Yikes! I'm having another baby!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazydiamond

Non-trad with 2 kids
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old as it is and finally felt I had a handle on things enough to start getting the ball rolling on applying. I'm starting a volunteering gig, studying for the MCAT, etc, with the intention of applying next year.

Well, I just found out I'm pregnant and due in March. I honestly thing I'm going to have to push my app back another year. Maybe not though, I'm not sure. If I don't, baby will be 18 mos when/if I matriculate in 2009. If I push it back a year, he/she will be nearly 2.5 years. That might make it more manageable, I think. Since my current one is nearly 2.5 and I feel okay with it now, but wouldn't have when she was 18 mos.

Not really looking for advice, unless someone's BTDT :) Not really venting either, because I'm more than thrilled with the pregnancy. Just more like sharing. . .since we're all non-trads here and I'll be even more "non-trad" after. I've got no problem putting all this off for another year, heck I've waited long enough I can wait 1 more year. But I'll take it as it comes since I never know, I might be ready applying next year just the same. We'll see!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. Things have a way of working out. :)

Congratulations.

My wife was set to start Law School and we found out we were expecting and the due date was the first day of her first year class. Needeless to say it was delayed. She planned to wait until that baby was two to start again but lightning struck again 16 months after the first one was born so it got delayed again...but in hind sight, Katrina would have delayed that year anyway. Now that baby is almost two but I'm in Med School and we can't do both so she's going for her masters and waiting for me to finish before going for the JD. She's ten years younger than me.

I guess what I'm saying is "life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." (John Lennon) Maybe you can investigate the possibility of applying as you had planned but then if you get accpted, getting a differment for the year you need to raise your child. I've heard this happens for various important reasons and raising a child seems pretty important to me.

Good luck and again CONGRATS.

Members don't see this ad :)
SO, I have been there with two children when I started medical school. I totally agree with you that it's much easier with a toddler than and semi-infant. I think it's a LOT easier to stay home with the babies when they are babies and enjoy them in the that first 1-2 years. Plus you never know if you are going to have complications that lay you up like bedrest/C-section/extra surgery. Did all that too. My kids were 2 and 5 when I started med school. It was the BEST way to go. One started kindergarten and the other only had to be in daycare for 2 days a week since my husband worked a great schedule for us. I think you are wise to wait to do the med school thing. That alone is exhausting and with babies - NO way. I would apply anyway early on and then post-pone your acceptace for the next year so you would have that acceptance without stressing when you feel down to the wire in the application process. That way if you get a reject then you can turn around like I did an re-apply right away. I was rejected say on April 20 and I resubmitted on June1st and got in. Good luck.

Congrats! I agree with the others: wait to apply. You're not going to be a trad student anyway, and it's more important to see to your family right now. Med school will still be there waiting when you're ready in another year or two. :luck: to you. :)

Enjoy your baby and pregnancy now, as Q said, med school will still be there in a year. I planned to start medical school in 2002 and here I am today still studying for the MCAT and 3 yummie kids later. I have a 5 year old, starting Kindergarten in 3 weeks :)eek::scared:...sooooo nervous!) a 3 year old (will be in pre-school 3x/week) and a 9 month old, which will be with me until she's ready for pre-school (~2 1/2 y). In the meanwhile I am retaking the MCAT (planning to take in April 08) since I didn't do so well the last time (due to lots and lots of bathroom vomit trips while taking the test:oops:), while keeping the house semi-clean, cooking.... and lets not forget the endless loads of laundry. Its pretty tough but you do what you have to do. I plan to start, if accepted in 2009. My kids will be old enough to feed and wipe their own behinds:D so hopefully a little better.

Congrats!!!

Good luck! I feel a kinship with you, as I have a one-year-old and am considering medical school. In fact, I must say I admire your initiative.

If you wait to start school, I will still be starting later than you, since I plan to have more kids as well. Like that makes you feel any less anxious.

When the time is right you'll know it. Prayers and best wishes. :)

Well, I'm there right now. I'm pregnant, due in a few weeks and applying at the same time. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old, and this will be our last. My plan was to apply last year but we decided to have one more baby, so everything was just postponed a year. So I'm staying home with him for a year, then we will have a nanny here. I'd say apply next year, and see how you feel. If you don't think that you're ready to leave the baby, then postpone your admission. If you are ready to get out of the house, then you have that option also. For me it's pretty easy because we already have a nanny, and my husband works from home, so I don't feel like we are abandoning the baby. He will still have a full time parent.