You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...you come home with a skull in a box, and it's perfectly legal.

And you take pictures of the skull and a pet cat in preparation for Halloween.

Members don't see this ad.

And you take pictures of the skull and a pet cat in preparation for Halloween.

You have the skull on your shelf, give him/her a name, and feel that you're being watched :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You email a video of a cadaver dissection to your family because you honestly think they might be interested (apparently they are not).

Where can I get one of these videos for my husband for Christmas? (J/K of course - but I'm sure it'd be cherished by him!) My daughter is an M1 - he asks her continuous questions about cadaver dissection etc. Last time we went to visit her he made her get permission to tour the cadaver lab......

Where can I get one of these videos for my husband for Christmas? (J/K of course - but I'm sure it'd be cherished by him!) My daughter is an M1 - he asks her continuous questions about cadaver dissection etc. Last time we went to visit her he made her get permission to tour the cadaver lab......

Well, you can view free dissections online here: http://www.anatomy.wisc.edu/courses/gross/index.html

There are also several videos that you can buy on DVD. Just google search.

I told my parents they are not allowed to ask me about school, or studying, or anything related to medicine when I talk to them. All I want to do when I talk to people other than medical students is the GET AWAY from the med school world for a few minutes. I told them that if I want to talk about it, I will bring it up. :cool:

When you wake up in the morning and think, wow I'm hungry, all my enzymes must be phosphorylated after that overnight fast.

I told my parents they are not allowed to ask me about school, or studying, or anything related to medicine when I talk to them. All I want to do when I talk to people other than medical students is the GET AWAY from the med school world for a few minutes. I told them that if I want to talk about it, I will bring it up. :cool:

I wish that worked for me. I'd really like to talk to people about non-medical stuff. I went to visit my parents while they were visiting family friends. My dad, orthopaedist, and our friend, a general surgeon, kept asking me about med school, rotations, etc. I've been surrounded by this my whole life. When I go home on breaks, I used to work at the hospital, so I have to go visit people there. I can't get away from it even if I try.

... you find yourself turning left at a red light... repeatedly.

You sit through the diet and nutrition lecture about how everything you eat is going to make you morbidly obese and no amount of exercise is ever enough to stave off the coronary artery disease that looms in the distance...

...then you stay for the free pizza and noon conference in the very same room immediately after.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Where's your paper towels?"

"Cabinet superior to the stove."

when your classmates' facebook (fluff)friends are called "Cuboydol" and "Spinous process"

You "superior five" your labmates when you find a difficult structure.

The fact that I threw the word "pubis" around in gross lab about 20 times today was utterly acceptable.

You've been so tired that you wanted to cry

You look at your schedule and realize that you don't even have time for a nap for the next week

You come home after an exam and you realize you have no food, no clean clothes, a pile of dirty dishes, and about a million pages of notes that you will never look at again.

Or you skip out on the post-exam celebration b/c you are too tired and you have lecture the next day at 8am anyway. :sleep:

when you don't bother to clean the coffee cup from the day before--thinking...what can grow in caffeine anyway?

i do give it a quick rinse, though...for lint and dust

It's been a while since I've cruised SDN, but this thread is very reassuring. I guess I''m not the only one who finds himself barely keeping his head above water. Good luck to all!

when you don't bother to clean the coffee cup from the day before--thinking...what can grow in caffeine anyway?

i do give it a quick rinse, though...for lint and dust

:laugh: Stuff can grow in it, I promise. I left a half a cup of coffee in my thermal mug and left it on my desk at school for a week. I was just going to dump and rinse and poor a new cup of coffee, when I realized the whole container was flooded with fungus. Mmmmmm yummy. Although it was more likely growing off of the creamer in the coffee than the caffeine.

This isn't interesting or funny, but you know you're in med school when you are always, always, always behind and no matter how much time you study, you can never catch up (and while getting ahead sounds nice, it is a mere wet dream). Another wet dream would be when the deans of your college are telling you that you're in the top 5% of your class. I was just a little bitter to wake up from that one...

...when you browse SDN and read random forums that have nothing to do with your life just to avoid studying anatomy.

...actually, when you can eat lunch and watch dissection videos simultaneously and nonchalantly. :cool:

...when you browse SDN and read random forums that have nothing to do with your life just to avoid studying anatomy.

...actually, when you can eat lunch and watch dissection videos simultaneously and nonchalantly. :cool:

actually, since finishing anatomy my meals have not been the same... sometimes i pull up an anatomy video to go with lunch. j/k

This one's a little weird, but I haven't been able to eat ham since gross lab started. I was eating it one day 10 min. after lab and the taste reminded me of the way the body smelled. Like not the chemical smell but the smell that the chemicals are covering up, that you get a whiff of sometimes when you have your face all up in the body. Haven't eaten ham since then.

This one's a little weird, but I haven't been able to eat ham since gross lab started. I was eating it one day 10 min. after lab and the taste reminded me of the way the body smelled. Like not the chemical smell but the smell that the chemicals are covering up, that you get a whiff of sometimes when you have your face all up in the body. Haven't eaten ham since then.

i was making a sandwich one day and pulled out the turkey from my frig. it wasn't bad yet, but after taking a whiff, i was about to barf. So now, my sandwiches do NOT have any meat. the chemical smell on most sandwich meat makes me sick. i need to get me some "non-sandwich meat" meat.

You know you're in med school when instead of feeling "happy" or "sad" or "tired", you start to say things like, "I feel really hypoglycaemic"...

omg are you ME? :laugh: the first one is exactly what im doing right now as a matter of fact.. I hate the cranial nerves! :(

We had a trauma talk the other day and I was eating a chicken salad sandwitch while the doc had pictures of stop sign posts going through this guy's thigh and another pic of a guy who tried to commit suicide by blowing his face off. really graphic pictures, and all i was thinking was, wow ill bet that guy didn't make it, and man, this is a good sammich. :D

We had a trauma talk the other day and I was eating a chicken salad sandwitch while the doc had pictures of stop sign posts going through this guy's thigh and another pic of a guy who tried to commit suicide by blowing his face off. really graphic pictures, and all i was thinking was, wow ill bet that guy didn't make it, and man, this is a good sammich. :D

This made me laugh so much. :D

I know I'm in med school because there is a foot on top of my printer right now and a ziploc bag full of ribs in my bookcase and I sort of wish I had my own cadaver lab in the living room so I wouldn't have to go all the way to school to review the muscles of the leg.

Anyone experienced this yet?:

You skip most classes because of whatever reason (color of the sky didn't look so great that day), cram about 12 hours before the exam, and hit right around the class average (+/-3 to 5%).

You decide to buckle down and work like heck, go to every lecture, stay up late and study study study, can recite every mechanism of every drug and know which disorder to apply it to and when... and you take the exam and... woah... right on the class average again. (+/- 3 to 5%)
:laugh:

You skip most classes because of whatever reason (color of the sky didn't look so great that day), cram about 12 hours before the exam, and hit right around the class average (+/-3 to 5%).

You decide to buckle down and work like heck, go to every lecture, stay up late and study study study, can recite every mechanism of every drug and know which disorder to apply it to and when... and you take the exam and... woah... right on the class average again. (+/- 3 to 5%)

I thought that was just me. That really doesn't help me to stay motivated.

YUP. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one :)

I thought that was just me. That really doesn't help me to stay motivated.

It's hard to justify if you're only focusing on the instant gratification-type result... the grade, the distribution. My issue is that our school does the F/P/HP/H thing to "curb the competitiveness" of students but that just makes the gunners and good test takers maniacal-- MUST... GET... H! And we have enough of them to know that the level for H is usually 95+. And there's another chunk that's large enough to keep HP between 91 or 92 and 95 in most courses. So, you can kill yourself and get an 89 or 90, or take extra time to do outside things that you enjoy and get a 75-80 and still get a "P" on the transcript.

But I really try to keep my eye on the ball-- I'm learning as much as I can to be the most benefit to my future patients. I'm trying to enjoy as much of what we're learning as possible (must say, it's tough to "enjoy" learning the minutia of pharm, especially when I know very few docs that don't look things up unless they use them regularly). It's really tough to try and ignore the scramble over numbers (at least 50% of my classmates are always scrambling for them!) and also ignore the blow to your ego when you feel you really know the material and still... get... a P. Argh!:rolleyes:

It's hard to justify if you're only focusing on the instant gratification-type result... the grade, the distribution. My issue is that our school does the F/P/HP/H thing to "curb the competitiveness" of students but that just makes the gunners and good test takers maniacal-- MUST... GET... H! And we have enough of them to know that the level for H is usually 95+. And there's another chunk that's large enough to keep HP between 91 or 92 and 95 in most courses. So, you can kill yourself and get an 89 or 90, or take extra time to do outside things that you enjoy and get a 75-80 and still get a "P" on the transcript.

But I really try to keep my eye on the ball-- I'm learning as much as I can to be the most benefit to my future patients. I'm trying to enjoy as much of what we're learning as possible (must say, it's tough to "enjoy" learning the minutia of pharm, especially when I know very few docs that don't look things up unless they use them regularly). It's really tough to try and ignore the scramble over numbers (at least 50% of my classmates are always scrambling for them!) and also ignore the blow to your ego when you feel you really know the material and still... get... a P. Argh!:rolleyes:

That's not the issue for me. I don't mind getting the P so much as getting the same percentage score. Since I procrastinate in my studying most of the time, getting a higher percentage score would give me motivation to not fall behind. I'm still working on finding a way to study that works for me.

I agree with you about keeping your eye on the ball. I just make sure that I'm learning enough to understand because we can always look up the details when we need them. Whether you get P's or H's all through med school doesn't determine what kind of physician you'll be. In fact, the student with P's might be better since they kept their eyes on the big picture. Good luck with things at your school.:)

omg i love you guys.. im so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! :laugh: We have grades at my school so basically, the people who can memorize the most anatomy get an A, while the rest of us just try to pass the class. :oops:

When you have no time to attend the "Time-management workshop"!!!

When you haven't payed attention to your apartment in so long, you one day realize that there are dead leaves in it.

(true story)

You've been so tired that you wanted to cry

You look at your schedule and realize that you don't even have time for a nap for the next week

Oh my goodness!!! I am so glad to see that it's not just me!!! We did a hemisectomy yesterday and I came home and barely made it because I cried all they way home. I took a nap because I was too tired to do anything else (even eat). Then I had to wake up and study for an exam!!!! It never ends!!!!

I second the too much work making you want to cry motif of the last few posts. I've officially thrown in the towel (amid the piles of books) and just don't feel like doing anything else today...

Was eating some roasted chicken a few days ago...stabbed myself with one of the smaller leg bones and commented - "Damn chicken fibula..." I'm tired of being able to recognize the various parts of the animals I eat..

I second the too much work making you want to cry motif of the last few posts. I've officially thrown in the towel (amid the piles of books) and just don't feel like doing anything else today...

Was eating some roasted chicken a few days ago...stabbed myself with one of the smaller leg bones and commented - "Damn chicken fibula..." I'm tired of being able to recognize the various parts of the animals I eat..

You are not tired enough until the animal parts you eat start looking like parts of the body you dissected in anatomy :barf::hungover:

You are not tired enough until the animal parts you eat start looking like parts of the body you dissected in anatomy :barf::hungover:

Which is when you stop eating the parts of the body that you dissected in anatomy.

You know you're in med school when you want to break your f***ing lap top because you accidently cleared out the screen after typing your reply.... and you're too damn lazy to repost it.

When you come across mechanisms that are "not yet known" in your studying and are grateful that no one has figured it out yet.

you inquire about the freshness of the fried rice at your favorite chinese fast-food grease pit (wishing to avoid an encounter w/ B. cereus)... it was made fresh just a few days ago, you say? darn.

the thought, sight, or smell of anything 'caseous' now makes you want to :barf: after looking at all the path gross and histological sections of patients' lungs following chonic/miliary Tb...

upon coughing up phlegm/ mucus of an interesting color, you're excited that you know what caused it based on the consistency & hue.

When you wake up from a bad position and your neck hurts, and complain that your sternocleidomastoid is giving you a problem.

:scared:

...you are on overnight call and you keep paging yourself to make sure your pager actually works!