You can practice anywhere right??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cariesarebad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a a little situation here. I'm pretty sure eventually will end up back on the east coast where I'm from and just got accepted to UMDNJ. I've also been accepted at UMinn but I've been having second thoughts. Costs aside, if I know I want to practice in NJ should I just go to NJ even though some people might think the UMinn is a better school? Is the only thing I will have to do in order practice in NJ is take their boards? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a a little situation here. I'm pretty sure eventually will end up back on the east coast where I'm from and just got accepted to UMDNJ. I've also been accepted at UMinn but I've been having second thoughts. Costs aside, if I know I want to practice in NJ should I just go to NJ even though some people might think the UMinn is a better school? Is the only thing I will have to do in order practice in NJ is take their boards? Help!

It really doesn't matter where you attend school and ultimately want to practice. Once you have an idea of where you want to go you just take whatever national board they accept, WREB or NERB, and then get your state license.

It really doesn't matter where you attend school and ultimately want to practice. Once you have an idea of where you want to go you just take whatever national board they accept, WREB or NERB, and then get your state license.

the WREB and NERBs are not national boards, they're regional boards. NJ requires the NERB exam and the school will cater their curriculum to it. I'm not sure what Minn caters to, but either way it shouldn't be too big of a deal pass the NERB if you choose Minn. From what I hear, the NERB isn't as difficult as some of the others.

As far as what school you should choose, don't worry about what other people think the better school is. Both will train you to become a competent dentist. Choose the school based on price, location, and how happy the students' seemed. That was my criteria when choosing a dental school & I couldn't be happier.

jb!:)