york EM externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeDO2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone here know about the summer externship in emergency medicine at york hospital? read the info online but curious if anyone had an experience with it

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you first-hand experience about it, cuz I didn't go through it myself (I'm a resident there). But I can tell ya that we get more and more applications from all across the country every year, and the feedback we got from the students was phenomenal. If you want, I can put you in touch with our Administrative Assistant and/or the Attending who runs it, both for their feedback as well as possibly giving you email info for past attendees.

I'd recommend it. I don't have any other experience other than interviewing there prior to matching. I honestly didn't expect much, or expect to have a strong desire to train there.

It ended up 3rd on my list. PD seemed great, faculty also... Not as many residency programs to fight for over certain procedures. Seemed like there were less politics in a semi "traditional" academic institution but that was just a brief impression. Recently became level 1 from level 2. Most of the residents seemed happy. Lost of families, fewer single residents. Yea, it's in the middle of PA, but I wasn't looking for a big city anyway. I've never heard anything bad about York. It seemed to be a nice program that is overlooked purely for it's geographic location.

I'm sure some York residents can give you more info. More blunt trauma vs penetrating, but most med students overemphasize the value of trauma exposure.

I'm the US fellow there right now, and I was a resident at York before that. I've instructed for the last few years and worked with students in this program, as I'm sure I will this year. This is a great program, we get really good feedback from people and our application list grows every year. You get really good didactics and great clinical exposure as well. Looks good on your CV too. PM me if you'd like and I can tell you more, or connect you with the person in charge of the program.