Yoga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you level I's gonna do in your summer before level II? I have summer I.V. Rotation beginning July 26, so I'm gonna try and work fulltime until my rotation begins. I'm thinking about taking a yoga class cause my stress level is jumping these days. I gotta plan pledge events for my frat too, but that should be fun.

What're y'all doin?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting work full time at Eckerd on May 3rd. My last final is on the 29th and I'll enjoy the 3 days off. Sometime this summer, my store will be converted to a CVS. The remodeling noise is going to suck.

dgroulx said:
I'm starting work full time at Eckerd on May 3rd. My last final is on the 29th and I'll enjoy the 3 days off. Sometime this summer, my store will be converted to a CVS. The remodeling noise is going to suck.

Dana, you are a first year pharm student at UF? How do you like it? Are you in Gainesville or at one of the satellite campuses? If you don't mind, let us all know what it's like to be in pharm school! Are you interning at Eckerds? How tough was it to get the position? Sorry for all the questions.. just think it'd be interesting to hear what it's like to be 'in the trenches'!

Members don't see this ad :)
GatorRX said:
Dana, you are a first year pharm student at UF? How do you like it? Are you in Gainesville or at one of the satellite campuses? If you don't mind, let us all know what it's like to be in pharm school! Are you interning at Eckerds? How tough was it to get the position? Sorry for all the questions.. just think it'd be interesting to hear what it's like to be 'in the trenches'!

I'm just finishing my 1st year at the St. Pete campus. Honestly, I don't find school that enjoyable. There is a huge amount of material to learn for each class and requires good time management to stay up on everything. This semester seems pretty easy, because I got into a set schedule. That's important to do, if you choose a distance site. Many students fall behind 15-20 lectures then scramble to catch up. I enjoyed school when I was getting my undergrad, now I'm just sick of it and want to graduate. That is enough motivation for me not to fall behind.

UF hosts an annual job fair/internship fair. Most major employers come and you can schedule interviews in advance. There are lots of internship jobs and everyone who wanted to work got in somewhere. My campus hosted its own, in addition to the one in Gainesville. I had several interviews, but was most impressed with Eckerd and CVS. I didn't care for Walgreens at all - too impersonal. CVS has no stores in the area where I live, so I ended up going with Eckerd.

PM me if you have any specific questions about school or classes.

dgroulx said:
CVS has no stores in the area where I live, so I ended up going with Eckerd.
Are the Florida Eckerd stores all turning to CVS stores? I know that CVS bought all or most of the Eckerd stores, but I was unclear if they were going to leave any with the "Eckerd" name or actually convert them to CVS stores. Eckerd pays interns VERY well ($17.50/hr first year). CVS has been known to pay their pharmacists very well ($43-45/hr as staff). Is it possible that we'll get the best of both worlds? Somehow, I doubt it. :D

dgroulx said:
I'm just finishing my 1st year at the St. Pete campus. Honestly, I don't find school that enjoyable. There is a huge amount of material to learn for each class and requires good time management to stay up on everything. This semester seems pretty easy, because I got into a set schedule. That's important to do, if you choose a distance site. Many students fall behind 15-20 lectures then scramble to catch up. I enjoyed school when I was getting my undergrad, now I'm just sick of it and want to graduate. That is enough motivation for me not to fall behind.

UF hosts an annual job fair/internship fair. Most major employers come and you can schedule interviews in advance. There are lots of internship jobs and everyone who wanted to work got in somewhere. My campus hosted its own, in addition to the one in Gainesville. I had several interviews, but was most impressed with Eckerd and CVS. I didn't care for Walgreens at all - too impersonal. CVS has no stores in the area where I live, so I ended up going with Eckerd.

PM me if you have any specific questions about school or classes.

Thanks Dana! Please check your PM.

jdpharmd? said:
Are the Florida Eckerd stores all turning to CVS stores? I know that CVS bought all or most of the Eckerd stores, but I was unclear if they were going to leave any with the "Eckerd" name or actually convert them to CVS stores. Eckerd pays interns VERY well ($17.50/hr first year). CVS has been known to pay their pharmacists very well ($43-45/hr as staff). Is it possible that we'll get the best of both worlds? Somehow, I doubt it. :D

All the Eckerd stores in the southeast get a name change to CVS. The other Eckerds were bought by Brooks and will retain the Eckerd name.

Eckerd started in St. Petersburg Florida, back in the 1950's. So Florida has more Eckerd stores than anywhere else. Eckerd made a lot of donations to help the Tampa Bay community. I doubt that CVS will carry on that tradition.

I only make $9 per hour as an intern, but that goes up to $11 next year. CVS pays $13 per hour, so hopefully I'll get a raise.

dgroulx said:
All the Eckerd stores in the southeast get a name change to CVS.

That should be interesting. Here in Dunedin, they just built and opened (in the past year) an Eckerd and a CVS right across the street from one another. heh It'll be kind of...pointless, to me, to have two CVSs so close to each other.

FutureRxGal said:
That should be interesting. Here in Dunedin, they just built and opened (in the past year) an Eckerd and a CVS right across the street from one another. heh It'll be kind of...pointless, to me, to have two CVSs so close to each other.

They will close down the Eckerds. It's pointless to remodel it into a CVS. I live up in Pasco County in Land O' Lakes and I'll be interning in Hudson. There's only one CVS in Pasco and it's in New Port Richey. They don't have any stores in Hernando County either. That's hard to believe, with the huge senior population in Spring Hill.

FutureRxGal said:

I saw the same thing about a block from my apartment. They finished building a CVS about 5 months ago and in a month or so they'll be finished building an Eckerd right across the street.

Yea for me, I just got an E-mail that I got one of the Walgreen's summer internships, so maybe i'll do that if they let me cut it short for my IV rotation at County.

Only half serious question: is it ethical to list an internship on your CV that you've been awarded but declined?

Side note: what Dana said is right on, some of the Eckerd stores were bought by CVS and some by the Canadian company, Brooks, so I don't think you'll see a CVS across the street from a CVS :lol: Our stores in SC are keeping the name Eckerd (but hopefully will update their abysmal technology!

jd - $17.50????? Where is this, I never made that as an intern!!!! I got the shaft!

I'm working part-time still at the hospital this summer, part-time at Eckerd (where I used to work) and completing my community rotation at an independent pharmacy.

Triangulation - yoga, only have done it a couple time and give it :thumbup: :thumbup: for relaxation!

spacecowgirl said:

jd - $17.50????? Where is this, I never made that as an intern!!!! I got the shaft!
It's in the Phoenix valley. I'm at $15/hr as a 1st year with another company. I'll hit 17.50 in May or June ("2nd year"). Interns are paid pretty well around here. I don't know of anyone in retail making less than $14/hr. :thumbup:

Triangulation said:
I'm thinking about taking a yoga class cause my stress level is jumping these days.

I prefer pilates. ;)

All I know is that girls who do pilates have off-the-hook bodies!!! That stuff is nuts.

Oh yeah. Nice ending to my dilemma. So, i will be able to accept the walgreen's summer internship and complete my I.V. rotation. The internship runs from 5/17 to 8/6, and my iv rot begins 7/26 so there will only be two weeks of overlap (which means only two weeks of 60 hr weeks or w.e.)

Now if they can just get me out of my home store to one closer to pasadena!!!

Since we're being all bloggy n stuff, so i go to my frat's banquet which was hella cool and I get this award for most active pledge w/the most enthusiasm, committment, yada yada. Then i get this call from the girl i'm seeing. It lands up beinga serious call so i gotta leave the banquet hall. It lands up being an extended serious call, so I'm out there for like 45 mins. I come back and everyone's giving me weird looks and i check my phone to see that one of the officers had called me while i was outside. Turns out, not ten minutes after getting my award for being the most committed pledge, I missed the installation ceremony for me as an officer for next year. They were like 'wtf!!!' They had to swear me in separately. i kinda smoothed it over, but felt kinda bad.

I guess you should just turn your phone off, but i kinda couldnt'. No real moral to the story.

Yoga holds that a person’s health condition depends on himself. It lays emphasis on physical, mental and emotional balance and development of a sense of harmony with all of life. There’s nothing mystical about it.Nor is it external. Rather it is an inner faculty. Yoga endeavors to re-establish inner balance through a variety of ways, ranging from the gross to the subtle. Which is why it is considered a holistic art.Rather than prescribe treatments, yoga therapy encourages awareness. Through age-old yogic techniques, we get to know ourselves better.From that knowledge, comes the ability to more easily accept and adapt to change, resulting in enhanced well-being in body, mind, heart and spirit. Hence its applicability to almost all chronic conditions.

What approach does yoga therapy take?

Contrary to modern medical science that tries to identify the pathogenic factor (be it a toxic substance, a micro-organism, or metabolic disorder) then eliminate it, Yoga takes a totally different point of view. It holds that if a person is sick there must be a deeper reason behind it – that illness doesn’t arise by chance. It is the result of an imbalance, a disruption in the body-mind complex that creates the condition. Here the symptoms, the pathogenic factors, are not the issue. Yoga believes that the root cause lies somewhere else.
yoga therapy
DF_yoga1_325.jpg
:scared::idea::sleep::thumbdown:laugh::luck: