You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know you're in med school when you think knowing the human anatomy is a super power.

hahah so funny, i just read the first page and i feel identified, i do all those things, here goes mine:

- When you hear something you don't remember (Etiologic agent, symptoms, cause) and you can't wait to go google it, search in harrison, robbins or whatever to find out the answer.

- When you wish you don't have to sleep, so you can finish studying.

- When your desk is full of coffee or tea cups.

- When you read investigation articles, even when they don't ask you to do so in the School.

- When you're stressed because of school, and you pick an episode of House or Grey's anatomy to relax a little bit and forget all the things you need to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
My free/break time from studying consists of CME questions on medscape and talking about med school on here. I highly doubt my friends in other graduate schools do the same thing.

- When you wish you don't have to sleep, so you can finish studying.

On a similar note,

-when you're unconscious uses sleep time to continue studying. i.e. having dreams that involved studying a subject.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've woken up in the middle of the night because I was dreaming about anatomy or biochem and I woke up because my brain wasn't sure if what I was "studying" was correct. :rolleyes:

I couldn't tell you how many times I've woken up in the middle of the night because I was dreaming about anatomy or biochem and I woke up because my brain wasn't sure if what I was "studying" was correct. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that happens to me too.
I wake up and there comes all the information...
i think it's good in some way, it must be related to the REM sleep, and saving of information. I kind of like it, it tells me the information is somewhere in my head heheh

When you start a thread titled "You know you are in med school when", instead of studying.

you know, these used to be funny. lately, they are just plain sad.

you find yourself memorizing pieces of information in newspaper articles, because that's how you read now.

nothing like cadaver in the morning.

..when you not only understand why being in anatomy lab makes you hungry, but you also don't see anything wrong with leaving lab and thinking about what you're going to eat for lunch.

When you're attending tells you to wear scrubs because "poop flies around here" and in your head you think "yay, no ironing for me, thats 5 minutes of sleep gained!" rather than "ewww flying poop".

Members don't see this ad :)
tl;dr past page 3-ish, but will eventually catch up

probably posted already in some form:

- you eat for sustenance and not because you enjoy what you're eating

- addendum: as the result, you can stand the [what was originally thought to be] horribly bad (though cheap) hospital food that they serve next door at the medical campus

- addendum #2: for lunch and dinner

- addendum #3: since you have given up trying to cook at home so you have more time to study

- addendum #4: and when you do cook again, you realize (or think) that you used to cook really tasty meals years ago... that aren't so tasty anymore.

- addendum #5: which makes you also realize how unhealthily you eat now

Last edited:
You don't like using Word to type notes with because it never recognizes any of the terms you type and you have to constantly "Add to dictionary."

when your biochem lecturer swiftly utters the phrase:

"Protein Kinase-A phosphorylates Phosphorylase Kinase which phosphorylates Phosphorylase which phosphorolyses glycogen"

And doesn't even pause for you to comprehend what the hell just happened.

You get diagnosed with MDD and get put on meds. Passive suicidal tendencies are also pathognomonic

"Protein Kinase-A phosphorylates Phosphorylase Kinase which phosphorylates Phosphorylase which phosphorolyses glycogen"

what's worse is that i knew what you were saying and looked it up in my notes to check if glycogen phosphorylase gave rise to glu-1-P or glu-6-P...

and to the poster earlier who replied to me, these are original and true...and oh so sad...

It's easier to follow along when you've already got it annotated as "PKA -> GPK -> GP -> glycogen" in your notes somewhere. Pre-reading helps a ton with trying to understand what the h is going on in lecture.

On a similar note,

-when you're unconscious uses sleep time to continue studying. i.e. having dreams that involved studying a subject.

When you wake up with a better understanding of the subject than when you went to sleep.
:laugh:

when the funniest thing you have read in a book in long time is why poop had a brown color.... (Heme)

When you watch TV shows at 2X speed because podcasting lectures at double speed has trained your ears.

When you alternate weeks with "man, I got this, what was I worried about" with "OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO FAIL EVERYTHING AND LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"

...I never learn.

you have to think for a second to remember what month it is. figuring out the date requires math skills.

When you put off having a very painful wisdom tooth removed because it's the week of an exam and you can't afford to take time off from studying.

When you accidentally type in 'lumbar puncture' on pandora

......all your friends are medical students, your dating a medical student, you probably live with medical students

..... find out you find it difficult to hold a conversation with a normal person without involving medicine into it

You start making "you know you are" posts about med school.

your 11 yr old daughter knows what a cadaver is and can identify a liver in your rohen's :scared:

...working M-F 8:30-17:00 with one weekend day of home-call feels like vacation.

... When you're low on underwear and decide that instead of going out to buy more, you'd save time by just washing a few by hand (on the sink) and letting them hang to dry.

this thread is terrifying, I'm withdrawing my apps

Haha I actually have lots of free time. It's just that I had a few things on the agenda on that particular day when there was an acute shortage of undies, so I figured I'll do that shortcut.

...when a girl says she's going to "PROM" and you think this requires a trip to L&D...stat.

...getting up at 7 is an extra 3 hours of sleep.
...you regularly and shamelessly fondle old men's balls.
...discover just how much isometric exercise can suck.
...rejoice when your work day only lasts 11 hours.
...consider 20 minutes a fairly long lunch break.
...can't ever relate to anyone outside of medicine.
...can recite obscure facts without much problem but can't interview or treat a patient to save either of your lives.
...develop the ability to convince yourself that even the most mind-numbing, pointless, excruciating tasks are enjoyable.
...cutting genitals is among your typical daily activities.

...getting up at 7 is an extra 3 hours of sleep.
...you regularly and shamelessly fondle old men's balls.
...cutting genitals is among your typical daily activities.

Which comes first. The fondling or the cutting? I'd prefer my fondling post-cut.

I think this post is super lame and annoying. seriously go have a beer

You know you're in med school when you've just read all 17 pages of this thread and you don't know whether to laugh or cry because you've experienced most of the above

On a similar note,

Oh man, I've had so many instances of this during anatomy. I vividly remember tracing the pathways of arterial branching in the face as I fell asleep.

Oh man, I've had so many instances of this during anatomy. I vividly remember tracing the pathways of arterial branching in the face as I fell asleep.

Dreams feel pretty real sometimes. I wonder how bizarre it would feel if you had a dream that a basilar stroke caused locked-in syndrome. Kinda gives you the chills.

You know you're in med school when you're so busy studying, that a fire drill in the dorms is your main social interaction for the day.

When you're scared to fall asleep in lecture because you might jolt awake and kick the chair in front of you like last time.......

...the class average on an exam is the lowest possible passing score.

when you can eat a sandwich with one hand and dissect a cadaver with the other, and watching surgery make you really really hungry.

I once witnessed an OB/GYN resident check the cervix of a woman in labor with his right hand while holding his sandwich in his left hand. He seemed to think nothing of it. The patient's husband was laughing about it. (Pt not so pleased)

When you ask someone, "what are you on right now??", they reply "pediatrics", and neither of you think it was a weird question to ask.

You know you're in med school when you're so busy studying, that a fire drill in the dorms is your main social interaction for the day.

On a related note: When you ignore the false (or not) fire alarm entirely and walk into what could be a flaming building because you have some serious work to do want to make sure you get your favorite study nook (which at this point could very well be engulfed in flames)

Last edited: