If people went to CC and got 25 AA, more power to them. That's no reason for you to discount a lower end GPA coupled with a 23 AA though.

Since when did no one care about what school you went to? Don't give other pre-dental students the wrong information. I know for a fact adcoms take undergrad institution into consideration when going through applications.

If people went to CC and got 25 AA, more power to them. That's no reason for you to discount a lower end GPA coupled with a 23 AA though.

Ok. I am NOT even gonna look up your posts but I am assuming you have a low GPA??? with a high DAT?

Ok. I am NOT even gonna look up your posts but I am assuming you have a low GPA??? with a high DAT?

Perhaps you should look up Teethfordays' posts. She's been accepted to dental school with her low GPA??? with a high DAT?

i personally believe that you should strive to get the highest gpa and dat score possible, AT THE SAME DANG TIME.

Yeah attacking her was really unnecessary

. Where you go to school does play a factor, but to what degree we have no clue we can only speculate exactly how much it factors in, well unless an adcom told people on here.

I went to a CSU and I know that people who went to UCB and UCLA who had the same stats as me in terms of GPA would be looked at as a better applicant than me probably since they went to more prestigious schools. All I know is I couldn't afford to go to a UC, so I went to SFSU since I knew they had an established post-bac for people interested in applying to dental school. Was associated with UCSF and I think now associated with UOP.