You decide where I apply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pwned

derp
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-Trad - 3/8ths hispanic - so can i claim hispanic? - 32 y.o. - have some unique circumstances (grew up in VA) after H.S. pursued some professional sports opportunities abroad for 3.5 years before finally giving up...started my own company out in Los Angeles that has gone down the toilet b/c of the economy...I basically had fun and enjoyed life for 6 years out in Cali. Met a woman had a child...decided I needed a more secure life and always wanted to be an MD in hs. Joined military reserves to get free tuition and now 3.5 years on from that I am a resident of South Carolina and graduate of U - South Carolina. Where should I be applying outside of SC schools & VA schools?...SC resident, strong ties to VA, lived in CA for years also.

Stats:

Econ BS -
3.65 GPA
3.53 BCPM

29 MCAT - 10B 9P 10V

200 + hours volunteering
100 + hours shadowing
no research

no clue if I can claim hispanic (mom is 3/4ths) Imagine if i do my life becomes much easier.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can. Lucky bastard.

3.65 GPA
3.53 BCPM

29 MCAT - 10B 9P 10V

200 + hours volunteering
100 + hours shadowing
no research

no clue if I can claim hispanic (mom is 3/4ths) Imagine if i do my life becomes much easier.
Your stats are decent but your ECs are on the thin side (though the shadowing is fine, and if the volunteering was all patient exposure, that's OK too, and you have something substantive to put for Sports). Research isn't required, but what about Leadership (maybe starting a company, depending), Teaching, nonmedical community service, Artistic Endeavors, Hobbies?

You can check two boxes for racial background. It wold help if you are fluent in Spanish and have some Latino cultural identity/involvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are decent but your ECs are on the thin side (though the shadowing is fine, and if the volunteering was all patient exposure, that's OK too, and you have something substantive to put for Sports). Research isn't required, but what about Leadership (maybe starting a company, depending), Teaching, nonmedical community service, Artistic Endeavors, Hobbies?

You can check two boxes for racial background. It wold help if you are fluent in Spanish and have some Latino cultural identity/involvement.

You can factor military training and leadership experience towards strengthening your ECs, especially if you are an officer or NCO.

I supervised a crew of 3 guys that worked on fighter repair...i'm not an officer but was the crew chief for a group of 4 of us.

Sports actually consumed most of my existence for several years. Coming out of high school I had D1 full athletic scholarship offers to places like Vanderbilt and William and Mary but opted to go to Spain and try my luck professionally over there. Pissed my parents off severely but I don't have any regrets trying to make it as a pro. I did actually spend a year playing professionally in Costa Rica. I would think that would actually stand out to them a bit...3 of the guys from my club team growing up are playing pro now, 2 in MLS and one over in Norway.

Is research required?

I figured I'd just come across to the admin's as a guy that excelled athletically/got paid to play a sport overseas, albeit for only 2 yrs., and since then joined the military and still plays a lot of sports. I want do sports medicine so I feel like I have a fairly defined identity of what I'm brining to the table. Let me know if there's anything I should be doing over the next few months to boost my chances!