You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're to busy to change your SDN user name from "LowlyPreMed" to something that excludes the word "PreMed."

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! :D

I still have yet to figure out why it was a good idea to move daylight savings time a month earlier. Anyone have a good explanation?

Not only that, but who made this decision, why, and how do they have the power to do so?

You're to busy to change your SDN user name from "LowlyPreMed" to something that excludes the word "PreMed."

You know you're in med school when...

...you were a college freshman and got frustrated about how nobody took you seriously as a pre-med

...you were an MS1 and completely understand why

...you were an MS 2 and don't take any med students seriously

Members don't see this ad :)
you hear of medstudents at wake forest iv-ing themselves (saving precious time eating/drinking to study) and think it might be a good idea.

You realize that when people say childbirth is a miracle of life, its because they're on the other side of the curtain/drape.

Sangria = bleeding in the sense of "Is there any internal bleeding, nurse?" (i.e. bleeding is a noun)

Sangrando = bleeding in the sense of "Are you bleeding?" (i.e. bleeding is part of a verb)

I've never heard of such a thing as "sangria" being used as a noun for "bleeding." The correct term is SANGRADO.

Example: El paciente presenta sangrado interno. = The patient presents internal bleeding.

Really.

PS. I do love sangria though. ;)

you hear of medstudents at wake forest iv-ing themselves (saving precious time eating/drinking to study) and think it might be a good idea.

I momentarily contemplated the idea of a provigil-benzo drip at one point, alert and yet calm at all times. . . . but then I took a deep breath and came to my senses.

you are describing in great detail the vomitting reflex while eating and think it's cool

I've never heard of such a thing as "sangria" being used as a noun for "bleeding." The correct term is SANGRADO.

Example: El paciente presenta sangrado interno. = The patient presents internal bleeding.

Really.

PS. I do love sangria though. ;)

They both work in my book. They also both work according to the Diccionario de la lengua espanola, 21st edition, 2001, Real Academia Espanola.

Sangria--(def. #1) Accion y efecto de sangrar.

Sangrado--Accion y efecto de sangrar.

I've also heard desangramiento and hemorragia (for things that I would not call a hemorrhage in English), though the dictionary definition for desangramiento suggests that it is a much greater (or even total) loss of blood rather than a simple "leak." Whatever. Perhaps it's just personal, or regional.

Sorry to harp on this. I can't imagine that very many people find it very interesting. I'll refrain from saying anything more about it.

The baristas at Starbucks know your name and what your typical drink is...

You swear that one of those baristas at Starbucks has strabismus, so you stare at him intently during your study breaks. As a result, he now thinks that you have a major crush on him.

Or someone has started stripping off his shirt for you in a public space, while saying "Well, since you're here, maybe you can check this out for me..."

They both work in my book. They also both work according to the Diccionario de la lengua espanola, 21st edition, 2001, Real Academia Espanola.

Sangria--(def. #1) Accion y efecto de sangrar.

Sangrado--Accion y efecto de sangrar.

I've also heard desangramiento and hemorragia (for things that I would not call a hemorrhage in English), though the dictionary definition for desangramiento suggests that it is a much greater (or even total) loss of blood rather than a simple "leak." Whatever. Perhaps it's just personal, or regional.

Sorry to harp on this. I can't imagine that very many people find it very interesting. I'll refrain from saying anything more about it.

Its ok. What some of the pundits dont realize is that overall spanish is more humorus then English.. In the U.S. the attitude may be the Dow Jones or keep up with the Jones, or make SURE you stress yourself out((fortunately the entire world is not like this). So having studied in Mexico I could see numerous different ways and dialects to say bleeding... [in a city hospital speaking Spanish is kind of a big deal]:thumbup:

Its ok. What some of the pundits dont realize is that overall spanish is more humorus then English.. In the U.S. the attitude may be the Dow Jones or keep up with the Jones, or make SURE you stress yourself out((fortunately the entire world is not like this). So having studied in Mexico I could see numerous different ways and dialects to say bleeding... [in a city hospital speaking Spanish is kind of a big deal]:thumbup:

This pundit (me) is Spanish, so forgive me for calling out the discrepancy. I had never heard "sangria" used in any context other than to name the drink that has that name. I agree with Chulito that it might be a regional/coloquial term used in certain places only (most of the ones I can think of would use "sangrado").

I know how extensive and varied Spanish can be, so please refrain from teaching me things about my own culture (yes, I was born and grew up in a foreign country, so I'm not just giving empty talk).

This pundit (me) is Spanish, so forgive me for calling out the discrepancy. I had never heard "sangria" used in any context other than to name the drink that has that name.

I know how extensive and varied Spanish can be, so please refrain from teaching me things about my own culture (yes, I was born and grew up in a foreign country, so I'm not just giving empty talk).

Buddy, as far as I know sangria (Yugo Sangria) I believe the name is, is a wine...:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Buddy, as far as I know sangria (Yugo Sangria) I believe the name is, is a wine...:confused:

And since when is wine not a drink? I grew up drinking it, I would know.

Again, thanks, but I think I know where I come from.

And since when is wine not a drink? I grew up drinking it, I would know.

Again, thanks, but I think I know where I come from.

:sleep:

Thanks for destroying the thread with your little culture lesson.

:sleep:

Thanks for destroying the thread with your little culture lesson.

Skip over it if necessary, I was responding to other posters. ;)

Skip over it if necessary, I was responding to other posters. ;)

Hard to skip when you post four one-line posts, which easily could have been consolidated into a paragraph.

Here, I'll restart the thread:

You know you're in med school when you think other people are interested in your analysis of foreign languages.

Hard to skip when you post four one-line posts, which easily could have been consolidated into a paragraph.

You know you're in med school when you think other people are interested in your analysis of foreign languages.

You know you're in med school when somebody who took a few college classes and lived in a foreign country for 6 months is giving you lessons on your native language. :rolleyes:

(Not referring to Chulito, since based on his username he is probably a native speaker as well.)

ninjahijack.gif

All in good humor...

when its the night before the exam, you've spent countless hours studying the last week (or two) and your still not sure you have a grasp on the material. (ugh, tomorrow might be ugly)

You swallow so many bumble bee's/caffine drinks and feel like someone is leeching your CSF through a straw.

when you diagnose yourself with a fever/simple bacterial infection
but an exam's coming and you don't want to wait in line to see a !@#% nurse practitioner who'll take twenty minutes to deduce the same thing so you don't go

then you have multiple beers after the exam instead of going to the doctors because despite the sacrifices and 14-hr study days for the past weeks, your anus feels quite distended

You save time by brushing your teeth in the shower (if you shower) :D

when you diagnose yourself with a fever/simple bacterial infection
but an exam's coming and you don't want to wait in line to see a !@#% nurse practitioner who'll take twenty minutes to deduce the same thing so you don't go

then you have multiple beers after the exam instead of going to the doctors because despite the sacrifices and 14-hr study days for the past weeks, your anus feels quite distended

anus....distended.... what the **** are you talking about?

Tired-- I didnt say it, but you kind of echoed my thoughts...Id agree there is a "TRUE ART" to communicating properly, concisely, and at the right time {I think experience, time and timing has something to do with it}... Some even as physicians will never master that..{but they will still say "I speak well or, I communicate well"

anus....distended.... what the **** are you talking about?

it could be the failure to take care of yourself resulting in explosive diarrhea...nay...dysentery

it could be the vodka irritating your stomach, but youre too headstrong to puke

it could be the broom my psych prof just shoved up my butt. i mean seriously - venlafaxine vs. duloxetine? chlorpromine vs. prochlorperamine? i need an ergotamine.

ooh, just thought of one
you know youre in med school when you go to a strip club and look for the incisions for the implants, and then proceed to discuss the benefits/drawbacks of periareolar incisions vs. transaxial incisions

you know you're a med student when you steal stretchers to catch a few hours of sleep on call.

you see a billboard for "The wonderful world of DiC" and giggle at how oxymoronic it is

it could be the broom my psych prof just shoved up my butt. i mean seriously - venlafaxine vs. duloxetine? chlorpromine vs. prochlorperamine? i need an ergotamine.

This sounds familiar - you're a 2nd year at Jeff, right? I HATED that question where there was a long paragraph describing the patient's presenting symptoms so I wasted time trying to decide on a diagnosis...only to read the last 2 sentences: "The diagnosis is migraine with aura. How do you treat migraine with aura?" Arrgggghhhh.

You know you're in med school when you've blinded all of your family members after trying to find their optic discs.

ugh!! dont destroy this thread with all that bad spanish please...
moving on...

...when you think about the pudendal nerve while having sex!

....when vacuuming your apt. becomes one of your hobbies you look forward to during your study breaks....:laugh:

ugh!! dont destroy this thread with all that bad spanish please...
moving on...

...when you think about the pudendal nerve while having sex!

Fun-ny!!--Moving on!

When your relatives or friends get sick and tired of you talking about their decreased longevity due to there favorite food . Which happens to be high in either cholestrerol, fat or sugar or high in all three!
And you show them the labeling information!

The 2 weeks preceding every exam are defined by an increasingly messy apartment, an escalating sense of panic that you will NEVER learn it all in time, and entire weekends spent at the local Starbucks, where the baristas all know your name.

You've ever gotten up in the morning and thought, "what's the point of showering or putting on nice clothes? I'm just going to smell like cadaver again in an hour anyway."

You spend more money on coffee than food.

You routinely discuss anatomy dissection over meals, and even compare the texture of your food to different tissues.

You've ever heard a classmate say, "Girls with power tools are hot" after watching someone bisect a cadaver's head.

You grope yourself in public while muttering, all in an attempt to learn anatomy. Bonus points if you wave your limbs around to think through muscle movements.

You know how to get a free lunch every day of the week.

You don't see what's odd about naming a dead woman, talking to her while you hack her to bits, and working her name into daily conversation as though she were an actual living acquaintance.

Your normal friends and family don't like talking to you anymore because everything you say is "gross."

when you are at the club and all you can think of is "man this is EXACTLY like the fluid mosaic model"

1st year all nighter study drink: pepsi

2nd year all nighter study drink: pepsi

3rd year all nighter study drink: pepsi

4th year: osteoporosis therapy

When YOU, the first year, start to get unusually nervous for the fourth years during the days approaching Match Day...as if it was your own life hanging in the balance.

When the only beverage available in the cafeteria at any time is Coffee, and nobody complains

When paople around you begin to wonder why are you laughing out loud while reading this thread

When everybody in your dorm is awake at 4am, or hasn't slept.

You meake all your classmates read this thread

when you read about trans fat rancidification and get so thouroughly grossed out that you put the book down to inspect the label on everything in your kitchen and promptly throw away any offending food products, fastforeward a few hours to your SO coming home and expressing puzzlement as to why they can't find something in the cabinet they swore they had . . .:oops:

The 2 weeks preceding every exam are defined by an increasingly messy apartment, an escalating sense of panic that you will NEVER learn it all in time, and entire weekends spent at the local Starbucks, where the baristas all know your name.
My room actually gets somewhat cleaner during during the two weeks before exams. Weird, I know. I guess I feel the need to find all the handouts that I neglected and don't feel like reprinting...

when you read about trans fat rancidification and get so thouroughly grossed out that you put the book down to inspect the label on everything in your kitchen and promptly throw away any offending food products, fastforeward a few hours to your SO coming home and expressing puzzlement as to why they can't find something in the cabinet they swore they had . . .:oops:

Haha, yep!
Also... when you get frustrated looking for juice mixers for alcohol that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup...

When eating while studying becomes a natural habit.

When you don't enjoy food anymore and eating is just another time wasting activity that has to be done.

When you start to mark important stuff in your books preparing for next day's anatomy class, and find out you have marked practically everything but "and", "or" and "however".

When the toilet is just another chair to use when you study whilst nature is calling.

When you wonder why your books aren't made of plastic so you can take them into the shower.

When most of your classmates doesn't exist anymore because you don't notice them.

When eating while studying becomes a natural habit.

When you don't enjoy food anymore and eating is just another time wasting activity that has to be done.

When you start to mark important stuff in your books preparing for next day's anatomy class, and find out you have marked practically everything but "and", "or" and "however".

When the toilet is just another chair to use when you study whilst nature is calling.

When you wonder why your books aren't made of plastic so you can take them into the shower.

When most of your classmates doesn't exist anymore because you don't notice them.

These are so true! (I actually wonder why the books aren't coated with a thin layer plastic).

When you sit on SDN when you're fully aware of the fact that you have to study for your next exam instead. Sigh.

You save time by brushing your teeth in the shower (if you shower) :D

I'm sorry to break up the train but... is this gross? I've been doing this since I was 6 and my mom taught me to... my roommate once suggested it was strange but I ignored her... was she right?

I'm sorry to break up the train but... is this gross? I've been doing this since I was 6 and my mom taught me to... my roommate once suggested it was strange but I ignored her... was she right?

Well the shower is basically a bacterial aerosol, so you're putting that stuff in your mouth, but I'm sure one could argue that the whole bathroom is like that...

I've never done this but a lot of people do it so its definitely not unique to you.

This one is for the girls:

When someone sees you out in public studying somewhere...
and they ask if you are going to be a nurse...

...and you seriously think about decking them :smuggrin:

This one is for the girls:

When someone sees you out in public studying somewhere...
and they ask if you are going to be a nurse...

...and you seriously think about decking them :smuggrin:

i was with my surgical intern (a woman) at the trauma center a couple of weeks ago and some guy came up to her and was like, "nurse, the patient in the corner is asking for more blankets", and then walked away. she stopped in the middle of suturing this patient, got up, and went after the guy and was like, "then maybe you should find one." :laugh: :smuggrin: