You have an interview where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to start a thread with posts from those of you who have had or will have interviews. Info like what school?, when?, your stats(optional)and anything else that might be helpful to those of us who are still waiting to hear.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated!!....

Members don't see this ad.

Brie,
I am really glad you started this topic. I have been feeling like I would never get any interviews, most of my friends are getting offers. I got my first invite today though -- South Fl.
=)

Congratulations, Kim. I'll be sure to participate in this thread when I actually get a decision, Brie.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had interviews at:
Vanderbilt, Columbia, MCG, Baylor, and Emory
I have Yale, Mayo, and UCLA scheduled.
I had interviews scheduled at Tulane, Georgetown, UVA, and USC before I got my first acceptance (Baylor), at which time I withdrew my applications from those schools.
Stats: 3.7GPA 37 MCAT, state school, good ec's, research, clinical experience
I hope this helps! Feel free to email me with any questions...
-THEMAN

word to the wise:

don't go posting your stats and acceptances on the web. i know full well that some adcom members like to go cruising around and perhaps uncover what the real story is with some applicants. if your e-mail gives your name away, you're risking it even further...

play it smart people...

[This message has been edited by dh (edited 11-06-1999).]

I don't quite understand where your coming from. What's wrong with giving the "real story?" Isn't that what we did when we applied to these schools? I see nothing wrong with posting stats! If the adcom members come on, so be it?????????

If anything that I just said would hurt my chances at a school, I don't want to go there anyway. Some premeds out here act like posting your stats is such a "no,no", well in my school, at my premed community, its not. When someone asks me to posts my stats so that they can gauge somewhat what the typical applicant/interviewee/acceptee for a school is like, why wouldn't I? I am not bragging, I am just trying to be helpful. If being helpful reveals some true aspect of my personality and an adcomm doesn't like it, then so be it...I'm not trying to put up some false front here, you know?

The Man..

When were your applications completed?

i didn't mean it was the posting stats that could be construed as negative. but when you post all the schools you've gotten interviews/acceptances from with your stats and an e-mail address revealing your last name, thereby revealing who you are, adcoms can KNOW all about your "real story." what i mean is, do you really want yale to find out you've been accepted to baylor and interviewed at all those other great places??? why should they bother with you when you've already been accepted/interviewed at so many high caliber schools?

these aren't words from a fool...like i've said in a previous post not on this thread, i'm an M4 on the adcom at a "Top 25" med school...I can honestly tell you, from experience, that you're taking a risk by posting all that information...

if people want to find out the TYPICAL applicant getting into these schools, they should view the stats given at http://www.usnews.com or even better, ask the schools themselves ...by the way, you're not the typical acceptance (3.7 GPA, 37 MCAT) at any school except maybe Wash. U...you're smart enough to know that...

yes, help people, but please for your own sake, be smart about it...

[This message has been edited by dh (edited 11-06-1999).]

dh, I think you are over-doing it with this being secretive to schools we've applied to. I doubt if alot of adcom's are spending their time on this site or any other one. I noticed that you didn't have your e-mail posted as alot of us have chosen not to do either. So what's the problem? Do you actually think an adcom would put in the time and effort it would take to track done these posts and compare them with their prospective students? Not too likely...... So let the games begin and no more of this nonsense. We are all adults here and we should be able to use our own judgement as to what is appropriate to post and to what is not.......Enough said!

[This message has been edited by Brie (edited 11-06-1999).]

I don't think dh is too far off. I know for a FACT that the AdComms at Dartmouth and Yale frequent this and the Princeton Review site quite often -- and those are just two of I'm sure many. I wouldn't take risks like posting your identity and where you've gotten in either. Med Schools have extremely tough decisions to make and if they see that you've gotten into or interviewed at a bunch of places, they just may offer the position to a candidate they believe would be less likely to turn them down.

dh does sound like an AdCom member -- I'd believe him.

dh,
I see your points, I just don't see why an adcomm would care where I've interviewed or been accepted. In fact, I've talke to many other applicants and a few have actually been asked that by their interviewers...I see the point, but why do you feel it matters so much? Why would, say Yale for instance, care if I already had an acceptance....would you not agree that many of interviewees at the <i>extremely</i> high caliber schools already have acceptances at this stage in the game...wouldn't the adcomms already know this? I am not trying to contradict you or be an ass here, I am just trying to see your side a little more clearly....on another note...man is it nice to have some decent conversation here on this board after being used to PR's board...lets hoep it stays that way!

------------------
----------------------------------
THE MAN

No, the adcoms do not assume anything. AMCAS does not tell any school about what acceptances a given applicant has garnered until March 15th. Until then, at least at my school, there are no assumptions. But by posting your identity and giving them the whole spiel, you're leaving it to chance whether or not they'll find the information and what they'll think of it. The adcom here views one ENTIRELY different if they find out a candidate has procured acceptances at other places -- the policy here is that it's better to offer the quality candidate whose perceived without a seat in another class acceptance over one of equal caliber holding positions elsewhere. The idea is to get as many bright and deserving souls into medicine -- if you've already gotten into Baylor and have taken the offer, why do you need to get into Yale too...

As was above posted, I know for a fact that the two schools mentioned are on the lookout as well as numerous others...for your sake, if I were you, I wouldn't chance it.

I'm also having trouble seeing how you posting all that information is helping anyone anyway. As I said before, you're not the typical applicant and even if you were, statistics regarding averages are readily available at any school. Perhaps in the future, post a range like (app. 35 MCAT). That way people will get the idea and you won't show exactly who you are.

Just my $.02

[This message has been edited by dh (edited 11-07-1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone please help me out with this..How does anyone know who we are? I mean like our names or any of that? I don't have my last name specified nor have I made my e-mail available to anyone. So how will any committe member put me together with their school? I was hoping this site would not turn into a debate but I'm afraid it has. Maybe I should just delete the thread and call it a day!..........What do you guys think?

Not the point Brie...what the issue is revolves around when you do make your e-mail (which reveals your last name) and post your stats, giving your interviews and acceptances... You are then taking a risk, because an AdComm member (as was proven above) can come across the info and actually see what schools a given candidate is getting interviews/offers from... The point is to be careful...just don't go blazoning everything about yourself on the web anyway...it's totally unsafe...

I think that this thread shows that it is a cut-throat world for pre-meds. We are all so busy being paranoid we have forgotten we are human, too. I personally feel OK posting here, where I am anonymous except for my first name. Most of the students at my school wouldn't sit around and trade numbers, rejections, and interview status with anyone. This thread gives me an opportunity to vent/reach out that I don't have here at school.

Brie, again, thank you for starting this thread. To everyone who is against this, thanks for the warnings, but can we just get on with it?

[This message has been edited by KimR (edited 11-07-1999).]

Thanks Kim.....I was beginning to lose faith in this. I do agree it's a judgement call that each person has to make for his/her self.......

I appreciate your support.............

[This message has been edited by Brie (edited 11-07-1999).]

THEMAN:
How did you like Vandy compared to the other schools that you interviewed at?

Everyone else:

From the time that your file was complete, when did you start receiving interviews?

[This message has been edited by SCRU (edited 11-08-1999).]

Well, I didn't like Vandy very much. But I didn't dislike it either. With the schools that I really like, namely Baylor and Emory right now, I just was blown away and really felt like I could spend fgour or more years studying and living there. At Vandy, I didn't get that vibe. I had a little scheduling problem when I got there (m interviewer rescheduled and I sat around for 4 hours), but the people, including the students, were very very nice. The tour was absolutely worthless though. They literally showed us the lobby of the library and then said, "ok lets go eat"...that was it. But don't take my advice on it...its just my personal experience.

------------------
THE MAN

I had a better experience at Vanderbilt, perhaps because I stayed with a student. The people there are blissfully happy and seem truly concerned about each other's welfare. The faculty invite students to their homes for dinner and the dean throws parties at his house. It really is a family atmosphere.

The students I talked to over there picked Vanderbilt over other institutions that are ranked higher (whatever that's worth) than Vanderbilt.

The downside? You have to live in Nashville.

But, I can't imagine a more happy group of med students.

My first interview request came from Boston University only two days after the application was considered complete and it is scheduled later this month. (I was really excited) All of my other schools have remained quiet to this point (which is to be expected because the applications have only been complete for a few weeks) The only other news I have heard came from Penn State today, and the letter said that my application is now in the "hold for interview" category. Maybe I'll get an interview there eventually, or maybe I won't hear another word from them again... Don't know...

hi! i was wondering if somebody has applied at Mcmasters university in Canada.

Nasville a downside? The one thing that I did like was the city....Nashville is a cool city if you ask me. I've heard thought that Vandy was like a seperate world, which students refer to as "the Vandy Bubble"...I did pick up the family vibe though.

Hi guys:

I just wanted to pop into your interesting discussion & say that I do like the chat here more than the "I am so much cooler than you" talk over at the PR. Also, horizontal messages not allowed by the automatic carrier... anyway, that's cool that med school people frequent these sites- I would do it if I were on the adcom.

But I like to keep my email available in case somebody wants to talk to me directly =o)

------------------
The Melster
Webmaster of: http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~aasu