All Branch Topic (ABT) You said it would happen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas Shrugged

Family Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the 2017 NDAA passed (although not signed yet) I am having my first regrets in joining and I'm only a medical student. If they can screw with my BAH that severely without any change in my contract that is an incredible red flag. How can one make a career out of such an unstable foundation?

Members don't see this ad.

Only the Senate version as passed, the House version of NDAA does not have the provisions for BAH cuts. Plus that whole thing about Guantanamo Bay and POTUS vetoing anything that includes extending the existence of that prison camp...still some way to go.

But to answer your question you cannot build a serious career out of an unstable foundation. Unless you only have eyes for your pension. which is also not entirely stable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, you joined the military after having been exposed to this forum. You knew. Now you'll just have to make lemonade.

Reactions: 2 users
With the 2017 NDAA passed (although not signed yet) I am having my first regrets in joining and I'm only a medical student. If they can screw with my BAH that severely without any change in my contract that is an incredible red flag. How can one make a career out of such an unstable foundation?
whats the issue with this? I just read that females are now required to be drafted if youre born on a certain date or after. how is this bad for HPSP/military docs?

whats the issue with this? I just read that females are now required to be drafted if youre born on a certain date or after. how is this bad for HPSP/military docs?

I think they are more interested in the cuts to BAH in the senate approved bill.

The selective service enrollment for women is just a charade. America is a long way from putting women on the front-lines involuntarily if there is an all out war and the draft were instituted. First unless we get in a protracted war with Russia or China the draft ain't coming back. In that remote chance of all out war with Russia or China women could be drafted for support roles (logistics, human resources, IT, intelligence etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Look, you joined the military after having been exposed to this forum. You knew. Now you'll just have to make lemonade.
Honestly this is pretty unprecedented. I came in understanding that my career might be derailed by a GMO tour, that I could be commanded by non providers, that I could be forced to take admin I didn't want, and that my pay might be months late. However the Senate simply giving everyone in the military a massive paycut without even grandfathering in everyone who is waiting to complete an obligation... that's new.

Honestly this is pretty unprecedented. I came in understanding that my career might be derailed by a GMO tour, that I could be commanded by non providers, that I could be forced to take admin I didn't want, and that my pay might be months late. However the Senate simply giving everyone in the military a massive paycut without even grandfathering in everyone who is waiting to complete an obligation... that's new.

from what i read the other day this would take effect with new folks. there would be a grandfathering to us older schmucks. http://www.military.com/daily-news/...op-pay-raise-bah-cuts-health-care-reform.html it helps the house didn't have it and the military brass are against it.

--your friendly neighborhood BAH abusing (apparently) caveman

if you start next year you'll probably be ok.

"The Senate legislation calls for beginning Jan. 1, 2018, setting the allowance for new entrants at "the actual monthly cost of housing" or an amount "based on the costs of adequate housing" for each military housing area, according to a copy of the legislation. It also states two or more service members occupying the same housing would split the allowance."

still way early to start wailing/gnashing teeth-- give it a few more months.

--your friendly neighborhood living the dream through dual BAH caveman

Reactions: 1 user
so if i sign on right now to hpsp, i would get the short end the stick??
You may be okay, but the larger issue is that if the military did decide to massively cut pay, you would have no real recourse. If a civilian institution violated a contract, there would be some kind of settlement, or they would at least terminate the contract and let you walk. There is nothing you can do in the military, and you're still stuck. You'll get nothing and like it.

smails.jpg

You may be okay, but the larger issue is that if the military did decide to massively cut pay, you would have no real recourse. If a civilian institution violated a contract, there would be some kind of settlement, or they would at least terminate the contract and let you walk. There is nothing you can do in the military, and you're still stuck. You'll get nothing and like it.

View attachment 205298

Massive payouts would have to go through congress and not sure they would pass given that a vote for them would be used during campaign season