You guys/gals have GOT to see this thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133181

Hey there people,

First off, I wanted to THANK YOU ALL for being so kind and supportive to me over the last weeks regarding my Step I score. I have received so many kind PM's and replies. I really appreciate that. So much.

Above, please link to this post in the "anesthesiology" forum, where I was attacked by people who obviously thought I was lying about my score. In any case, this tool "Skip Intro" challenged me to prove my score and called my claim bull****. I was more than happy to oblige with 2 clear pictures depicting my score. They are attached in the post as JPEG's.

Again, thank you all for trusting me at face value. I have always provided honest advice to your wonderful people and will continue to do so as best I can. It is unfortunate, however, that people like "Skip Intro" have to be such jealous jackasses.

Best wishes, and please enjoy the above link. Hopefully, you can get a good laugh in.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you're going to be getting a lot of that because people are going to be so jealous! I'm just a lurker on these forums and I know you've worked your ass off for the score you got. Ignore that fool. There are a lot of people like that on these forums - I just blow them off.

Congrats on your score!

:)

You've just enlightened the supposed "Enlightening Rod" :laugh: . Maybe he should've checked this area of the forums out before he started shooting off his mouth.

I have a question for Skip Intro...

Are YOU a 'Bright'?

Members don't see this ad :)
BigFrank,
I too have been impressed with your score.
It is also unfortunate and uncool to have your score challenged.
I think you may have missed the point on that thread though, at least partially.

You were attacked by multiple people because it was inappropriate and unnecessary to post your score.
The thread was not discussing competitiveness or scores required. You just announced it like, " Hello, Mrs. Smith, I am glad to be a part of your health care team- by the way I got a 267"

It may be an anonymous forum but some decorum is nice.

You know what? If I got a 267, I would tattoo it on my forehead. It is a very solid accomplishment. Plus, if you read any BigFrank stuff, he doesnt come off the least bit arrogant and is always very gracious. Obviously the guy is just trying to converse with some of the tools...skipintro is well known around these parts...

DrDre' said:
BigFrank,
You were attacked by multiple people because it was inappropriate and unnecessary to post your score.
The thread was not discussing competitiveness or scores required. You just announced it like, " Hello, Mrs. Smith, I am glad to be a part of your health care team- by the way I got a 267"

I agree. Your score just didn't have anything to do with the topic. It's usually poor form to broadcast numbers unless asked. It's a lot like salaries. Most people think poorly of the guy who interjects the fact he has a 7 digit salary into an unrelated conversation about the upcoming football game. Nothing personal bigfrank; just agreeing with DrDre. I'm by no means saying you shouldn't be proud of your score. I'm just saying I wouldn't bring it up unless its relevant.

Hey bigfrank!

First off, your score rocks.

Secondly, it's too bad that you were treated so rudely by those in the anesthesiology forum. Most of the anesthesiologists I know are very cool people; I wonder why you were treated like c r a p? I hope they don't make you not want to explore anesthesiology as a possible career; from what I've heard, for the right person, it can be extremely rewarding. Let's hope those that gave you such good "advice" sharpen their people skills.

Incidentally, in the Pathology forum, we're a lot nicer! :love:

Hey there big frank!

Yah dude that Skip Intro guy is a tooL! I remember back about 2 yrs ago he was in some arguement with this guy, DKNYsomething. This SKip guy as I recall went to some CARIBBEAN school... ross or St. Georges. I think Ross. He was making the argument that it was better than some of the US med schools and caribbean schools were better than DO.

The guys must be a flake. I mean no matter what school in the US you go to you are soooooooooooooo much better off than any foreign/caribbean school. I mean every one knows the only reason you guy to those off shore schools that are literally diploma mills (just let you in if you have a pulse) are such a joke to get into. I dont care WHAT school in AMERICA you went to, you are definitely more qualified than a caribbean grad PERIOD. And this was the case that DKNYguy was making. I agree with him. Skip just has an inferiority complex.

Congrats on your score by the way buddy!

later

not to make this a us vs carib or something...

mountaindew :
You chastise skip for the school he decided to go to because of the comments he made.
That makes you no better than him. You're showing the same ignorance he has for bigfrank's score as you do for caribbean trained doctors.

I go to Ross and I've worked my butt off in some horrible conditions, things you'd never imagine doing. So I do find some offense to the comments you made.

"I mean every one knows the only reason you guy to those off shore schools that are literally diploma mills (just let you in if you have a pulse) are such a joke to get into."

Yes, its easier to get in. But unlike american schools where once you're in and you have to work hard to get kicked out. At Ross getting in is the easy part, getting out is the hard part.

If you gave us any credit you'd realize it wasn't the school that put us there, it was our own misfortune. You think that just because we couldn't make it into a us school that we're inferior now? or that we're not as smart?

No reason to bring skip's school into this, because you did was insult me and many others.
This thread was to point out Skip's inadequacies, not caribbean students. And even then it probably doesn't even belong in this forum.

Side note:
Its not the school that makes the doctor, its the person who makes the doctor.

(for everyone else, sorry about the rant.)

Thank most of you very much. There was nothing distasteful about my post. I have reviewed it and it was completely appropriate. I was merely trying to make the point that I would be researching specialties with the same fervor that I applied to the Step I. Is it that difficult to see? I was attacked by jealous dinguses because of my score when there was bragging nowhere in the post. This forum is anonymous. Who cares what some nameless guy got on the Step I? Have I sent out a mass email to my class and announced my score -- of course not. Have I avoided answering questions regarding my score from zealous classmates who have tried to get it out of me -- actually, yes.

The ******* SkipIntro should have researched the THOUSANDS of words I have posted encouraging members on this forum and the literally HUNDREDS of PM's I have answered with care and completeness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DrDre' said:

It may be an anonymous forum but some decorum is nice.

To DrDre':

Multiple people? I don't think so. I was attacked by one idiot who was obviously bitter regarding his own score/status. I replied PER HIS REQUESTS and provided the information he called "bull****" on.

Decorum? Are you kidding here? Any rational person would argue that I have displayed the utmost in decorous behavior on this forum for months. I have answered many poster's questions to the best of my ability and will continue to do so.

"Announcing my score to Mrs. Smith"? I thought this was hardly worth commenting on, but I will. I think announcing one's score in an anonymous forum discussing specialties (all of which look at an applicant's Step I score) is hardly comparable with announcing your score to a patient. Come on.

The reasons (and they are all valid) that I posted my Step I score in the anesthesiology forum is the following...

1. I was merely trying to relay the FACT that I would research specialties with the same intensity as I studied for the Step I. What is wrong with that? I stated in my post that I had studied hard. Wow, someone who studies hard and get a 267. He must be arrogant. Look at other posters who have posted in years past with 260+. Most have these barely-believable 3-week study schedules where they piddled around QBank and "skimmed" FA.

2. I had JUST gotten my Step I score back and I was damn proud of it. Again, what's wrong with that? You posted your score in the forum as well. Was that bragging? Probably, but so what?

3. This forum is anonymous. Who cares if some faceless guy named bigfrank (and my name's not even "Frank" and I wouldn't call myself "big") posts his score as long as it is in good taste? I put no one down and didn't say, "now everyone who reads this post YOUR score so we can see who's the smartest." That would be in bad taste. One could argue that we could take all the personality and personal touches out of SDN and answer questions methodically and coldly (i.e., I read BRS Path. It was good in my opinion. This is in no way a guarantee that you will enjoy it too, however.), but that would make things boring.

4. Read the specialty forums sometime. Every time someone is researching a field, it is the SMART thing to do to post stats. That way, if you are wondering if you are competitive for a field, your question can be answered. If you are curious about a specific program, you can be told if anyone knows screening scores, averages of those who matched, etc.

I can't believe my simple post caused so much controversy but I will be here to defend [well] anyone who challenges my sincerity or "decorum."

Imebo-

The only reason that I brought Skips school, in this case "ross' is because of the MANY Ross students I know, like SKIP, that go around ranting about how their school is harder, etc in soo many ways AND as a result are better schools then some US schools.

And I must disagree with the statement, "its not the school, rather the student". You do have a point, the student definitely does make a difference. If he's not willing to learn then surely he will be an incompetent MD. However, I think the school does make a difference. In US schools, that's why LCME and the other body that regulates US schools are in place. They regulate and oversee what's going on in schools. How are students being taught, are they being taught the right stuff, and what kind of docs are produced. As you know caribbean schools are not regulated in this manner. They are FOR profit institutions. Plus, if you have good profs, students will learn 'easier' and stuff is made more UNDERSTANDABLE. As you mentioned Ross has a high attrition rate, does that make it a better school? NO! A good school knows how to teach their students and thus tries to maintain as many of them as possible, not kick them all out! If students are failing left and right , as Dr. Goljan remarked in his audio tapes, the profs are not teaching correctly OR the questions have flaws in them.

In addition, if you have a yahoo mail account or even do a google search w/ 'medical school' as the entry you will see ADS for these caribbean schools. Ads usually are made to get you to purchase or buy into something. I challenge you to find me an advertisement to a US school on the interent. Brochures, etc are different.

I would like to expand on Skips inadequacies, however, I do not have time given my rapidly approaching boards.

Congrats Big Frank once again! And sorry to deter from the topic.

later

lol this thread is funny. if i had a score like that i'd just be happy with what i got. no need for ranting or answering to a doubter. like you said it's anonymous, who cares what another anonymous person says about "you"?

that being said i appreciate the advice i've read here, thank you.

can we just get along???.... sigh... i thought *us* being doctors are supposed to heal ppl.. caring for ppl... not like initiating or causing wound... also, going to carrib med school doesn't mean that they are not smart enough to make it to US med school.. i know many ppl in my undergrad, they are really smart, had gpa 3.8 or above, and 13, 14 for their MCAT biological and physical science.. just that english is their sencond language, so their verbal score isn't good enough.. (actually it's very bad.. worse than what you can imagine).. Or, even they have a chance to get a interview, due to their language barrier, they will get screwed by the interviewers.... So, my point is, going to any top ranking med school in US does not grant you any privilege to put other school down, ranking of the school doesn't always equal to the IQ of the students.. and being a doctor doesn't give you the right to look down other ppl... i dont know whether you guys are still called this as "grown-up" debate or defend yourself.. it sounds more like hurting each other or by attack other's self-esteem.. Sounds like a politician huh??

Members don't see this ad :)
From reading your posts, it just seems that you have a negative view of medical school outside the US borders, especially in the caribbean.

Just asking that you not make generalizations about each school and each individual. Its incorrect and unwarrented.

I'll leave it at this and stop waisting people's bandwidth.

Good luck on studying for you're boards.

-lmbebo

mountaindew2006 said:
Imebo-

The only reason that I brought Skips school, in this case "ross' is because of the MANY Ross students I know, like SKIP, that go around ranting about how their school is harder, etc in soo many ways AND as a result are better schools then some US schools.

And I must disagree with the statement, "its not the school, rather the student". You do have a point, the student definitely does make a difference. If he's not willing to learn then surely he will be an incompetent MD. However, I think the school does make a difference. In US schools, that's why LCME and the other body that regulates US schools are in place. They regulate and oversee what's going on in schools. How are students being taught, are they being taught the right stuff, and what kind of docs are produced. As you know caribbean schools are not regulated in this manner. They are FOR profit institutions. Plus, if you have good profs, students will learn 'easier' and stuff is made more UNDERSTANDABLE. As you mentioned Ross has a high attrition rate, does that make it a better school? NO! A good school knows how to teach their students and thus tries to maintain as many of them as possible, not kick them all out! If students are failing left and right , as Dr. Goljan remarked in his audio tapes, the profs are not teaching correctly OR the questions have flaws in them.

In addition, if you have a yahoo mail account or even do a google search w/ 'medical school' as the entry you will see ADS for these caribbean schools. Ads usually are made to get you to purchase or buy into something. I challenge you to find me an advertisement to a US school on the interent. Brochures, etc are different.

I would like to expand on Skips inadequacies, however, I do not have time given my rapidly approaching boards.

Congrats Big Frank once again! And sorry to deter from the topic.

later

Idiopathic said:
You know what? If I got a 267, I would tattoo it on my forehead. It is a very solid accomplishment.

I made that JPEG my wallpaper :laugh:

i've just recently read the post in that other link....

man big frank...i don't know if you wrote that pm to skip or not but if you did, that obviously wasn't really tasteful in my opinion...kinda says something about your character, in fact this whole thread on 'check out this what this guy said about me' is kinda immature and distasteful ....although you give good advice, i don't think you're someone i would want to be friends with (you probably don't give a rats ass). anyways, i just saw you in a different light, and i think a bunch of us feel the same way too......congrats on your boards, you deserve it......(i may be writing this post out of jealousy of his scores so take it knowing that:))

Posting scores are definately legit. It's the only feedback we pre-steppers get. I've saved a lot of good advice from the site, BF included. A strong, sound study plan, backed with a good score is a great selling point. Although I'm only using parts of BF's study plan and more from posters with lower scores, (but still good) Go figure. Congrats BF. I look forward to you SCORES on Step 2!!! Good luck! :cool:

Hey Big Frank,
I wouldn't take this stuff too seriously, meaning, I definetly would not have gone so far as to take pictures of your score and post them. That being said, from what I've read you seem like a nice guy, so I doubt you intentionally meant to gloat about your score. A few years back, when I was Mightymouseal on here, I posted a thread about how I thought that being sincere with the activities and EC's that you picked as an undergrad, as opposed to just doing cookie cutter type things, would help you get into top med schools, even from less that Ivy League undergrads. I also posted that I had gotten into my current school early decision. Wow, the backlash was ridiculous. I really meant to impart something I thought would be useful, and got lambasted for it.
Not so long story short, I know you didn't mean to piss people off, but sometimes you've got to post as cautiously as you speak on a first date, keep it simple, clean, and say just as much as is needed. Tha being said, you're pretty well known in this forum, so you could say whatever the heck you wanted to around here and get away with it. Take care buddy, and congrats on beating that test into submission.

the_equalizer said:
Hey Big Frank,
I wouldn't take this stuff too seriously, meaning, I definetly would not have gone so far as to take pictures of your score and post them. That being said, from what I've read you seem like a nice guy, so I doubt you intentionally meant to gloat about your score. A few years back, when I was Mightymouseal on here, I posted a thread about how I thought that being sincere with the activities and EC's that you picked as an undergrad, as opposed to just doing cookie cutter type things, would help you get into top med schools, even from less that Ivy League undergrads. I also posted that I had gotten into my current school early decision. Wow, the backlash was ridiculous. I really meant to impart something I thought would be useful, and got lambasted for it.
Not so long story short, I know you didn't mean to piss people off, but sometimes you've got to post as cautiously as you speak on a first date, keep it simple, clean, and say just as much as is needed. Tha being said, you're pretty well known in this forum, so you could say whatever the heck you wanted to around here and get away with it. Take care buddy, and congrats on beating that test into submission.

Thank you very much. Again, it was late last night and Skip Intro really annoyed me. So I took a picture of the score report. It took about 3 minutes total, tops. Not as big of deal as it's being made out to be.

-----------------------------

cache20033 said:
i've just recently read the post in that other link....

man big frank...i don't know if you wrote that pm to skip or not but if you did, that obviously wasn't really tasteful in my opinion...kinda says something about your character, in fact this whole thread on 'check out this what this guy said about me' is kinda immature and distasteful ....although you give good advice, i don't think you're someone i would want to be friends with (you probably don't give a rats ass). anyways, i just saw you in a different light, and i think a bunch of us feel the same way too......congrats on your boards, you deserve it......(i may be writing this post out of jealousy of his scores so take it knowing that)

Well, that's fine. But perhaps you should have the intelligence to know that anyone who has the audacity to question another person's integrity (Skip Intro) would quote whatever he wanted. I did not write that. Skip Intro is a big fat liar. Refer to the anes. thread to see an example of how anyone can "quote" anyone else at any time, regardless of its authenticity.

But I respect your opinion about me and obviously feel someone like you who judges so quickly and with few of the facts is someone who I would never wish to call a friend. Obviously.

I am personally grateful to people like BigFrank who post their successes AND how they got there. It's not like he's waving his score around and calling everyone else idiots. He's genuinely trying to help people get where he got. That's commendable, not inappropriate.

Thanks, Frank!

bigfrank said:
Thank you very much. Again, it was late last night and Skip Intro really annoyed me. So I took a picture of the score report. It took about 3 minutes total, tops. Not as big of deal as it's being made out to be.

-----------------------------

Well, that's fine. But perhaps you should have the intelligence to know that anyone who has the audacity to question another person's integrity (Skip Intro) would quote whatever he wanted. I did not write that. Skip Intro is a big fat liar. Refer to the anes. thread to see an example of how anyone can "quote" anyone else at any time, regardless of its authenticity.

But I respect your opinion about me and obviously feel someone like you who judges so quickly and with few of the facts is someone who I would never wish to call a friend. Obviously.

well now i owe you the biggest apology....i only wrote that because i thought you wrote him that pm....please accept my apology and like i said earlier...i'm just a little jealous of your score...but you definately deserve it. take care and sorry again.

p.s. and please continue to post great advice as we all are benefiting from them...

I've been reading Bigfrank's post since he joined and I have nothing but praises for him. He probably gaives the BEST and most accurate advice (Sorry Idio). He also did it with grace and dignity. There are a lot of people on student doctor that would gloat at every change if they had his score. What impressed me the most about Bigfrank was that even though he was all done with STEP 1 and had a great score he still though about his fellow student doctor members who are still waiting for their score when he share his information about the delay of the release of scores. Keep up the good job Bigfrank and again congrats!

you are G-d. you have now earned the privilege of popping pimples and removing warts and skin tags if you so desire. everyone here is totally jealous of you, we say a prayer every nite hoping we can some day be just like you.

You are all very kind. I will continue to post advice as long as people want to hear it. I appreciate your kind words but have been hurt at the people who have judged me unfairly and disappointed at the haste some people have made by calling me "arrogant" and prideful, 2 things I am not.

bigfrank said:
You are all very kind. I will continue to post advice as long as people want to hear it. I appreciate your kind words but have been hurt at the people who have judged me unfairly and disappointed at the haste some people have made by calling me "arrogant" and prideful, 2 things I am not.

Ignore those that are unkind. Particularly skip intro. I've been on this board a few years now and have encountered many of his posts. He is quite arrogant. What is ironic about him though is that he is quick to write an antagonistic post fingering you as a liar, and then state that even if you are not there is no reason for you to be posting your score. Like he wouldn't do such a thing. He has, and he has done so to prove that FMGs are able to score well on step one. Although you were obviously not bragging about your score (which, by the way, you have every right do so), he has in order to make a point. I guess anyone with a score higher than him should not post their scores since somehow that is gloating :rolleyes:

daisygirl said:
Ignore those that are unkind. Particularly skip intro. I've been on this board a few years now and have encountered many of his posts. He is quite arrogant. What is ironic about him though is that he is quick to write an antagonistic post fingering you as a liar, and then state that even if you are not there is no reason for you to be posting your score. Like he wouldn't do such a thing. He has, and he has done so to prove that FMGs are able to score well on step one. Although you were obviously not bragging about your score (which, by the way, you have every right do so), he has in order to make a point. I guess anyone with a score higher than him should not post their scores since somehow that is gloating :rolleyes:

Daisygirl, you make good points. I think that Skip Intro is so amazingly narcissistic, it is incomprehensible to him that he should be challenged. In his mind, he should be able to arrogantly question anybody he wants and damn anyone who replies by defending himself or herself. I got the sense that he was taken back that someone would challenge him. How dare I!

I liked your post and just re-read it. It was brilliantly written and I appreciate the time you took. Best,

bigfrank has proven through his posts to be a great asset to SDN. Of the millions who visit the board, only a fraction respond— and we all know that he puts his share of information for us all to learn from.

He has proven to me that he is willing to sacrifice his time and energy for the needs of others. I asked him a question soon after he got his score (a time when checking one's mail should be the last thing on his mind-- congrats again) and an immediate response is what I got. Gosh... I didnt even send a thank you letter back as fast as he did!

I've learned a considerable amount from him... thank you again for your efforts, bigfrank! I have trusted your opinions and thoughts just as so many others have. I hope you will continue to add to the board's more pleasant character. We would definitely be better off...

aerial said:
bigfrank has proven through his posts to be a great asset to SDN. Of the millions who visit the board, only a fraction respond? and we all know that he puts his share of information for us all to learn from.

He has proven to me that he is willing to sacrifice his time and energy for the needs of others. I asked him a question soon after he got his score (a time when checking one's mail should be the last thing on his mind-- congrats again) and an immediate response is what I got. Gosh... I didnt even send a thank you letter back as fast as he did!

I?ve learned a considerable amount from him... thank you again for your efforts, bigfrank! I have trusted your opinions and thoughts just as so many others have. I hope you will continue to add to the board?s more pleasant character. We would definitely be better off...

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them. Glad I've been able to help you a bit. Many have helped me on these forums.

skip intro and the likes are sad little trolls.

keep up the great work bigfrank!

Iatrogenic said:
skip intro and the likes are sad little trolls.

keep up the great work bigfrank!

Answered at least 2 dozen PM's tonight. I'm trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your kind words Iatrogenic (love your name).

bigfrank said:

well.. com'on bigfrank, chin up, don't let these things to beat you down, after all it's a cyber sapce.. just remember that you cannot pleased everyone in the world, be who you are and be happy with it.

in my opionion, it's not totally both sides fault, each side has to admit their own mistakes.... it's not other ppl's fault to say that you are arrogant, b/c they maybe misunderstood you, misread you.. didn't know what your tone is really like.. and maybe they are just envious, have low self-esteem.... and it's not you fault either.. if i were you, i will be excited about my score too.. especially you put a lot efforts and work to earn that 99%, that is your reward.. i've been followed your advice, i know you are a kind guy and i appreciated it,don't let this incident to beat you down..

can we just all get along?? and cease the fight or stop accusing who's fault is it.. that's just my opion..

PS this really reminds one of the story my elementry school teacher once told us..

fernj1975 said:
I've been reading Bigfrank's post since he joined and I have nothing but praises for him.

Ditto. His posts def helped me the most of the current USMLE posters, but I do have to somewhat side with DrDre. I think posting scores in here is really justified because it helps people decide on how to study and what would work best for them (i.e. someone says you can do fine without Q-bank and has an 190 vs someone who has a 240 and says it's necessary to do well) But in context, it was a score drop in a place that probably didn't need it.

All that being said, I'm glad you tore Skip a new one when he called you a liar. You had every right to defend yourself, I just think it was a little tacky (which I think you realized later on) to post the score in the manner it was posted.

Actually, I still stand by my postings. Skip Intro is a Caribbean Medical Student who hates anyone with a board score higher than his.

"Tacky?" Jalby, I don't think so in any way. I think "tacky" is calling someone's post "bull****" for mentioning their score in a forum that is used almost exclusively for determining one's competiveness for a certain residency and/or program. I included it for later reference when I was going to be asking the competiveness about certain programs (i.e., MGH).

And here's some more news for people: I'll probably mention my score again when I am researching ophtho programs.

Why do some people find this concept so incredibly difficult?

Again, WHO CARES what score I got on some anonymous forum? I mentioned it in a friggin' 1.5 line post. Someone should have answered the OP's question and moved on, not tried to caress their fragile ego by denying that it could be true.

bigfrank said:
And here's some more news for people: I'll probably mention my score again when I am researching ophtho programs.

Again, WHO CARES what score I got on some anonymous forum? I mentioned it in a friggin' 1.5 line post. Someone should have answered the OP's question and moved on.

People care. I don't know if it is jealousy or what. Last year on the path forum we were talking about qualifications and I mentioned one of my qualifications was a high score on step I. So someone asked me to post my score. So I did. Then someone else got upset that it was posted and claimed I was trying to make other people feel dumb or something, and that I was trying to show off.

You made the key point - it's an ANONYMOUS forum (at least somewhat!). Everyone always wants to ask anyway. What board scores does it take? How many interviews do you get with this board score? What programs do people with good board scores get into? What programs invite people to interview with board score x. But then when you post a high score, it's somehow improper?

I don't know who these people think you are trying to impress. No one knows who you are in real life. They know that the internet persona known as Big Frank got a high score on step I. But so what? Good for him. I bet you haven't gotten a chorale composed in your honor, right?

It's kind of like when we were back in high school, when some people thought it was cool to be stupid. Thus, if you got a high score, you would try to hide it so no one would think you were a brown nose or a geek. But if you get a bad score you tell everyone. I think, by the time you get to med school, it's about time to start taking pride in being smart and doing well. Athletes take credit for stuff all the time and people have no problem worshipping them.

I find it a little weird that people are sending you boatloads of PMs asking you what your secrets were to getting the high score. I bet I know your secret: You worked hard. Good for you. Wicked Smaaht.

I too got a bunch of PMs after posting that score, but I doubt as many as you got. But my score wasn't even 260 (on step I), so I'm not even entitled to brag! I gave most people similar advice: Practice lots of questions and don't get caught up in review books too much. Trust your own knowledge, make connections, and stop trying to memorize everything.

I'm glad I never posted my step II score...

For all those who are criticizing Big Frank for posting his score, I have a question- Do you think you would still have felt it was wrong for him to post a score if his score happened to be a 215? I have a feeling that he would not have received any backlash in the anest. forum if his score was average.

I don't know about anyone else,but I always enjoy reading Yaah's posts, regardless of what they're about. Glad to see you peeking out of the path forum from time to time

:D

yaah said:
People care. I don't know if it is jealousy or what. Last year on the path forum we were talking about qualifications and I mentioned one of my qualifications was a high score on step I. So someone asked me to post my score. So I did. Then someone else got upset that it was posted and claimed I was trying to make other people feel dumb or something, and that I was trying to show off.

You made the key point - it's an ANONYMOUS forum (at least somewhat!). Everyone always wants to ask anyway. What board scores does it take? How many interviews do you get with this board score? What programs do people with good board scores get into? What programs invite people to interview with board score x. But then when you post a high score, it's somehow improper?

I don't know who these people think you are trying to impress. No one knows who you are in real life. They know that the internet persona known as Big Frank got a high score on step I. But so what? Good for him. I bet you haven't gotten a chorale composed in your honor, right?

It's kind of like when we were back in high school, when some people thought it was cool to be stupid. Thus, if you got a high score, you would try to hide it so no one would think you were a brown nose or a geek. But if you get a bad score you tell everyone. I think, by the time you get to med school, it's about time to start taking pride in being smart and doing well. Athletes take credit for stuff all the time and people have no problem worshipping them.

I find it a little weird that people are sending you boatloads of PMs asking you what your secrets were to getting the high score. I bet I know your secret: You worked hard. Good for you. Wicked Smaaht.

I too got a bunch of PMs after posting that score, but I doubt as many as you got. But my score wasn't even 260 (on step I), so I'm not even entitled to brag! I gave most people similar advice: Practice lots of questions and don't get caught up in review books too much. Trust your own knowledge, make connections, and stop trying to memorize everything.

I'm glad I never posted my step II score...

My newest friend......thank you. It's nice to hear someone relay my own thoughts much better than I can!

Thank you for taking the time to do so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, daisygirl, you make wonderful points. Of course, a 215 (while I feel is a VERY respectful score) would NEVER have received the backlash, because it is not perceived as 'prestigious' (though it is a better score than roughly half of US-testtakers!!!).

It's like people want to hear everybody's score (that is, everybody's score that is lower than theirs). Score above them and it's like, "HOW DARE YOU."

Thanks again guy/gal.

Stinger86 said:
I don't know about anyone else,but I always enjoy reading Yaah's posts, regardless of what they're about. Glad to see you peeking out of the path forum from time to time

Aaah! Bright light! Bright light! Gizmo no like! Bright light bad for Mogwais!

They're so cute...
GremlinBookGiftOfMogwai.jpg

Ah yes. Americans are very sensitive. You think you're better than me? Wanna step outside? How much good are those book smarts gonna do you no, huh tough guy? I feel bad because I should have studied harder and I'm gonna take it out on you!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where "99" ends and "98" begins on the old USMLE 2-digit scoring abacus?

You must be a great test taker, but definitely has some intelligence disorder when it comes to social life. In several months, you'll think back and tell yourself: man, I completely wasted my time getting pissed off and justifying myself to a bunch of anonymous people on an internet forum. First you posted your score unsolicited, and then you went to great lengths to argue against anonymous internet users who doubt your score, then you start a new post about this same topic after the moderators closed it. 3 :idea: moves. Go spend happy times with your friends and family, or go read a book or something.

bigfrank said:
Actually, I still stand by my postings. Skip Intro is a Caribbean Medical Student who hates anyone with a board score higher than his.

"Tacky?" Jalby, I don't think so in any way. I think "tacky" is calling someone's post "bull****" for mentioning their score in a forum that is used almost exclusively for determining one's competiveness for a certain residency and/or program. I included it for later reference when I was going to be asking the competiveness about certain programs (i.e., MGH).

Again, WHO CARES what score I got on some anonymous forum? I mentioned it in a friggin' 1.5 line post. Someone should have answered the OP's question and moved on, not tried to caress their fragile ego by denying that it could be true.

cbc said:
You must be a great test taker, but definitely has some intelligence disorder when it comes to social life. In several months, you'll think back and tell yourself: man, I completely wasted my time getting pissed off and justifying myself to a bunch of anonymous people on an internet forum. First you posted your score unsolicited, and then you went to great lengths to argue against anonymous internet users who doubt your score, then you start a new post about this same topic after the moderators closed it. 3 :idea: moves. Go spend happy times with your friends and family, or go read a book or something.

Thank YOU for taking time to defend your position. I should offer you similar advice. ;)

Actually, I am not a good testtaker by trade. 29 MCAT. But a nice assumption. Did you feel better thinking, "oh, this guy is one of those guys who always scores well." Or do you feel better now?

Finally, regarding my social life, this is funny: I am actually one of the most liked people in my class. Always a joke to tell, never brag, compliment others, don't embarrass anyone on the wards, etc. It is also rather funny how you, by challenging my social skills, have attempted to indirectly elevate yours and imply how inherently likeable you are. We're all very impressed.

Finally, my posts are on here in complete good taste when it comes to my family. I have never neglected them for some stupid anonymous forum. I will be willing to bet that I have spent more time with my family in the last 2 years than you have. Period.

Please, RELAX and take life without a gavel in your hand.

Cheers,

bigfrank said:
Thank YOU for taking time to defend your position. I should offer you similar advice. ;)

Actually, I am not a good testtaker by trade. 29 MCAT. But a nice assumption. Did you feel better thinking, "oh, this guy is one of those guys who always scores well." Or do you feel better now?

Finally, regarding my social life, this is funny: I am actually one of the most liked people in my class. Always a joke to tell, never brag, compliment others, don't embarrass anyone on the wards, etc. It is also rather funny how you, by challenging my social skills, have attempted to indirectly elevate yours and imply how inherently likeable you are. We're all very impressed.

Finally, my posts are on here in complete good taste when it comes to my family. I have never neglected them for some stupid anonymous forum. I will be willing to bet that I have spent more time with my family in the last 2 years than you have. Period.

Cheers,

1. How can you have a social life when all you do is log on SDN and submit rebuttals

2. People who go out of their way to emphasize how well liked and popular they are are often mistaken.

3. Give your classmate back their score report, I still don't believe you

tom_jones said:
1. How can you have a social life when all you do is log on SDN and submit rebuttals

2. People who go out of their way to emphasize how well liked and popular they are are often mistaken.

3. Give your classmate back their score report, I still don't believe you

1. I might ask you the same question.
2. That is a great point. Have you found this experience to be a personal one? I'm betting yea.
3. That's great logic. I know that people carry their score reports around and love to give them to people. Perhaps your score was low enough that you wanted it to disappear; however, a person with a 267 would probably want to keep it intact. Does this makes sense to you? Hope so. :laugh:

Tom Jones, that is a great name! How did your boards go? Bet I can guess. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, below are 2 more of your posts I quickly found...Wow, you have proven yourself before to be a class act and you continue to not disappoint!

tom_jones said:
yes but with the high suicide rate their lifetime earning potential is decreased. Many of these people will become dentists, if they can't get into med school

tom_jones said:
I assume the ND in his name stands for Notre Dame, These people are notoriously insecure douchebags.

Wow.

cbc said:
You must be a great test taker, but definitely has some intelligence disorder when it comes to social life.

Ring ring

Pot picks up the phone.

Kettle says :"Hey pot, it's Kettle"

Pot says "Hey Kettle, whassup"

Kettle "I just called to say you are black"

Pot "I am???? Thanks for alerting me to this fact"

Kettle "No problem. That's what friends are for"

And I am a billionaire who owns 50 sports cars and a fanclub consisting of 10,000 female supermodel members.

No longer will I be stooping down to your level by reasoning you. Jalby I suggest you do the same.

bigfrank said:

Cheers,

cbc said:
And I am a billionaire who owns 50 sports cars and a fanclub consisting of 10,000 female supermodel members.

No longer will I be stooping down to your level by reasoning you. Jalby I suggest you do the same.

Me?? Stooping to your level?? Never.

By the way, I havn't seen anymore fake posters from you lately. Gotten to busy???

Status
Not open for further replies.