Yo do we need to pay ADA to release scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobe08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for all schools or just one aadsas school which will suffice? Last year, I only applied to 5 schools (all five marked on my original DAT). This year I want to apply to more than 5. Do I have to pay additionally for each of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

For the last time, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also still confused about this process. I called both AADSAS and ADA. My understanding is that all you have to do is send your scores to at least one school in order for it to be released to AADSAS. However, when I took the test, I did not check any schools to receive my schools b/c I took the DAT last summer (a year before I am suppose to apply). Because I did not check off any schools at the time I took the DAT, my DAT is stilled sealed and AADSAS still hasn't received it yet even though I took the DAT September 2010. I recently just bought one official report and sent it to a school. My scores should appear on AADSAS soon if my understanding of the process is correct.

To anyone that is about to take the DAT, just check off all scores when they ask what schools to receive your scores because it doesn't cost anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
When you get your DAT confirmation, check off every school you may even be interested in. That way they'll get the ADA official report. Don't wait until after you take the DAT.

i thought i had this process done but i am now second-guessing myself. ok, AADSAS has my official DAT scores. now, on my dental school designations page, i have added some new schools that i did not originally check off when i registered for the DAT (should have just check all of them but oh well). my question is, will i have to update ADA (pay ADA) in order for these new schools to also receive my DAT scores.

the only reason i am asking is because an AADSAS representative really threw me off, because everything she told me was opposite in regards to what was written in the AADSAS FAQ page about the whole DAT score sending process.

When will my scores be reported to the dental schools?
Official scores will be transmitted to the dental schools requested on the DAT application. If the schools you requested participate in a standardized application service, e.g.,
the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) or the Texas
Medical and Dental Schools application Service (TMDSAS), the scores will be available
to the schools directly and through the application service. Schools selected at the time
of application are included in the DAT fee regardless of the number of schools selected.
Scores will be reported to the standardized application services approximately two to
three weeks after your testing appointment. The application service will require
additional time to post the scores.
as long as you chose ONE school that participates in AADSAS the scores will be available to ALL schools that participate in AADSAS

grrrrrrr I paid $300 to ADA for them to "release" my scores. The AADSAS lady told me that I need to and an ADA representative yelled at me that they would not release my scores until I paid. I guess the only way we'll every know is if the people who didn't pay don't get a notice from schools telling them that they can't see their DAT scores.

DAT Scores Imported Directly into ADEA AADSAS Application
Applicants no longer self-report DAT scores in their ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS will obtain your official DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association’s Testing Services Center and will import them directly into your application. If you take the DAT after your ADEA AADSAS application has been sent to your designated dental schools, an updated application, reflecting your DAT scores will be forwarded to schools just as soon as the scores are received.

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Applicants/Pages/What'sNewofADEAAADSAS.aspx

grrrrrrr I paid $300 to ADA for them to "release" my scores. The AADSAS lady told me that I need to and an ADA representative yelled at me that they would not release my scores until I paid. I guess the only way we'll every know is if the people who didn't pay don't get a notice from schools telling them that they can't see their DAT scores.

Yeah, it's really confusing and they are really vague about only needing to choose ONE school in order for the scores to be released to AADSAS (Only have to do this if you didn't choose any schools to receive your scores at the time you took the DAT). When you click official scores on your AADSAS application page on the right hand side, it should show your DAT scores. You should be fine if you see your scores posted. My scores are still not posted but I only paid to send my official report to one school (in order to release my scores to AADSAS) a couple days ago. I'm just hoping it gets posted soon.

*Please note that I am not sure at all if this information is correct*

Last edited by a moderator:
i was under the impression that your scores would not get posted, only the dat taken and date received. anybody want to give their insights?

Yeah, it's really confusing and they are really vague about only needing to choose ONE school in order for the scores to be released to AADSAS (Only have to do this if you didn't choose any schools to receive your scores at the time you took the DAT). When you click official scores on your AADSAS application page on the right hand side, it should show your DAT scores. You should be fine if you see your scores posted. My scores are still not posted but I only paid to send my official report to one school (in order to release my scores to AADSAS) a couple days ago. I'm just hoping it gets posted soon.

i was under the impression that your scores would not get posted, only the dat taken and date received. anybody want to give their insights?

Oh, I'm not too sure. I assume it gets posted. Sorry if that's wrong.

While they will send your scores with your AADSAS application, some school say they specifically want the scores sent from ADA. For example in the instructions for Midwestern it says:

"Send these materials directly to the dental school At the Same Time you send AADSAS materials:

Official DAT Score Report from ADA"

So it seems like in this case, if you hadn't checked Midwestern when sending your scores, you'd have to go back and pay the $25 to your scores sent there.

You DO NOT have to send you scores to individual schools. AADSAS does that for you.

I applied to Midwestern last year, and all I did was fill out AADSAS and they sent my scores to them and every other school I applied to.

@iralex-you DAT scores are NOT posted on the AADSAS website. I don't know why, but they aren't. When mine were received by AADSAS last year, it said they were received, but they were never displayed.

You DO NOT have to send you scores to individual schools. AADSAS does that for you.

I applied to Midwestern last year, and all I did was fill out AADSAS and they sent my scores to them and every other school I applied to.

@iralex-you DAT scores are NOT posted on the AADSAS website. I don't know why, but they aren't. When mine were received by AADSAS last year, it said they were received, but they were never displayed.

I took the DAT a week ago and selected that all schools receive my DAT score. Am I correct in assuming that I do not need to call ADA to have the score released on my application? ADA should automatically update that I've taken the DAT on my application in a few weeks right?

I took the DAT a week ago and selected that all schools receive my DAT score. Am I correct in assuming that I do not need to call ADA to have the score released on my application? ADA should automatically update that I've taken the DAT on my application in a few weeks right?

You didn't need to select all of the schools, but AADSAS will automatically send your scores to the schools that you indicated on your application. You don't need to do anything else as long as you have paid your application fee.

You didn't need to select all of the schools, but AADSAS will automatically send your scores to the schools that you indicated on your application. You don't need to do anything else as long as you have paid your application fee.

If what you said above is true, why hasn't my score been received by AADSAS yet even though I took the DAT September 2010 and paid the application fee? However, my situation is unique because when I took the DAT, I didn't check off a single school to receive my scores.

If what you said above is true, why hasn't my score been received by AADSAS yet even though I took the DAT September 2010 and paid the application fee? However, my situation is unique because when I took the DAT, I didn't check off a single school to receive my scores.

This is directly off the AADSAS site:

DAT Scores Imported Directly into ADEA AADSAS Application
Applicants no longer self-report DAT scores in their ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS will obtain your official DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association’s Testing Services Center and will import them directly into your application. If you take the DAT after your ADEA AADSAS application has been sent to your designated dental schools, an updated application, reflecting your DAT scores will be forwarded to schools just as soon as the scores are received.

http://www.adea.org/dental_education...DEAAADSAS.aspx

I took my DAT the October before applying and it still took them a couple weeks to get my DAT score for whatever reason.

As mentioned above;
as long as you chose ONE school that participates in AADSAS the scores will be available to ALL schools that participate in AADSAS
I think... just my opinion you should pay $25 bucks for one school that participates in AADSAS...

Good luck buddy let us know if you resolve it.