You know you're a total premed when

SoccerRef14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one of these in a while. Lets share all the funny things that us future docs do that make us unique and annoy the crap out of others!

Members don't see this ad.

You know you're a total pre-med when you're a high school junior telling people about which specialty you are going to do in 7+ years :laugh:

Last edited:
You know you're a total pre-med when you're a high school junior telling people about which specialty you are going to do in 7+ years :laugh:

Oh that is definitely me! Trauma surgery, emergency medicine, or forensic psychiatry. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
surgery is a suckers job.

I'm interested in derm and surgery.

@sonofva, why do you say that?

...when you instantly look down on someone who wants to become a nurse

...when you instantly look down on someone who wants to become a nurse

this is rediculous...i used to be a nurse, and it was awesome...now i'm an M3 and things are different...nurses will save your butt over and over and over...it will happen in ways that are too many to be listed...be nice to your nurses.

horor stories you hear about nurses being mean are usually the nurse retaliating to the student acting like a golden god...

in response to other questions, surgery is a sucker's job because the pay is too low, the stress is too high, and the hours are too long..most surgeons i talk to state that they are unsatisfied w/in 5 years of independent practice... wanted to be a surgeon when i was a premed....now i'm thinking pediatrics. moral of the story, just keep your eyes open

this is rediculous...i used to be a nurse, and it was awesome...now i'm an M3 and things are different...nurses will save your butt over and over and over...it will happen in ways that are too many to be listed...be nice to your nurses.

horor stories you hear about nurses being mean are usually the nurse retaliating to the student acting like a golden god...

in response to other questions, surgery is a sucker's job because the pay is too low, the stress is too high, and the hours are too long..most surgeons i talk to state that they are unsatisfied w/in 5 years of independent practice... wanted to be a surgeon when i was a premed....now i'm thinking pediatrics. moral of the story, just keep your eyes open

:thumbup:

Oh pre-meds ;)

...when you join honor/scientific/medically-related societies and major in Bioengineering/three majors because they "look good"

...when you've always wanted to help people (it was your "calling")

...when you're not exactly sure why you want to be a medical doctor (as opposed to another career) but definitely sure that you'll become one

...when you've already decided to one day have a polygamous relationship (with your spouse and career)

...when you plan to marry someone as rich as you'll be OR to get a pre-nupt

...when you study before medical school begins

...when you'd never turn down an acceptance from Harvard or Johns Hopkins

...when time is excruciatingly much more valuable than money

I'll add more mean stereotypes when I get to it.

Last edited:
When you're a junior in high school and you find yourself reading your parents college textbooks because you "want a head-start"...

When you are already thinking about things like residency competitiveness and you haven't even started undergraduate school...

When you are planning your AP classes around the premed reqs (not taking AP bio, physics, chem, etc. because you know you will have to take them again anyway)...

When you meet someone new the word "medicine" usually pops up within the first few sentences...

When you check SDN after getting home from school... or you check it in school... :naughty:

When you are already thinking about getting married to another healthcare professional. (Probs a nurse for me. Maybe another doc.) lol

(I'm guilty of many of these things btw)

Just to hop on the nurse discussion:
I think in many cases nurses are probably even more nice than docs. Obviously it's a case by case basis, but that's the general feel I get. Nurses spend a lot of time with patients. Being a mean nurse would be kinda difficult.

Last edited:
When you're a junior in high school and you find yourself

When you check SDN after getting home from school... or you check it in school... :naughty:

Same here :laugh:

p.s. I get excited every time there's a question in AP Statistics related to medicine. :cool:

When you're a junior in high school and you find yourself reading your parents college textbooks because you "want a head-start"...

When you are already thinking about things like residency competitiveness and you haven't even started undergraduate school...

When you are planning your AP classes around the premed reqs (not taking AP bio, physics, chem, etc. because you know you will have to take them again anyway)...

When you meet someone new the word "medicine" usually pops up within the first few sentences...

When you are already thinking about getting married to another healthcare professional. (Probs a nurse for me. Maybe another doc.) lol

I think in many cases nurses are probably even more nice than docs. Obviously it's a case by case basis, but that's the general feel I get. Nurses spend a lot of time with patients. Being a mean nurse would be kinda difficult.

I am guilty of all these things too.

O_O

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally Posted by nysegop

When you check SDN after getting home from school... or you check it in school...

Same here....I am guilty of all of the above :oops:

Totally random...but have any of you read The Scut Monkey Comics?

http://scutmonkeycomics.blogspot.ca/

it kinda reminded me of this thread...

oh and the med student one:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-90522.html

:)

Oh pre-meds ;)

...when you join honor/scientific/medically-related societies and major in Bioengineering/three majors because they "look good"

...when you've always wanted to help people (it was your "calling")

...when you're not exactly sure why you want to be a medical doctor (as opposed to another career) but definitely sure that you'll become one

...when you've already decided to one day have a polygamous relationship (with your spouse and career)

...when you plan to marry someone as rich as you'll be OR to get a pre-nupt

...when you'd never turn down an acceptance from Harvard or Johns Hopkins

YES.
~Add in
...whenever you cringe when someone else is talking about medicine and completely get something wrong.

High-schooler here checking in.

When you make this thread.

frabz-well-done-young-man-98da4e.jpg

When you spot someone that wants to become a doctor but they don't even know what the MCAT or USMLE is.

High school pre-meds are worse than college pre-meds on this lol. The college application process weeds out some of the pre-meds.

But I took a medical science class in high school and when we memorized the parts of the heart people started thinking they were going to be the next greatest cardiologist

When you spot someone that wants to become a doctor but they don't even know what the MCAT or USMLE is.

Or people who think that being a science major is the only way to get into medical school.

Lol the other day I met a guy that taught when you enter a medical school , you are selected for residency too. Seriously people do some research on your future career before talking crap and trying to increase your ego in front of other people .

You know you're a high school premed when you're more concerned about the MCAT than the SAT.

when senioritis doesn't hit because you know this is just the beginning

When you're a 17 year old girl and you'd rather shadow in the emergency room than go to the mall...

When you get on SDN every morning and night.

Oh pre-meds ;)

I don't get these two. Both are good attributes in Pre-Meds.

You know you're a high school premed when you're more concerned about the MCAT than the SAT.

Hahahahaha

When you're a 17 year old girl and you'd rather shadow in the emergency room than go to the mall...

I'm not a 17 year old girl, but I'd rather shadow in the ER than do anything else.

When you spend your free time reading Lippincott's Pharmacology.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Haha, this one is so true! I've looked at more MCAT and USMLE books than SAT.

Also
You know you're a highschool premed when you've already started reading step one.

I'm bringing this thread back to life because I think it's so funny. But when your relationships never work because you're so driven and no one wants to be with the girl who thinks the perfect date is grabbing lunch in the hospital cafeteria and running back to shadow.

I'm bringing this thread back to life because I think it's so funny. But when your relationships never work because you're so driven and no one wants to be with the girl who thinks the perfect date is grabbing lunch in the hospital cafeteria and running back to shadow.

So many times when people break up with me it's because "You weren't invested" or "You're too busy" or "You never have time for me".

Story of my personal life.

So many times when people break up with me it's because "You weren't invested" or "You're too busy" or "You never have time for me".

Story of my personal life.

Haha I'm with you. Oddly enough guys don't like girls that only have time for them about 50% of the time.

When you spend more time on SDN than you do actually studying...

@SteinmetzMD I just recently joined SDN and this is already true.

Solution: Date other pre-meds

Ayyyyyyy

Oh my god I wish I had a premed girlfriend. We could totes go on shadowing dates.

When you're reading a neuroscience textbook instead of studying for that contemporary affairs test.

You know when your a pre-med when you watch surgeries on Youtube during your free-time (I'm guilty of doing this)

You know when your a pre-med when you watch surgeries on Youtube during your free-time (I'm guilty of doing this)
Done this. ORlive is much better than youtube though.

.. all your pre-med friends only laugh at jokes involving medicine.