You hafta wonder about this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwlMyste

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just went for my yearly GYN appointment not too long ago...(lucky I had a female GYN)..but its gotten me to think...

it makes me wonder about males who decide to go into the OBGYN field...no offense intended for the males or anything....it just makes me wonder why they picked a job where they look at women all day...granted they are doing medical exams and delivering babies, but even my mother wonders about why males choose to get into the profession.....im sure some males are just fine....what does everyone else think?

Members don't see this ad.

i just happened across this wandering the residency forum, and i'll relay to you a classic quote from one my best friend from college's father, who is a well respected obstetrician/gynecologist in the Seattle area:

".....its not like there are these Catherine Zeta Joneses walking into your office all day coming in for 'clitoral sensitivity checkups'. Some of the stuff I see in my practice could render a man impotent" :laugh:

I always found this arguement ridiculous: the arguement against males in OBGYN. Along the same line of thinking...

Why would adult physicians want to be pediatricians? Perhaps we should train children do be peds docs since they'd better relate to their peds pts.

Why would a young doc want to go into geriatrics?

Women urologists treating males with ED? How can they?!?!

Maybe we should only let crazy people go into Psych (wait a minute...they may be already doing this...j/k)

Anyway...I keep hearing this arguement that females make better OB's...the arguement being that they somehow relate better to their patients....when the same logic is applied to other fields, it seems ridiculous doesn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a male fourth year medical student who has matched in OB/GYN I can shed some light on why I went into OB. Here are my reasons:

1) Relatively high proportion of healthy patients
2) The gratification from practicing OB
3) The combination of surgery and internal medicine
4) You don't need to have had cancer to become an oncologist
5) Most women prefer the better doctor, regardless of gender
6) Variety in every day practice
7) Lots of procedures

With the current malpractice crisis and trend towards female ob/gyns, I can assure you that the vast majority of men who choose OB/GYN in this day and age choose it for the "right" reasons.

Dani

Wow some great replies! I start my Ob/Gyn residency in July. I think NOT having males in the field would be a true disadvantage if nothing else it balances out perspective. I will enjoy having a male in my residency class to balance the estrogen!

:) Diane

I can only speak from my own personal experience which is limited to a single 6 week "experience" during 3rd year but....

I would NEVER choose ob/gyn, and here are my reasons:

1. The prevailing attitude that only women should be ob/gyns because women should care for women. This is ridiculous, but the bias is real and it will affect you if you're a man in this field. The chiefs that are graduating from my university have had different experiences. The women all fielded multiple offers in desirable places. The one guy chief received no offers in the city that he really wanted (not even that cool of a city), and took a job in rural New York. On my rotation he was bitching now and then about how the job search was sucking for him compared to the women. Women get better financial packages too. Not in every case, but this is happening a lot now.

2. The fact that as a male, you will have to have a female third party present every time you do an exam. What are the men gonna do? Rape a patient? There is an implicit accusation here that men are somehow more likely to be unprofessional than women. Or at least, more likely to be accused of being unprofessional. Either way, that sucks.

3. Too much estrogen. I don't want to be the "token" male. God, it was bad enough being a med student on the service watching all the crazy female dynamics... Pretty much none of the residents ever seemed truly happy. They always looked like someone crapped in their ice cream. Hard residency? Sure. But no one put a gun to their heads to make them do it.

4. Cervical exams, pap smears, etc... I just can't imagine doing this for my career. There is some pretty bad hygeine out there...

5. Poor surgical technique. It's really bad folks. Really variable surgical quality ranging from good to horrendous. A 4 year ob/gyn residency is just not sufficient to train someone to be a surgeon imho. Besides, a significant portion of your time is spent doing PC stuff. Gyn onc was pretty impressive, but then you have to do another 3-4 years of surgical training for that anyway.

6. Horrendous hours. I'm going in to gen surg, so for me to say this probably means something. With the 80 hour rule things might calm down though. However, I found my ob/gyn rotation to be more grueling than most of my surgical rotations. It's not that I was doing any surgery, it's just that I would stay up all freakin' night delivering babies. Big whoop. After 10 or so deliveries, you can pretty much do it by yourself. The best part was doing episiotomies, and then sewing them back up. Whoopee. Not worth staying up for imho. One of the attendings whom I really like is in her 40s and still takes in house call. Um... no thanks.

7. Malpractice. Actually I think that it would be a mistake to not choose ob/gyn based on the malpractice woes. However, it's just another strike against it. The top civil awards for the last few years have been against ob/gyns. It's just ridiculous. You will be liable for things that really are out of your hands, standard of care be damned. And with the skyrocketing premiums, a significant portion of ob/gyns are dropping the "ob" and just doing gyn. Delivering babies was one of the cooler things about this field, and not doing it cos of insurance problems? Horrible.

Finally, this is just one man's opinion. If you love ob/gyn then go for it. Just be aware that as a man, you will face a lot of hurdles that women, and other physicians in other fields (male and female) won't have to face. It's a job, and someone has to do it. God bless you if you choose ob/gyn.

Peace, and good luck.

"Here are my reasons:

1) Relatively high proportion of healthy patients
2) The gratification from practicing OB
3) The combination of surgery and internal medicine
4) You don't need to have had cancer to become an oncologist
5) Most women prefer the better doctor, regardless of gender
6) Variety in every day practice
7) Lots of procedures

With the current malpractice crisis and trend towards female ob/gyns, I can assure you that the vast majority of men who choose OB/GYN in this day and age choose it for the "right" reasons."

Dani, while those are good reasons, I wonder if they are the "right reasons." What about the desire to help couples have the birth they want? What about helping to reduce the enormous C-section rate in this country? Or helping women discover their own strength rather than fixing things with "procedures"?
Are you primarily looking into high risk work? Just some things to think about. Good luck in school next year! Jenn

Jennifer,
No, I am not primarily looking for high risk work and to me the less I have to do to fix a problem the better. I am all for reducing the C-section rate and for patients to drive my practice the way they want. I am not going into this to fulfill my desires in any way, but fulfill what my patients may need.
Dani

best gyn i ever went to was a guy. v.caring,empathetic, gentle. actually spent 2 hours talking to me about a particular problem i was having. susan

Dani,
That's great. You sound like the type of doctor I would want to see. Best of luck! Jenn

why is males in ob/gyn any different from females in urology?

I actually prefer men gynecologists for one specific reason: they take all of your concerns very seriously. I have been to many females for my endometriosis, and have been pushed aside merely because they thought I was complaining about pains that every woman has. My first male Gyn. was the one who was concerned enough to schedule a lap and sure enough, found my endometriosis and got me a diagnosis. Just to keep that in mind.

<<Why would adult physicians want to be pediatricians? Perhaps we should train children do be peds docs since they'd better relate to their peds pts.

Why would a young doc want to go into geriatrics?

Women urologists treating males with ED? How can they?!?!

Maybe we should only let crazy people go into Psych (wait a minute...they may be already doing this...j/k)
>>

My point exactly. :)