Yet another: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xsonixs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've spent some time finding out what I want to do and I finally realized that Public Health a career in Public Health would be something I could see myself doing for a long long time. That being said, what chances do you think I would have with my stats below. Any schools you might suggest?

Ugrad GPA (from UC Irvine): 3.14 (really crappy 1st and 2nd year, then 3.5 and above 3rd and 4th). My very last quarter at UCI, I pulled a 4.0 YAY.

GRE: 530V 620Q no writing yet (just took it :( ).

Research: Did toxicology research for 2 consecutive years. I have my name on one publication in FRBM (Free Radical Biology and Medicine) and also presented at my University's research symposium.

Awards: Got a University Research Fellowship and Grant (for UCs, its UROP).

Community Involvements: was on the founding team of a club my 2nd year, secretary 3rd year and president 4th year. We focused on health education in underserved communities and mainly focused on elementary and middle school children. Also did trips to Mexico and some international trips as well.
Also did an MS walk and some other random volunteering.

- also facilitated a few freshman conferences (some focused on leadership, others focused on wellbeing/health/etc).

Work: Was an RA for 2 years, and held jobs all throughout my ugrad time.

Currently working but my work is not related to the public health sector.

Schools I'm applying for:

UC Irvine
UC Davis
UCLA
University of Pittsburgh
Loma Linda University
SDSU
Drexel
Ohio State

Any schools I SHOULD be applying for and any that I shouldn't?

Thanks for any help guys! This forum has been GOLDEN!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a good chance of getting into some of the schools you mentioned (assuming you also have strong LOR's and SOP), but it also depends on what your interests are. I also applied to SDSU, UCLA, and Loma Linda.

However, Tulane, University of Arizona, CSUF, and University of Minnesota were also schools I considered. I was interested in Health behavior related to obesity at the community health level and much of their respective faculty shared similar interests.

I also went to Irvine and had similar stats. Good luck!