Yet Another Rads Rank List- UCSD, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Beth Israel Deaconess

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, or Beth Israel Deaconess for residency?

• UCSD

• Mt. Sinai

• Columbia

• BID

Results are only viewable after voting.

ConfusedRank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I am still confused about my rank order and am deciding among UCSD, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, and Beth Israel Deaconess as my top residency program. I also have UNC, Emory, and Brown. What do you think? Do you have any information or suggestions? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I am still confused about my rank order and am deciding among UCSD, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, and Beth Israel Deaconess as my top residency program. I also have UNC, Emory, and Brown. What do you think? Do you have any information or suggestions? Thank you

Go for location. If you want to stay in California when you are done UCSD >>>>> others.

If you want to stay in Boston after you are done, BID > Brown >>>>> others.

The same for Atlanta, NYC and other places.

Being trained even at MGH gives you less chance of getting a job in California compared to UCSD. The opposite is true for UCSF versus Brown or BID.

Last edited:
UCSD
Columbia
Emory

I agree with the above poster on location. If I wanted to stay in CA and I had your list, then UCSD would be my clear #1. That's just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do particular programs on the list provide access to greater geographic expanses in the long run?

Do particular programs on the list provide access to greater geographic expanses in the long run?
I think UCSD and Emory would provide the greatest "outside its region" recognition of the ones on your list.

Bumping up the thread. Does anyone have any new information or insight? I am very interested translational research, want a strong, well-rounded clinical training, and camaraderie.

You want to go to a well rounded university, with good technical, business, and legal teams. By definition, translation is to apply basic science to meaningful use, so going to a university with a good engineering school, business school, etc will go a long way. You should look into how much these schools colloborate with the department of radiology, and if there are resources in place to help you get an idea off the ground. I know Columbia is very strong in that (http://engineering.columbia.edu/1-m...ia-coulter-translational-research-partnership) though I'm sure schools like UCSD and Harvard BID are great too. You can't go wrong. Sinai is also very progressive and recently has been stepping up their game http://icahn.mssm.edu/about/sinainnovations

You can't go wrong with any of them. I'd personally go based on the location....

Thank you. Do you know if any one program has a greater emphasis on interdisciplinary research? I have become particularly interested in oncology research, but know that my interests potentially could change.

I want a place where I can be educated well, educate others, research to find new knowledge and applications, enjoy my colleagues and mentors, and enjoy my free time outside of work, ideally with my co-residents as best friends.

I am still torn because I would be happy at any of them. I am more used to one taste of location, but love the idea of the other coast as well.

I'm an east coaster so don't know much about UCSD. My impression is all 3 east coast programs are supportive of interdisclipinary research when i interviewed there. Whether or not you will get the time/opportunity, it's dependent on you as a person. What's your skillset? Radiology programs are concerned with training you as a clinical radiologist, so you will really have to seek out interdisciplinary oncology research. In some programs it's probably easier simply due to culture/workload and proximity of location to the other resources.

I'd go based on East versus West coast first (you gotta have a preference...). Within east coast, I'd definitely say Columbia > Sinai. All the rest is really based on personal preference. BID has all the Harvard resources for you to use....engineering, law, patent office, etc etc. But will you really travel across the Charles river on a cold Boston night to do some extra interdisciplinary research? Only you can answer that... Good luck.

I love San Diego and am very jealous you have the opportunity to potentially live/train there. :)

Thank you. I think my major decision right now is East vs. West and, while I am more used to one, the other has its appeal. This may be a last-minute decision.

I'm IR inclined, my list looks like this:

UCSD, other California programs, Emory, BID, Mt. Sinai, Columbia

Maybe we will be co-residents! I am interested in IR, but only in a limited context. I do not want IR call forever. My current interests lean towards Abdominal Imaging/Body. I think an exciting part of residency will be figuring out exactly what field I want.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am very nervous and excited for this next part of our lives. I look forward to meeting my future attendings and co-residents. I wish I had this clear-cut list epiphany that does not seem to be happening. I will probably be happy with any of the programs.

I am very nervous and excited for this next part of our lives. I look forward to meeting my future attendings and co-residents. I wish I had this clear-cut list epiphany that does not seem to be happening. I will probably be happy with any of the programs.

You are not going wrong with any of these programs. All are great. But you have to put more weight on location. There is not a significant difference between the quality of these programs but if you want to get a job in Boston versus NYC versus SoCal, there will be a significant different between these programs.

This is OP. I had to sign in through a different account to see the poll results. I am running into a last-minute debate of San Diego versus Columbia. I am from the East Coast and while I fantasize about San Diego, I would have to relearn how to drive and would not know anyone there. I am familiar with NYC. Any changes to your thoughts?

I'm IR inclined, my list looks like this:

UCSD, other California programs, Emory, BID, Mt. Sinai, Columbia

I'm the person who posted that^. I'm from the east coast too. I went to med school with several California students who ended up selling me on California. I did an away at a UC and sent aggressive interest emails to get my california interviews as I don't have any real ties other than visiting.

I'm picking UCSD and California programs over east coast options. There's a slight chance I may want to come back east and work in Philly, NYC, or Boston. But I figured going to California now leaves the option of working there long term open. If I decided I wanted to be in Boston or NYC, there are many more academic programs offering fellowships in those cities than specifics cities in California that have 1-2 academic centers max.

The relearn how to drive issue would be present for every program you initially mentioned other than Sinai and Columbia. Even remember a few columbia residents talk about driving in from NJ due to the location.

UCSD is a top program in respect to how difficult it is to match.
Columbia is a solid program but plays 3rd/4th fiddle in NYC.

Personally I would rank UCSD, Emory, BID at the top of the programs you listed.

Ask yourself: If you don't have to take a residency, and you're forced to live in SD versus NYC, which would you pick? You have your answer. UCSD and Columbia are roughly equal in reputation, so go where your heart desires.

Ask yourself: If you don't have to take a residency, and you're forced to live in SD versus NYC, which would you pick? You have your answer. UCSD and Columbia are roughly equal in reputation, so go where your heart desires.

They're probably around equal in quality of training and general reputation. But if theres a chance you may want to practice in California I think you'd be much better off at UCSD.

I may want to practice in California, but I could go out there for fellowship. I think I just decided because, while I love California and the idea of it, I am used to and know many people in NYC. My family is also still on the East Coast. I also loved my interview day at one of the programs over the other. I am afraid of being isolated and want to find a partner. I feel like I am socially safer in NYC. I may still end up in California yet. I think I am going with Columbia over UCSD for 1 and 2. I would still be incredibly grateful to train at these and the other programs on this thread. Thank you for the input.

Last edited:
I may want to practice in California, but I could go out there for fellowship. I think I just decided because, while I love California and the idea of it, I am used to and know many people in NYC. My family is also still on the East Coast. I also loved my interview day at one of the programs over the other. I am afraid of being isolated and want to find a partner. I feel like I am socially safer in NYC. I may still end up in California yet. I think I am going with Columbia over UCSD for 1 and 2. I would still be incredibly grateful to train at these and the other programs on this thread. Thank you for the input.
Good choice. Ppl on SDN talk about programs as if work is the only thing that matters in life.

Don't assume that you can easily find a top fellowship in California. IR, MSK and mammo are hard to get these days and are filled internally in most places.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated from a top 30 US Med School. I have terrible luck. Such is life.

I matched at my 9th rank :eyebrow::eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 user