you need to watch this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proclus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/doctors-diaries.html

I found this link posted in another thread here on SDN; forgive me but I'm not sure where or who posted it, but I'm sure glad they did.

It's a documentary that PBS did on a butch of Harvard med students, following them through their careers.

Everyone who is thinking about a career in medicine should watch this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Watched it on Netflix it was very informative. It's has some depressing spots but a really truthful look at medical school.

A good and realistic insight into med school for people who aren't there yet, or are contemplating a career/life in medicine. Thx for the link, glad I got to watch it. I think a lot more people need to watch this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Watched it on Hulu. It was good, revealing and informative. (Who's been using their word of the day calendar? :laugh:) Really disturbing to see the number of divorces. :eek: :confused:

Watched it on Hulu. It was good, revealing and informative. (Who's been using their word of the day calendar? :laugh:) Really disturbing to see the number of divorces. :eek: :confused:

I got the divorce handled all ready, I'm good to go!

They all say that. I said it and now I am happily remarried. 4 years in and no regrets. It can happen! :rolleyes:

Not saying it's impossible, but I'm 9 years out and still haven't come anywhere close to it happening again, nor am I looking to!

Members don't see this ad :)
the guy with the pony tail scares me. not because of his tattoos but because i sort of feel bad for him and am afraid i will turn out like him, in terms of having a tough time despite the MD...and i dont even have a tattoo!

Oh....its really great....thanks for sharing

the guy with the pony tail scares me. not because of his tattoos but because i sort of feel bad for him and am afraid i will turn out like him, in terms of having a tough time despite the MD...and i dont even have a tattoo!

Look into him a bit more, you'll find that most of his troubles are of his own making.

Beer, cigarettes, and refusing to move from a small town that won't employ him will do that.

There's a lot more beyond that. He made a few serious professional missteps that got him exactly where he is today. It's a lot more sad than scary, honestly.

honest question and sorry if i am ignorant but how do i look into him more, or can you PM me?

Just Google his name, Dr. Tom Tarter and do some reading, and read between the lines. Politics is what killed him in the long run-best I can tell, he stepped on people's toes (other doctors, not patients, they seem to universally love him) thinking his HMS degree would bail him out and got torpedoed. Instead of learning from it and playing nice, he remained 'true to himself' and it just got worse and worse for him. A good cautionary tale that shows that being a good doctor isn't the only thing we need to do to excel in this profession.

Just Google his name, Dr. Tom Tarter and do some reading, and read between the lines. Politics is what killed him in the long run-best I can tell, he stepped on people's toes (other doctors, not patients, they seem to universally love him) thinking his HMS degree would bail him out and got torpedoed. Instead of learning from it and playing nice, he remained 'true to himself' and it just got worse and worse for him. A good cautionary tale that shows that being a good doctor isn't the only thing we need to do to excel in this profession.
Yeah, he admitted this during the movie. I didn't see Dr. Tarter as being a scary character at all, but did see it as we have to pick our battles and sometimes you have to put up with (not necessarily compromise) policies that you don't agree with as a healthcare provider.

Beer, cigarettes, and refusing to move from a small town that won't employ him will do that.

The guy looked like a walking heart attack, why would an employer take on an insurance liability like that? "A harvard trained doctor who doesn't appear to even be able to manage his own health" is what I thought of him during the documentary.

The guy looked like a walking heart attack, why would an employer take on an insurance liability like that? "A harvard trained doctor who doesn't appear to even be able to manage his own health" is what I thought of him during the documentary.

We all do something unhealthy, for various reasons. I don't think his Harvard education was going to change his vices.

He was doing locum work, so obviously there was at least one that would. But yeah, his physical appearance obviously hurt him-the beer gut mixed with the long hair, tats and Harley definitely weren't helping him any. If you read posts from patients about him they tend to go along the lines of "at first I was intimidated by his appearance, but his personality won me over." If you ask the average doctor or patient what they want their first impression of a doctor to be is, "intimidating" isn't going to be anywhere near the top of the list, unless maybe he's planning to work for the mob ;)