You all are awesome!! Need some Step 1 advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the advice I got on here previously, and I'm definitely glad I did. But, I need a little more help.

I have 1 week 6 days until my test. I've been through most of FA once (everything except Embryo and Immuno, which I'll finish tomorrow). For the remainder of my study time, I plan on just reading FA and doing UWorld.

Here's the problem: I've read BRS Path, BRS Physio, HY Neuro, and CMMRS. I probably only remember about 30-40% of what was in those books. It just atrophied with time. All it did was make FA more understandable because I'm like "Oh yeah, I remember that from BRS" when I read FA.

I feel like the only thing I'm going to know cold when I take Step 1 is FA. I'm going to read it 2 more times, hopefully.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you should definitely spend > 80% of your time memorizing details in FA, if you have only gone through it once.

Focus on biochemistry (esp 1 enzyme defects) and pharmacology in each section.

It is pretty natural to forget a good chunk of what you read. Just keep it to the minimal amount of sources possible and hammer in the details till you're sick of them...and then hammer them in some more.

DIT recommends 5-7 days before your test you spend most of your time going through First Aid, since it is the most concise and high yield resource there is.

Yea, I kind of followed the DIT plan, but I disagree a bit with him saying to not do questions or to keep it at like 25 a day. I don't think you should spend ungodly amounts of time reviewing questions, but I do think that doing them periodically throughout the day is a nice change of pace form staring at first aid and helps to consolidate information a bit. I might only do questions you got wrong or marked, but there is still benefit from doing it.

Of course, I've been doing questions every day for so long now that I truly feel off if I don't do something. It doesn't have to be uworld, but it needs to be something otherwise my brain goes from thinking to just staring at a page and telling myself I'm learning, when I'm really just staring at a page.