Yet, another "Should I retake the OAT?" post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just took the OAT a few days ago. Here is what I got:
QR: 330
RC: 310 (I got pianowned :[[[ lol)
BIO: 290 (everyone was right, it's a bunch of random things!)
GC: 350
OC: 340
PHYS: 290 :)\)
TS: 310
AA: 320

I also have a 3.5 GPA, and I'm hoping to apply to NSU, UHCO, and the optometry school in San Antonio. Does anyone have any input? I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend who got into UHCO with 3.50 GPA and 310 OAT, and this was before the re-calibration. His application was very strong in all other areas. While he was debating on taking it again, he received an interview, so that solved his dilemma.

If you are also strong in all other areas, you might actually be fine. Are you applying for this fall or next? You will not make the deadline for NSU and UHCO if you retake (90-day retesting period). Some people will say UIWSO will probably take you with those scores, but based on what I've heard, they will not like the sub-300 on physics and bio. A few people with similar OAT scores as you have been accepted conditionally, and they are asked to raise their OAT scores. (Sorry, I don't remember where, you'll have to search the forums.)

If you are applying for next year, then by all means, YES, take it again.

I just posted on the "chances" thread. You might find it helpful:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=681524

your scores are really similar to mine

Did you get the reading passage about the piano, like the keys, pitch, frequency, etc.? I think at least it was better than if they gave us a more "science" related passage.

I also got a 290 on the BIO but everything else over 300.

QR 330, RC 340, PHY 340 BIO 290 GCHEM 330 OCHEM 310

AA 320 TS 320

PS- I have gotten an interview with these scores (1 so far but i just sent my scores a few days ago)

Members don't see this ad :)
i got the passage abot the piano :S didn't think the questions were so re-used. and i got a 300 in RC - _ -.

do we have to send in an un-official score report separate to that on Optomcas? I thought if we put down on the form for the OAT which schools we wanted them to send it to, it would do so automatically. Do I have send a supplemental one as well?

your scores are really similar to mine

Did you get the reading passage about the piano, like the keys, pitch, frequency, etc.? I think at least it was better than if they gave us a more "science" related passage.

I also got a 290 on the BIO but everything else over 300.

QR 330, RC 340, PHY 340 BIO 290 GCHEM 330 OCHEM 310

AA 320 TS 320

PS- I have gotten an interview with these scores (1 so far but i just sent my scores a few days ago)

i got the passage abot the piano :S didn't think the questions were so re-used. and i got a 300 in RC - _ -.

do we have to send in an un-official score report separate to that on Optomcas? I thought if we put down on the form for the OAT which schools we wanted them to send it to, it would do so automatically. Do I have send a supplemental one as well?

as long as you put down the school on your oat app, you dont have to send in any unofficial scores, thats just for you.

supplemental app for which school?
every school is different.
so far the only school i know of that doesnt have a secondary is pco.
look into the schools you applied to, bc some schools dont grant interviews until your app is complete and that isnt until after the secondary is turned in.

Yes, as long as you designated your schools when you signed up to take the OAT, they will get their own report. If you forgot to do that, or want to add more schools after the fact, you need to notify the ADA by filling out a form found here: https://www.ada.org/oat/index.html (See Step 5. You do not have to wait until you take your test to fill out the form. The sooner the better!) If you don't remember or are not sure which schools you designated, it should be in your "OAT ELIGIBILITY LETTER" email.

You don't need to send anything to the schools, but since I took my OAT late (late Jan), SCO recommended that I scan and email or fax a copy of my unofficial report so that I could have something in my file in the meantime. I think it takes a few weeks before schools get the official report. I don't know if this makes a difference, since I already self-reported my scores on my application, but I went ahead and took their advice.

o ok. i took mine late too (early jan) and i believe on some other thread it took around 4 weeks for them to send out scores so hopefully they have reached the schools for now. thanks for clearing that up guys. :)