You got accepted! But now where to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epinerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that acceptances are starting to come in, I'd like to get a conversation started about how everyone is going about choosing their future schools. How exactly do you gauge the quality of a program and whether it will be a good fit for you? How did you even choose the schools you applied to in the first place?
Here are the criteria I'm personally thinking about, in more or less order of importance:
- range and quality of practicum opportunities
- financial considerations (both tuition and cost of living in that city)
- opportunities for international students to work (I'm Canadian)
- research in my field of interest
- course selection
- geography (I would rather live in an interesting urban center close-ish to my family, but I'm not planning on placing too much emphasis on this)

I'm looking forward to hearing from both aspiring and current students!

Members don't see this ad.

to be completely honest this is what guided my decision the most: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ols/top-health-schools/public-health-rankings ....a close second was location (staying close to family and friends)

i think the most important think in your list that you can actually compare across schools is research in your field of interest. basing your choice on this though depends on how strongly you feel about your field of interest. have you done a significant amount of work in the field or do you just think it's "cool"? if it's the latter then i suggest you choose your school based on ranking since that is closely related to the amount of research going on at these places.

The "rankings" can only take you so far. Say you are interested in researching xyz, and you get into a top 3 school vs say a top 10 school. If top 3 school is not strong in it but top 10 school is, why would you go to the school just based on its ranking?

While it may not be feasible, I highly HIGHLY suggest visits to schools. Most schools will have an accepted students day, with other schools allowing you to plan a visit yourself. I know that these visits have helped many prospective students make that difficult decision. If you can narrow it to your top two/three and can financially swing it, make the trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the criteria I'm personally thinking about, in more or less order of importance:
- range and quality of practicum opportunities
- financial considerations (both tuition and cost of living in that city)
- opportunities for international students to work (I'm Canadian)
- research in my field of interest
- course selection
- geography (I would rather live in an interesting urban center close-ish to my family, but I'm not planning on placing too much emphasis on this)

Epinerd, I think your "number 1" of "range and quality of practicum opportunities" is a really smart choice. I'm a current student and that's the same number 1 I had, and is what ultimately made my decision for me, which I'm very happy about. Practicum opportunities can help you to get a foot in the door at an organization you may want to work with in the future (if they know you worked well as a work-study student then they may find you a permanent spot - not always - but I do know of this happening for a number of people), even if you don't want to stay with the organization, practicum opportunities can really bolster your resume and make you a more competitive applicant. The quality of courses and reputation of the school is important, but I think experience plays a huge factor. I've seen the schools you applied to on another thread and the quality of classes is going to be great at any of them. I can also get on board with the rest of your list (and the order) - I'm not Canadian, but that was pretty much the order that mine was last year minus the whole Canadian thing.

I really posted because I wanted to share my thoughts on the use of rankings. I have to respectfully disagree with skinMD about rankings, or rather just clarify the way I think they should be weighted. I only think they are important to a point, if you are choosing between a top 6 ranked school and a school ranked below 15 then, yes, I would (most likely) choose the higher ranked school. But if it's a matter of just a few spots difference then I think ranking shouldn't weigh in as much as other factors. The rankings provided are overall, some of these schools have certain concentrations that are better than others (or concentrations that other schools don't have at all), i.e. just because University of Michigan is ranked higher than Emory it does not mean that Michigan's Global Health or Epi program specifically are better than Emory's, or that UNC's Policy and Management department is better than Harvard's just because it's ranked higher overall (these examples and hypothetical only). Plus, a lot of the rankings are very close. I would examine each school for the things that you are looking for and see how they rank for you.

I just noticed that JMM wrote something on this while I was typing this in, I agree with his/her comment on rankings!

I think you are on the right track! Good luck with your decisions!

To me, the rankings do seem more or less useless, but they did serve an important purpose for me at the beginning of apps. At first, to me the vast majority of accredited public health schools were located at reputable, if not fantastic, universities, and at first it was difficult for me, because I was unfamiliar with public health education, to make a decision on which schools to apply (who knew Yale would be down at #13, or that USF is ranked higher than UF?). The rankings essentially were my first impressions, and as such, should be taken with a grain of salt, but: first impressions are still first impressions.

With that said, my decision will be based on mostly the same set of factors as epinerd. However, cost may be raised above practicum/research opportunities; the top schools all seem to have quality, competitive practicum opportunities available. As JMM051 suggested, visiting schools is a great idea, and I will most definitely do that during spring break.

To me, the most important things were length of program, the alumni/networking base, and future jobs in my area of interest. I only applied to JHSPH because it is an 11 month program and it doesn't hurt that it is ranked number 1. The length was important because I am older and plus I already hold a doctoral level degree. I didn't want to spend that much additional time getting the knowledge that I seek. I visited during their open house two years ago and was truly impressed by how happy the students are to be there as well as the wide variety of international and domestic opportunities for the practicum experience.

To approach it from a different perspective, I'm hoping to pursue a PhD right after my masters, so my goal is to find a school with as strong of a faculty/research fit as possible in order to work closely with potential mentors and advisors. Financial support is important, though it likely won't be a dealbreaker unless it's a matter of full support from my second choice school vs little/no support from the first choice. The other factors are tiebreakers but not as critical.

Echoing everyone below, visiting schools seems to be the most important way to get the inside perspective on whether a school is right for you. Reading past reports on visits by other applicants makes it clear that there's so much to an institution that's difficult to access without actually getting to engage with faculty members, current students, and the surrounding area. I would go one step further and suggest that regardless of financial constraints you should be certain to visit your top choices, especially if most of us will be investing tens of thousands of dollars in this endeavor.

to be completely honest this is what guided my decision the most: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ols/top-health-schools/public-health-rankings ....a close second was location (staying close to family and friends)

i think the most important think in your list that you can actually compare across schools is research in your field of interest. basing your choice on this though depends on how strongly you feel about your field of interest. have you done a significant amount of work in the field or do you just think it's "cool"? if it's the latter then i suggest you choose your school based on ranking since that is closely related to the amount of research going on at these places.

As with all rankings, they serve a little bit of value. But I would be careful with a few of these rankings because of the methodology used (http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...2011/03/14/health-rankings-methodology-2012):

US News said:
All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a 5-point scale: outstanding (5), strong (4), good (3), adequate (2), or marginal (1). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear.

These methodologies contrast quite a bit with the methodologies used for business, medical, dental schools which account for things such as graduation rates, alumni giving rates, placements into job markets, research activities, etc.

An alternative to the USNews rankings are the National Research Council (http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Resdoc/index.htm) which assessed all PhD programs in the country (all SPHs have to have doctoral programs and are part of the assessment). This ranking takes into consideration a number of factors such as faculty, research productivity, student productivity, and school environments with empirical numbers and not just peer assessment.

I specifically did not include ranking in my list. I used ranking when choosing on where to apply, but now I'm considering all the schools on equal footing. I agree with other comments have already said: there's probably not a big difference between say #5 and #6, but maybe more so between #5 and #20.

I agree that visiting schools is really good idea. I'm not sure if I can make it work but I will definitely try.

An alternative to the USNews rankings are the National Research Council (http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Resdoc/index.htm) which assessed all PhD programs in the country (all SPHs have to have doctoral programs and are part of the assessment). This ranking takes into consideration a number of factors such as faculty, research productivity, student productivity, and school environments with empirical numbers and not just peer assessment.

:thumbup: NRC. Although some schools aren't listed, it gives a great overview of useful metrics.

My main determinant is cost. I only applied to 4 schools and am very open to attending any one of them. However, taking 50k+ in loans is absolutely out of the question.

With that being said, I researched extensively the various health management/administration programs in the nation and figured out which ones suit my own interests. Rankings can be important, depending on the field you are going into. For top consulting companies, the higher "prestige" your alma mater, the better chance you have of getting a job.

More importantly, I would look at research opportunities and professorial relationships. Do you want a big or small class size. Do you want to live in a large metropolis or a rural college campus? Speak with former students about internship opportunities between the first and second year. Where do graduates go for employment following school (they should have a list)?

Lastly, just enjoy the process and good luck! Wherever you decide, make the most of the opportunity and you'll do just fine.

-Strong alumni network in hospital administration
-Program that has a good history of alums obtaining admin fellowships
-Cost
-Geographic location
-Local Community
-City with good food

Last edited:
I specifically did not include ranking in my list. I used ranking when choosing on where to apply, but now I'm considering all the schools on equal footing. I agree with other comments have already said: there's probably not a big difference between say #5 and #6, but maybe more so between #5 and #20.

i agree. this is what i meant. one or two spots on the rankings isn't that big of a deal but i would argue that in most cases you should pick a top 5 school over #15. i realize the methodology isnt the most rigorous but perception of the school is very important and that's exactly what the rankings get at. Rather than dismissing rankings right away you should consider what qualities the school has that makes it regarded so highly within the field.

I think I have a pretty obvious decision to make... but my finances (and parents) are trying to convince me otherwise.

I've been accepted to the MSPH at Tulane and feel good about getting accepted to MPH in epi at UAMS. Pro's and con's...

Tulane
Pros:
Ranked #13
Great course selection for my interests
More research within my interests
Can be finished in one year
I'll make the assumption there's plenty of good food...

Cons:
COST.
Heard they're not particularly known for financial aid...?
My dad wants me to get a gun (and we live in a city with possibly the highest crime rate in Arkansas). :rolleyes:
Recently took up cycling... heard New Orleans isn't the greatest place for this.

UAMS
Pros:
Have some connections there already
Loads cheaper
Really small class sizes
Little Rock has a great and growing cycling community

Cons:
Ranked #30
One faculty member does research with infectious disease...
Course selection is a bit sparse and not specifically targeted towards my interests

I think I have a pretty obvious decision to make... but my finances (and parents) are trying to convince me otherwise.

Tulane
Pros:
Ranked #13

Cons:
COST.
My dad wants me to get a gun (and we live in a city with possibly the highest crime rate in Arkansas). :rolleyes:
Recently took up cycling... heard New Orleans isn't the greatest place for this.

UAMS
Pros:
Loads cheaper
Really small class sizes

Cons:
Ranked #30
Course selection is a bit sparse and not specifically targeted towards my interests

It's difficult to not have people 100% supportive of the obvious decision. Let them know it is just over a year and that you really need this experience. Regarding the cycling aspect, that is one of my main public health goals and just try and live close to the school. This won't give you a large commute time with the drivers. You can also be a "car topper" and take your bike out of the city to do long rides.

I don't really respond to every post but I am from Portland, Oregon and unless I decide to move to Amsterdam, I will be moving to a less cycling friendly city. It kind of scared me to think of biking with crazy drivers who don't understand cycling but you need to do your best to get over that fear! I'll read stories on bikeforums.net under their commuting section to understand other obstacles people face. They may have one about New Orleans.

Anyway, congrats and best of luck to you!!

It's difficult to not have people 100% supportive of the obvious decision. Let them know it is just over a year and that you really need this experience. Regarding the cycling aspect, that is one of my main public health goals and just try and live close to the school. This won't give you a large commute time with the drivers. You can also be a "car topper" and take your bike out of the city to do long rides.

I don't really respond to every post but I am from Portland, Oregon and unless I decide to move to Amsterdam, I will be moving to a less cycling friendly city. It kind of scared me to think of biking with crazy drivers who don't understand cycling but you need to do your best to get over that fear! I'll read stories on bikeforums.net under their commuting section to understand other obstacles people face. They may have one about New Orleans.

Anyway, congrats and best of luck to you!!

Thanks for the tips on the cycling! And Portland, huh? I've always wanted to visit because it seems like a place I'd enjoy.

And my parents are difficult because they've never even been to college, and I've been on full ride with stipend for my entire time in undergrad. They've also had financial issues in the past so if I mention loans it provokes this response ---> :scared:

Good luck to you too!

I've been accepted to the MSPH at Tulane and feel good about getting accepted to MPH in epi at UAMS. Pro's and con's...

Tulane
Pros:
Ranked #13

Cons:
COST.

UAMS
Pros:
Loads cheaper
Really small class sizes

Cons:
Ranked #30

Living in New Orleans will totally enrich your life - I've had a lot of friends move there and they are completely in love with it! And it's not the safest ever, but there are definitely safe areas and you'll eat such amazing food and hear such great music.

(Obviously things are much more complicated than that, but just have to add on about how awesome nola is) :D

Good luck with what is a difficult decision!

For anyone interested in Emory who lives near Atlanta or will be coming through there, there's an admissions information session on Friday, Jan 20!

http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/prospective_students/admissions/admissions_events.html

It's not a big event (Visit Emory is the big one), it's just for a couple of hours, there will be panel of students answering questions (including myself), as well as one of the directors from a department (the department varies at each information session and I'm not sure who it is for this one), and then campus tours.

If you happen to be in the area you should consider coming, we'd love to see you there. It's also a great alternative to scheduling an individual visit: there won't be a lot of potential students there so you'll still get individualized attention, but there will be more resources there to answer your questions than if you just came on a random day. Additionally, there will be people there who can set you up to talk to faculty or staff in your individual department. If you can't make this one, there are a couple more before decisions are due (again, I realize it's not feasible for most people to visit, but if you were planning come anyway, one of these days would be a good one to come: Jan 20, Feb 17, April 20).

Good luck with your decisions!

I actually don't think it's quite as clear cut as you might think.

One of the best questions you can ask yourself is, "what are my career goals?". I would say for the vast majority of students, you can likely get the experience you want anywhere you go. It may not be the most amazing experience in the world, but you still get 95% of what you need to go where you want to go.

If you have very ambitious career goals (such as continuing on in highly competitive fields such as research), going to a bigger name school would be beneficial.

The financial aspect isn't inconsequential. If you don't have to take out $60-80k in loans (+$20k+ in interest over the repayment process), I would strongly consider it.

All that said, I've had friends that *LOVED* Tulane. NOLA is a very cool place to be (even if it's way too hot), and there's no other place in the country like it. And a classmate of mine recently became a professor there, so I'd recommend it even more :D

Good luck with your decision!