You guys!!!! I have a problem!!! Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chase Pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my pre-req's in January and I basically have to start at the bottom in Math...I have to start out taking Elementary Algebra and work my way all the way up to Calculus with Analytical Geometry....

My question is: When I apply to pharmacy school will the school that interviews me see that I was really weak in math and had to start at the bottom use that against me and say this chick is not ready for pharmacy school...

Thank you for your time...

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to start my pre-req's in January and I basically have to start at the bottom in Math...I have to start out taking Elementary Algebra and work my way all the way up to Calculus with Analytical Geometry....

My question is: When I apply to pharmacy school will the school that interviews me see that I was really weak in math and had to start at the bottom use that against me and say this chick is not ready for pharmacy school...

No, it's not your fault that perhaps your high school did not prepare you well in math. Where you start in college is not your fault. Your performance in these courses however will be judged. So get A's & B's! And good luck! :luck:

No, it's not your fault that perhaps your high school did not prepare you well in math. Where you start in college is not your fault. Your performance in these courses however will be judged. So get A's & B's! And good luck! :luck:

Thank you so much!!!! I feel better now....I can sleep!!!:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing i might add, if it is elementary algebra, it is under 101. So if that is the case it will not be in your GPA, because like my school it is pass/fail. Don't worry i actually stepped back and am taking elem algebra even though i don't have to. I figured being out of school for 3 years i need to build a stronger base. So now i have to take like 5 extra math classes but it will be all worth it. I have to put in 2 years no matter what, so might as well use it all.

I never get to sleep :(. Work all day, school during the evening. Plus i work saturday:thumbdown:.

You're right, I didn't think about that....It doesn't count until I start taking the required courses....Yaaaay!!!!!

P.S. All that schooling and work, do you have time for a social life???

You're right, I didn't think about that....It doesn't count until I start taking the required courses....Yaaaay!!!!!

Well i have been in a relationship for the past 2 years. So my girlfriend is the bulk of my social life. However, I do get out quite a bit.( Quite a bit for me is once or twice a week, im a home body)

lol this is a problem that most of my classmates have....and ill tell you i have a social life. its just there might be like 2 weeks where i hit the books hard and i will be mia from the bar or party scene. however, I also like to study every single day and make head way in learning in all my classes soo when there is a big party that i wanna go to and i study till like 11 i will be able to go out cause im just refreshing my memory when i study(i will never go out the 3 nights before the test period.)....most ppl i know just go home and sleep right after class but thats when i get the bulk of my work done and also i have a job at a pharmacy and i make note cards and take them with me to work and set them infront of the computer to study.
and my stats are decent I have a 3.4 gpa with a 77 pcat i was a chem major and then switched to molecular biology....so i dont think its how smart you are its how you play the game. but having a freakishly good memory can help im just saying

Well i have been in a relationship for the past 2 years. So my girlfriend is the bulk of my social life. However, I do get out quite a bit.( Quite a bit for me is once or twice a week, im a home body)

You guys are awesome!!!!! I am a home body as well....

Wow Chase Pharm we have to keep each other encouraged. I think in the other thread you said you are 31 right? I'm 32 and beginning my Pre-req's in January as well AND I'm starting all the way at the bottom (it's been waaaayyyy to many years to remember all of those rules). I wondered the same thing. Hopefully they will take our age into account, we aren't fresh off the high school campus. :laugh:

One thing i might add, if it is elementary algebra, it is under 101. So if that is the case it will not be in your GPA, because like my school it is pass/fail. Don't worry i actually stepped back and am taking elem algebra even though i don't have to. I figured being out of school for 3 years i need to build a stronger base. So now i have to take like 5 extra math classes but it will be all worth it. I have to put in 2 years no matter what, so might as well use it all.

I was got all bumbed out when I thought about:

Elementary algebra
Intermediate algebra
College Algebra
Trig
Pre-Calculus
Calculus

I like math though, but it will taker longer than I want, but it's either I do the classes or not become a pharmacist and the latter isn't an option! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Elementary algebra
Intermediate algebra
College Algebra
Trig
Pre-Calculus
Calculus

I like math though, but it will taker longer than I want, but it's either I do the classes or not become a pharmacist and the latter isn't an option! :)
I have the same math sequence to go through. If you take them in the summer you can have them done relatively quick.

Elementary algebra
Intermediate algebra
College Algebra
Trig
Pre-Calculus
Calculus

Doesn't your college have a combined College Algebra and Trig class? Mine did.

I was good at Trigonometry anyway, but I did notice that it helped some people out because they did better in the algebra than in the trig, and their good grades in algebra helped offset their poor performance in trig, and increased their overall grade in the class.

Also, algebra and trig are the only math you need for calculus (at least, that's what I think).

I have the same math sequence to go through. If you take them in the summer you can have them done relatively quick.

I will do that. :) I would like to intermediate algebra summer 2009 then take college algebra in fall 2009. I'll be dreaming of equations. ;)

I was good at Trigonometry anyway, but I did notice that it helped some people out because they did better in the algebra than in the trig, and their good grades in algebra helped offset their poor performance in trig, and increased their overall grade in the class.

Also, algebra and trig are the only math you need for calculus (at least, that's what I think).

I always thought algebra+trig=precalc? I could be wrong...

I'm not sure but I will check on it!:)

See if you can take a math placement test, or retake a math placement test. Try to place into precalc or trig.

The problem with starting at the bottom, is that alot of chem/physics classes require you to complete certain math classes or are concurrently enrolled. You will literally have to put those classes on hold while you are remediating all those ******ed math classes.

Pharm schools don't care where you start. They only care that you maintain good grades and are well rounded.

Mine does not. However, you could take them during the same semester.

I always thought algebra+trig=precalc? I could be wrong...

Neither college algebra nor pre-calculus have anything to do with trigonometry. Sure it helps to know math, but the topics are very different.

Precalculus is a lot more rigorous than college algebra and you encounter new topics like matrices & determinants, partial fractions.

My precalculus book was a two course sequence: precalculus & trigonometry. Sine, Cosine, cosecant, theta, vectors and dot products were strictly trigonometry. Precalculus and trig are essential tools of calculus.

I started from the bottom with algebra 2>>intermediate algebra>>college algebra>>precalculus & Trig the same semester>> calculus I.

The point: believe you can do the work and you will succeed.

Wow Chase Pharm we have to keep each other encouraged. I think in the other thread you said you are 31 right? I'm 32 and beginning my Pre-req's in January as well AND I'm starting all the way at the bottom (it's been waaaayyyy to many years to remember all of those rules). I wondered the same thing. Hopefully they will take our age into account, we aren't fresh off the high school campus. :laugh:

No problem!!!!! I like being on this site because alot of people on here who are in pharmacy school will keep you encouraged!!!!!

That's definitely what I'm going to do....Basically I have to go to school non-stop!!!!!

it shouldnt matter. if you have the prereq finished, thats all that matters.

it shouldnt matter. if you have the prereq finished, thats all that matters.

Have any of you guys ever applied to or had an interview with LECOM-Bradenton???? I was looking on the site and it doesn't mention anything about having letter of recommendations or volunteer experience....If so, how did things go???

Thanks

Are you done with your pre-req's yet??? What is your pharmacy school of choice and how many pharmacy schools do you plan on applying to???