Yet another residency thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKnox49

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for beating the residency deferment topic to death, but I'm an HPSP specifically interested in Plastic/Reconstructive surgery but since there are no Army programs there is no match data and no information on this specialty in the Army. Does anybody know if there is even a chance of getting a deferment for Plastics or similar specialties without Army residencies and if so then how common is it and how does it work? (would I start in Army GenSurg then branch into civilain plastics?) Any information would be great, I can't find this info anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

JKnox49 said:
Sorry for beating the residency deferment topic to death, but I'm an HPSP specifically interested in Plastic/Reconstructive surgery but since there are no Army programs there is no match data and no information on this specialty in the Army. Does anybody know if there is even a chance of getting a deferment for Plastics or similar specialties without Army residencies and if so then how common is it and how does it work? (would I start in Army GenSurg then branch into civilain plastics?) Any information would be great, I can't find this info anywhere.

No such thing as a plastics residency

You do a general surgery residency and then a plastics fellowship

It isn't that hard to get fellowships as long as you've done a military residency.

Your best bet, due a military general surgery residency and let them know well in advance of completion that you want to do plastics....my guess is unless we are at war, that they will let you do your fellowship...keep in mind that doing a fellowship adds to your commitment in most cases.

texdrake said:
No such thing as a plastics residency

You do a general surgery residency and then a plastics fellowship

It isn't that hard to get fellowships as long as you've done a military residency.

Your best bet, due a military general surgery residency and let them know well in advance of completion that you want to do plastics....my guess is unless we are at war, that they will let you do your fellowship...keep in mind that doing a fellowship adds to your commitment in most cases.

There are actually a few categorical plastics residencies out there as far as I know, but they are EXTREMELY competitive. Tougher than Derm in some cases I hear. Your route to plastics within the Army will likely be as texdrake described. Good luck! :luck: