You Know What Really Burns Me Up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odublar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When someone gives tells you "If you can get in"

Now let me be honest, the doctor was very nice. Although, he was depressing. I think overall he helped me out by pumping me up.

First, I was given his number to talk about the specifics of pre-pharmacy to there being no program at my CC. Okay, but he told me that I'd have to take OChem at the university. I can take it at the CC, but I realize he can't know everything about the curriculum at every single CC.

I realize it is really hard to get into COP, but I should mention he knew nothing about my situation so his advice was good but no what I'd expect. I'm just gonna go through the COP's that I plan on applying to and mentioning my goal through my CC and UNCW.

All in all it burns me up that this was the conversation :

"Yeah, I just want to get things situated so I can apply for a College of Pharmacy"

"Well, just work on what you are working on whether it is a Major in Biology or what not"

"I'm gonna focus on working on the pre-req's for the COP. So I can apply to the one's I'm interested in."

"..But if you cannot get in, you know, you should think about what else you can do."

"Yeah, if i can't get in the first time I apply, I'll continue working on my degree and apply the next year."

"Well, after a couple of times you should realize it's not for you and you won't get in."

Damn. I mean a 3 minute phone call and this is paraphrased but pretty much was the conversation.

He should be a motivational speaker. He was kind but I think I want to prove to myself that I can do this. I've been looking into this for a while now and I really think I will enjoy it.

Anyways, thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyways, thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

IF this is someone who is deeply involved in admissions processes, or someone who has a long history of helping students get into advanced health professions schools, then you should give his words serious consideration. Chances are he's been there, done that, seen it all, and he's got a pretty good handle on who is a good candidate for professional school and who isn't.

On the other hand, it's possible this person doesn't know what he's talking about, in which case you now have a personal (very personal) mission to disprove his words. If nothing else.... he doesn't know you. ;-)

I wish you luck.

Thank you Eelo.

I found the bio of the doctor and he has a B.S. in Biology. He is not a Pharmacist and does not run a pre-pharmacy program at UNCW. He serves as as an undergraduate coordinator.

Anyways, like I said, he was nice. After reading his Bio, I think he was just giving me advice knowing that Pharmacy School is tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
When my supervisor found out I was applying to only 3 schools she told me to apply to more because it's difficult to get in nowadays. True but...she also told me to apply to "easier" schools. The message I got was that I was applying to schools that are out of my league. But she didn't know me, she didn't know my grades, pcat scores, ECs, etc. I didn't listen to her and I'm glad I didn't because I would have wasted hundreds of dollars. I have not told her yet that I got in to my first choice. I want to tell her personally so I can watch her jaw drop.:eek:

What I'm trying to say is..you'll meet naysayers all the time and it's up to you to prove them right or wrong.

I usually try to listen to what people are saying (if I consider them a reputable source), but at the same time take it with a grain of salt. He probably wasn't trying to be Danny Downer, but just wanted you to think about having a contingency plan (as we all should). Pharmacy admisssions have been getting more competitive in the last few years...maybe he has seen students get rejected multiple times and not know what to do with their lives after that?

in my opinion, getting in was the hard part. I mean, I know i can handle the school work, but it's just a matter of getting into a school, any school, that will give you that chance. I understand what he was saying though, the applicant pool is so saturated that even if you have a decent gpa, it's still hard to compete among everyone else w/ the same gpa.
for example, a school like UOP has spots for like 120 people or so(maybe 180, i forget) but the number of applicants they receive is well over 1000, or over 1200. so there are tons of people who are qualified, but so few seats to fight over.

so don't take it personally when someone says 'if you can get in', it's just the harsh reality. so.... good luck and keep at it.
cheers

When my supervisor found out I was applying to only 3 schools she told me to apply to more because it's difficult to get in nowadays. True but...she also told me to apply to "easier" schools. The message I got was that I was applying to schools that are out of my league. But she didn't know me, she didn't know my grades, pcat scores, ECs, etc. I didn't listen to her and I'm glad I didn't because I would have wasted hundreds of dollars. I have not told her yet that I got in to my first choice. I want to tell her personally so I can watch her jaw drop.:eek:

What I'm trying to say is..you'll meet naysayers all the time and it's up to you to prove them right or wrong.

The same thing happened to me too. When I told the Pharmacist(where I volunteer) that I applying to Pharmacy school. He kept telling me pharmacy is very difficult profession........very expensive....etc. But truly he didn't know me( my gpa, pcat scores, my other credentials). I felt a little disappointed.......but I really got pissed off when he came back to me again and asked me if I was doing for the money. He kept advising me not to apply now and just to think over my decision again.
I never again talked to him about my pharmacy admission experience.

.......but I really got pissed off when he came back to me again and asked me if I was doing for the money.

:laugh: Wow.. that's all I can say... you'd think a pharmacist who's been through it all before would know enough to not say something like that. Maybe that's his subconcious telling you that's why he did it. I'd be real pissed if someone said that to me...

:laugh: Wow.. that's all I can say... you'd think a pharmacist who's been through it all before would know enough to not say something like that. Maybe that's his subconcious telling you that's why he did it. I'd be real pissed if someone said that to me...

well said lol :)

When someone gives tells you "If you can get in"

Now let me be honest, the doctor was very nice. Although, he was depressing. I think overall he helped me out by pumping me up.

First, I was given his number to talk about the specifics of pre-pharmacy to there being no program at my CC. Okay, but he told me that I'd have to take OChem at the university. I can take it at the CC, but I realize he can't know everything about the curriculum at every single CC.

I realize it is really hard to get into COP, but I should mention he knew nothing about my situation so his advice was good but no what I'd expect. I'm just gonna go through the COP's that I plan on applying to and mentioning my goal through my CC and UNCW.

All in all it burns me up that this was the conversation :

"Yeah, I just want to get things situated so I can apply for a College of Pharmacy"

"Well, just work on what you are working on whether it is a Major in Biology or what not"

"I'm gonna focus on working on the pre-req's for the COP. So I can apply to the one's I'm interested in."

"..But if you cannot get in, you know, you should think about what else you can do."

"Yeah, if i can't get in the first time I apply, I'll continue working on my degree and apply the next year."

"Well, after a couple of times you should realize it's not for you and you won't get in."

Damn. I mean a 3 minute phone call and this is paraphrased but pretty much was the conversation.

He should be a motivational speaker. He was kind but I think I want to prove to myself that I can do this. I've been looking into this for a while now and I really think I will enjoy it.

Anyways, thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

I've had similar experiences too and it's really sad but I think that's now the norm. My advice- chase your dreams. Don't waste more energy on this than you already have. Go to the university's (you are most interested in-in addition to back up schools you're considering) website and read all the available info on their COP. Look at their pre-req and the course equilvant classes at your CC. If you encounter difficulties, call or make an appointment with their admissions office and let them tell you what courses to take. Make a timeline and stick to it. You'll be fine; you can do it yourself. Good luck!!

Anyways, thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.[/quote]

You shouldn't even care what some counselor thinks, if you want motivational stories - this forum has plenty to get you inspired. You know what you are capable of, no one is holding ou back - go ahead and pursue your dreams.

Just think of all the people he has to talk to that try year after year and don't get in and consequently tread water academically and don't make any headway on a degree because they've taken physics 2 and orgo 1 three times each.

He approaches everyone as though they are that person so as to give the most useful and widely applicable advice possible.

I agree...as a prepharm it was aggravating....nobody seems to believe in you and everyone is only willing to talk about your backup plan...

It all depends upon the tone he took when he was telling you these things. Was he being sincere?
Every advisor I have spoken with has ALWAYS suggested having another way out. I actually switched from a BA in Chem to a BS in Chem at the discretion of my advisor in case I did not get into a pharmacy school (even though I have now been accepted into one).
I highly doubt he did not have confidence in you as a student, but I believe he was interested in safeguarding your future and ensuring that you had an additional plan in case something in your life goes awry.

if you have a good stats, write a excellent personal statement and apply early to schools all over the countries, you will get in somewhere.:D
don't let him bring you down.

This happened to me with the director of admissions at my first choice school. I emailed asking for a meeting and they sent me the requirements, saying their program is very selective and few get in. I met the requirements, so I emailed back asking for an interview. I got the same response. I emailed again saying I do meet the requirements and I'd like to talk to her personally, and she granted me a meeting. She started off saying the same thing, that only 3 people get in a year (its a 0+6 school so transferring in is hard) and it's really hard. I showed her my resume and then she finally was like, oh, you have a decent chance. But still, only 3 people get in out of 750 applicants, we don't want to discourage you but it's very difficult.

9 months later, I have been accepted there! Hearing all that just made me more determined and made me work harder. Take it as a challenge, not as discouragement.

Thanks again for all your words of encouragement. Again, the guy was nice and I understand where he is coming from but like many of you have said in response, I do hope he eats his words. In a nice way, even. :)