You pharmacists are lucky.. sigh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat5206

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations for getting into pharmacy school or already working as a pharmacist. I wish i could be one and have a recession free job as well as a comfortable lifestyle without any financial worries. But unfortunately no matter how hard I try i just can’t get the grades. Please dont make comments like "if you try you will succeed". That’s not reality. You guys have been blessed with a mind (genetics) that helps you achieve higher than average educational stats. So long pharmacy thread.. Im going to start my life journey a different path.. don’t know yet. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

You can make good money doing all sorts of things. Even in a recession people need their AC, water heater, toilet, refrigerator, cars, etc in working condition. That requires skilled people. Go hit up a trade school and get moving. My dad worked as an electrician for 45 years and never once worried about having enough work to do. If you're good at what you do and treat people well they'll refer you to others.

HVAC techs and plumbers make a lot too...good job outlook.

Members don't see this ad :)
HVAC techs and plumbers make a lot too...good job outlook.

Yeah, that's true the pay is great when you have a license. (in some states it is a tedious process).But they literally have to put up with a lot of crap... And sometimes it's just not worth it. ( I have a family member who's a plumber and ex HVAC tech).

My dad is a dairy farmer and he literally has to put up with a lot of crap.

My stepdad is a painter and owns his own business. Many of the other local painters aren't too busy with the slowing economy but he's doing fantastic because he's very very good at what he does. He's one of the only guys in town where business is still booming. I think there are many other jobs like this that one could go into. You just have to work hard and strive to be the best at whatever job you choose.

If you're a hot or beautiful chick, you still have two great options:
1) Marry a rich guy who doesn't care what you do, because he thinks you're the hottest thing since the Beatles circa 1964.
2) See if you can pull some modeling jobs. Whether they're clothed, lingerie, nude, etc., it really doesn't matter. Beauty is nearly priceless, and it's always in demand.

There's some jobs out there you would never think paid so awesome. I met a septic tank cleaner who was an engineer laid off from NASA... and now he makes enough to own a little plane, boat, car and a house. He not only sucks up shat but designs and installs septic tanks too. dude banks off the shat business.

If you're a hot or beautiful chick, you still have two great options:
1) Marry a rich guy who doesn't care what you do, because he thinks you're the hottest thing since the Beatles circa 1964.
2) See if you can pull some modeling jobs. Whether they're clothed, lingerie, nude, etc., it really doesn't matter. Beauty is nearly priceless, and it's always in demand.

Is someone hard up for a date ...that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard she could do many many other things....

after pharmacy school...i'm going back to finish my car mechanic degree

i wanted to be a grease monkey for a long time b/c it is what i like doing
i like telling people i work on cars for a living and deal drugs on the side

You could just make the game show circuit... I've already done Wheel of Fortune & would love to get on Jeopardy :p

Is someone hard up for a date ...that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard she could do many many other things....
No. It's tenth on my list of back-up plans. It's 100% legit too. Adriana Sklenarikova Karembeu was studying medicine in Prague and quit to do modeling. She's a smart girl. Why would someone look at sick people all day when they could be strolling around in Wonderbras and such??? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
waiters make a ton of money!! my friend is a waiter at downtown disney (while going to school)...he makes like 300 dollars in tips every friday and/or saturday night.

No. It's tenth on my list of back-up plans. It's 100% legit too. Adriana Sklenarikova Karembeu was studying medicine in Prague and quit to do modeling. She's a smart girl. Why would someone look at sick people all day when they could be strolling around in Wonderbras and such??? :smuggrin:

I plan to look at sick people all day AND stroll around in a Wonderbra. I just hope my wife doesn't find out :eek:

My friend makes $60k/yr working 20-25 hours a week at D&B. She works private parties too, that might help.

Wait. So if one were to work 40 hours.....then....God dammit....why the hell have I wasted the last 7 years of my life.....

You also get treated like crap sometimes and have to deal with demanding customers who want their concoctions....

...wait that's every retail pharmacy on the planet. DAMN IT!

after pharmacy school...i'm going back to finish my car mechanic degree

i wanted to be a grease monkey for a long time b/c it is what i like doing
i like telling people i work on cars for a living and deal drugs on the side

Hey bro,

Haha... it's so funny, I also wanted to be "grease monkey" (mechanic) or "pig" (police officer), and was so close to enrolling in a 2 yr program to become a certified mechanic. However, I was just accepted into pharmacy school and so like you, I'll probably start the mechanic program after pharm school.

OP: to be honest, there are tons of jobs out there that can make as much or more than a pharmacist which others have mentioned. I think even "sanitation engineers" (garbage person) make about 100K... or so I've heard...

The figures for sanitation folks is in the $60-75k range in the LA Metro area...no sources, I might be wrong...I just remember reading it a while back.

I really want to learn something handy eventually...I'm pretty handy around the house, I tiled a whole bathroom by myself once, tile saw and everything.

I really want to learn something handy eventually...I'm pretty handy around the house, I tiled a whole bathroom by myself once, tile saw and everything.
Get a book at Home Depot and read it over the summer. You're smart, so I'm sure you could figure it out.
You should try to learn how to install interior fixtures like lights or ceiling fans. People like to buy new light kits and ceiling fans from do-it-yourself stores, but they never know where to begin after they buy them. Updated lights and fans can really add a lot to a room or an outside area (just my $0.02).

Yeah...but it's different figuring it out yourself vs. having an experienced person teach you first before tackling your first job. I've already installed light fixtures and other small things (replaced the kitchen track lighting and added recessed lighting in the living room)...but it took a really long time and a few mistakes ended up costing me more time/money/trip back to Home Depot.

I guess my next home will see a better installation...

EDIT: oops...i think i meant i wanted to learn how to fix cars and stuff, not be "handy" haha...all i know how to do is replace lights/air filter/oil filter & oil/etc... on a car. i just don't have the spare time like a lot of my friends do to spend a whole day just messin around with the engine.

A physician's office toilet was overflowing. Immediately called was a plumber. An older guy came with a plunger and took care of the offending toilet in 15 seconds.

The plumber presented the bill to the doctor. $150. The doctor gasped..$150... "I'm a doctor and I don't even make that kind of money for 15 seconds of work."

The plumber said.. "I used to be a doctor and didn't make that kind of money either.."

A physician's office toilet was overflowing. Immediately called was a plumber. An older guy came with a plunger and took care of the offending toilet in 15 seconds.

The plumber presented the bill to the doctor. $150. The doctor gasped..$150... "I'm a doctor and I don't even make that kind of money for 15 seconds of work."

The plumber said.. "I used to be a doctor and didn't make that kind of money either.."

Is that a true story? If so, that is one of the best things I have ever heard :laugh::thumbup:

Is that a true story? If so, that is one of the best things I have ever heard :laugh::thumbup:

I'm not sure if that's a true story. But here is a true story for you.

About 6 years ago, my AC went out in the middle of summer. Called a HVAC guy...he came out and filled my AC with Freeon Gas... Took him 5 minutes.

He charged me $150. I gladly paid.

Then we chit chatted. He said he just bought his son a Porsche. He asked what I did...told him I was a druggist.

Then he said his neighbor buddy is an Internal Medicine doctor.. And these are his exact words.

"You know..he only makes $150,000 per year....how can anyone make a living working so hard and not making much money"

He wasn't being sarcastic.

Congratulations for getting into pharmacy school or already working as a pharmacist. I wish i could be one and have a recession free job as well as a comfortable lifestyle without any financial worries. But unfortunately no matter how hard I try i just can't get the grades. Please dont make comments like "if you try you will succeed". That's not reality. You guys have been blessed with a mind (genetics) that helps you achieve higher than average educational stats. So long pharmacy thread.. Im going to start my life journey a different path.. don't know yet. :mad:

Nothing to worry about my friend, ten out of ten pharmacists I work with regret going to pharmacy school. No way they would have done it all over again. There's more to it than money, but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

It's pointless to argue with pre-pharmacy students, or pharmacy students, or ever fresh out of college pharmacists. After working in the field for a few years you realize that maybe the profession you chose is just not right for you...

I've carried all my pre-reqs over from pre-pharmacy to pre-med. I would definitely consider pharmacy as a second option, it's a well paying and stable profession, but at the same time it's very stressful and demanding, something that's impossible to understand unless you actually work in a pharmacy and get away from the idea of pharmacists standing behind a counter all day.

I'm not sure if that's a true story. But here is a true story for you.

About 6 years ago, my AC went out in the middle of summer. Called a HVAC guy...he came out and filled my AC with Freeon Gas... Took him 5 minutes.

He charged me $150. I gladly paid.

Then we chit chatted. He said he just bought his son a Porsche. He asked what I did...told him I was a druggist.

Then he said his neighbor buddy is an Internal Medicine doctor.. And these are his exact words.

"You know..he only makes $150,000 per year....how can anyone make a living working so hard and not making much money"

He wasn't being sarcastic.

HVAC Tech Salaries

The job outlook for HVAC technicians is outstanding. Job opportunities are expected to grow much faster than in the average occupation. Opportunities will be best for technicians who have completed some form of HVAC training. Due to high energy costs, technicians who specialize in energy-saving heating and cooling systems will be in high demand. Certification will also play an important role in securing employment.

Earnings vary depending upon the technician’s level of experience, place of employment, specialization, and geographic location. The median annual earnings for HVAC technicians is approximately $38,000.

HVAC Tech Salaries

The job outlook for HVAC technicians is outstanding. Job opportunities are expected to grow much faster than in the average occupation. Opportunities will be best for technicians who have completed some form of HVAC training. Due to high energy costs, technicians who specialize in energy-saving heating and cooling systems will be in high demand. Certification will also play an important role in securing employment.

Earnings vary depending upon the technician’s level of experience, place of employment, specialization, and geographic location. The median annual earnings for HVAC technicians is approximately $38,000.

And the salary for a guy who owns an HVAC company?

It's like this...you'll see a pharmacist with $100,000 to $120,000 salary..then you'll see a pharmacy owner with $500,000+ income.

Nothing to worry about my friend, ten out of ten pharmacists I work with regret going to pharmacy school. No way they would have done it all over again. There's more to it than money, but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

It's pointless to argue with pre-pharmacy students, or pharmacy students, or ever fresh out of college pharmacists. After working in the field for a few years you realize that maybe the profession you chose is just not right for you...

I've carried all my pre-reqs over from pre-pharmacy to pre-med. I would definitely consider pharmacy as a second option, it's a well paying and stable profession, but at the same time it's very stressful and demanding, something that's impossible to understand unless you actually work in a pharmacy and get away from the idea of pharmacists standing behind a counter all day. And as for hospital work, most prefer retail and patient contact.

Oh..is that right??

I've carried all my pre-reqs over from pre-pharmacy to pre-med. I would definitely consider pharmacy as a second option, it's a well paying and stable profession, but at the same time it's very stressful and demanding, something that's impossible to understand unless you actually work in a pharmacy and get away from the idea of pharmacists standing behind a counter all day. And as for hospital work, most prefer retail and patient contact.

I know many happy pharmacists (out >4 years). I do know unhappy ones but I also know that quite a few went into the profession so that they would make a good living. I've also come across at least 2 physicians who told me if they had it to do all over again they would have been pharmacists instead. I think some of the unhappy pharmacists didn't factor in the sacrifices or how hard they would have to work (or the stress level). I don't think it's wrong to go into a field for financial security, I just think that people need to accept the good with the bad. Most of the happy pharmacists that I know are in clinical positions though. Most of them did residencies and couldn't be happier with their jobs. I do think that's the minority since a lot of people don't want to put the extra work in. I am one of those people that if I were to go into retail I would probably last 1 month and then I would be miserable. The point is there are many options (and the grass is greener). As far as little to no patient interaction in a hospital that's a gross generalization. Many hospitals have decentralized pharmacists now and even the staff decentralized pharmacists have more "clinical" roles. I was at an institution where the staff pharmacists were transitioning to decentralized positions with more "clinical" roles and many of them left because they didn't want the patient interaction/extra responsibility. I think there are many people who go into pharmacy without a clear understanding of what pharmacy entails or the opportunities out there and that's a big problem.

Oh..is that right??

That's right. But I edited it out. :)

Just based on who I know.

On the flip-side though, I have an aunt who is a pharmacist up in Washington and she loves her job. She works in a hospital.

investment banking (80 hour weeks), entrepreneurship (very risky), MBA programs... you can still make money with these

I have plans with what I want to do with my pharmacy degree, but I always wanted to know what it was like to be a bartender too. It's cool that I'll be afford to maybe do that on the side for a while, just as something fun, and the pay isn't that bad either. :cool:

Nothing to worry about my friend, ten out of ten pharmacists I work with regret going to pharmacy school. No way they would have done it all over again.

You need to hang out with a tougher crowd, slick.

I've carried all my pre-reqs over from pre-pharmacy to pre-med. I would definitely consider pharmacy as a second option, it's a well paying and stable profession, but at the same time it's very stressful and demanding, something that's impossible to understand unless you actually work in a pharmacy and get away from the idea of pharmacists standing behind a counter all day.

And being a physician is a far better career choice huh? Obviously you can't even answer this question because you're only pre-medical. You can flip it any way you want for any job there is. I know plenty of doctors that said if they could do it over, they would never choose medical school again. One of them is just entering a 6 year interventive radiology/vascular surgery residency working 100 hours/week and he said the amount of work is just insane.

And being a physician is a far better career choice huh? Obviously you can't even answer this question because you're only pre-medical. You can flip it any way you want for any job there is. I know plenty of doctors that said if they could do it over, they would never choose medical school again. One of them is just entering a 6 year interventive radiology/vascular surgery residency working 100 hours/week and he said the amount of work is just insane.

I never said that. I'm not here to argue. I've worked with many pharmacists and that's simply what they told me. And they're some of the most wonderful people I have ever met.

I think she quit because she was tired of signing that name to every medical document she touched.

I had to look it up. Pretty cool.

Piece of useless wikipedia trivia.
Her 50-inch long legs earned her an entry in The Guinness Book of World Records.

Congratulations for getting into pharmacy school or already working as a pharmacist. I wish i could be one and have a recession free job as well as a comfortable lifestyle without any financial worries. But unfortunately no matter how hard I try i just can’t get the grades. Please dont make comments like "if you try you will succeed". That’s not reality. You guys have been blessed with a mind (genetics) that helps you achieve higher than average educational stats. So long pharmacy thread.. Im going to start my life journey a different path.. don’t know yet. :mad:

My old pharmacy boss said he made more money fixing cars than being a pharmacist.

If anyone is looking for a good way to make money, entrepreneurship is the way to go IMO. Granted it is not a guaranteed route, but a good business plan and a little luck can give you way better chances at making millions than winning the lottery. I'm currently in the plans of starting up my first business venture. So one day when I'm slaving away in a stress-filled pharmacy (for 40 hours, as opposed to 100) then I can at least hopefully have the satisfaction of a good day's work while making great money on the side.

A great quote to live by:
"Mind Your Own Business" Robert Kiyosaki's Rick Dad Poor Dad

If anyone is looking for a good way to make money, entrepreneurship is the way to go IMO. Granted it is not a guaranteed route, but a good business plan and a little luck can give you way better chances at making millions than winning the lottery. I'm currently in the plans of starting up my first business venture. So one day when I'm slaving away in a stress-filled pharmacy (for 40 hours, as opposed to 100) then I can at least hopefully have the satisfaction of a good day's work while making great money on the side.

A great quote to live by:
"Mind Your Own Business" Robert Kiyosaki's Rick Dad Poor Dad

true on better than the lottery...but you make starting a business seem as easy as reading a book and spending a few hours a week on the idea. Truth is... 80%+ of small businesses fail within 3 years and usually you're putting in tons of hours either passively or actively getting your business to go.

But yes...<20% success rate is better than the 1 in 44,000,000 for a typical lottery set up.

true on better than the lottery...but you make starting a business seem as easy as reading a book and spending a few hours a week on the idea. Truth is... 80%+ of small businesses fail within 3 years and usually you're putting in tons of hours either passively or actively getting your business to go.

But yes...<20% success rate is better than the 1 in 44,000,000 for a typical lottery set up.

Very true, another option is looking into an already established business that is run poorly/you think you could run it better and buying it. That is what my parents did and they are doing well and it is getting better every year. If I end up staying in the area I grew up, I may consider buying the business one day when they want to retire, and have it as a side venture. It has nothing to do with pharmacy so it offers variety. Never hurts to have the tax write offs and something else to drive you crazy...lol

Pilot maybe? Major airlines, UPS, Fedex pay really well but it's a fairly long and expensive journey with 20k/year pay at regionals while you try and get your first big job.

But pilots tell me there's nothing really hard about flying, just a LOT of really simple things.

Small business is definitely a better route than pharmacy if you make it. It takes a certain kind of person and lots of hard work and luck. I'm just not cut out for it at this point in my life(few failures). The risk is just too much and I figure a 6-year investment right now for a pharmd is a good investment in financial security. It'll also be a good way for me to work up capital for my entrepreneurial pursuits in the future. But if I knew I'd succeed early I wouldn't be going the pharmacy route. It's not a sure thing, business.

My old pharmacy boss said he made more money fixing cars than being a pharmacist.

My fiance is a mechanic and he is certified in gasoline engine repair, diseal engine repair, auto body and one that is for heavy machinery. He works for our state, which is having great financial difficulties, and he still brings in the money. He is able to work and support himself and also help me pay rent and bills at my apartment when money gets tight. And he is not a tight wad. He has a farm and will buy any piece of equipment whenever he feels the need and always has the money.

Anothe good thing about being a mechanic is that if money gets tight it is easy to pick up side work out of your own garage.

My fiance is a mechanic and he is certified in gasoline engine repair, diseal engine repair, auto body and one that is for heavy machinery. He works for our state, which is having great financial difficulties, and he still brings in the money. He is able to work and support himself and also help me pay rent and bills at my apartment when money gets tight. And he is not a tight wad. He has a farm and will buy any piece of equipment whenever he feels the need and always has the money.

Anothe good thing about being a mechanic is that if money gets tight it is easy to pick up side work out of your own garage.

When I'm not working or out with friends this summer I'm going to be spending time in my cousin's garage with her fiance. He's working out of the garage for now (6 car garage, at least 2 lifts) and I'm not expecting any financial reimbursement, the knowledge/experience is worth more.

When I'm not working or out with friends this summer I'm going to be spending time in my cousin's garage with her fiance. He's working out of the garage for now (6 car garage, at least 2 lifts) and I'm not expecting any financial reimbursement, the knowledge/experience is worth more.

Hopefully after I get out of school my fiance is opening up a garage of his own. He just wants to wait until we have an option for health insurance since he has amazing insurance through his current job.

Hopefully after I get out of school my fiance is opening up a garage of his own. He just wants to wait until we have an option for health insurance since he has amazing insurance through his current job.

I have a bunch of friends that are mechanically inclined and have made careers out of it, I'd be interested in developing a joint venture with one of them to open a garage (because most of them hate their current shops)

but.. that won't be for a while. I have to graduate first :laugh:

I would've love to have been a german/italian car mechanic.

I agree with you, and I am not saying that starting a business is a sure thing. My own father started a jewelry business a couple of years ago, and he still hasn't received much return. But he's not giving up yet and I have faith in him. And yes there are many businesses that require the hours and effort, but it really just depends on how much attention you want to put into something. A family friend started selling on eBay a couple of hours a week, and now her online store provides a very comfortable side-income.

So there will always be more failures than successes. But I just think that savviness, good planning, and some luck can definitely give you an upper hand. So it's not as easy as reading a book, but they're a start.

I will try not to be all talk and no play. If my current venture fails miserably, I'll be the one with the crying emoticon lol

Buying a business is a great idea--I'm sure there are a lot of compounding pharmacies out there with pharmacists waiting to retire.. However, you usually want a spouse to have a regular corporate job with corporate benefits to come along with it. You usually get reamed when it comes to insurance, and if you have a preexisting condition, your business better be making you rich.