yet another question...sorry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blt317

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I know there are probably like 10 threads about this, but I'm relatively new to this website, so i don't really know how to search around for it. Anyways, I am planning on applying to Optometry School for 2010. I have finished my prereqs, recieved my B.S. in Biological Sciences, scored 350 AA / 370 TS on my OATS, solid work experience/shadowing with optometrists, and just have the application left. But, I am extremely concerned about my GPA, which is 3.1 cummulative. I was wondering if i should take additional challenging classes at some junior college, or my University and would that help strengthen my application??

I would appreciate the feedback

Thanks guys

btw, its my first post.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have pretty decent stats. what i would suggest is that you have everything ready to go, so that you can apply early. if you will be applying to a few schools (3 or 4), then I think you will definitely get to interview early. So, lets say that you are one of the first to interview (oct at the latest), you would hear back from the schools by november (at the latest) that you have been accepted BUT if you are put on the waitlist due to GPA, you would just then take some upper level courses jan-apr, and that wouldn't boost up your GPA (because we all know it takes more than 3 As) but it would show that you are capable of doing well in challenging courses.
The alternative would be for you to take some courses sept-dec THEN apply, but now a bunch of people have interviewed and secured spots.

As always, it's better to talk to each school's admissions team to get a solid answer!

well it depends which optometry school your trying to get into... the gpa range is pretty big depending on the school ( about 3.7ish-3.1ish).

so if your happy with applying to 3-4 schools at the bottom of the table, gpa-wise (not saying these schools are bad, people dont get mad ! ) then you have a pretty good chance of getting into those schools as long as you apply early.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
I know there are probably like 10 threads about this, but I'm relatively new to this website, so i don't really know how to search around for it. Anyways, I am planning on applying to Optometry School for 2010. I have finished my prereqs, recieved my B.S. in Biological Sciences, scored 350 AA / 370 TS on my OATS, solid work experience/shadowing with optometrists, and just have the application left. But, I am extremely concerned about my GPA, which is 3.1 cummulative. I was wondering if i should take additional challenging classes at some junior college, or my University and would that help strengthen my application??

I would appreciate the feedback

Thanks guys

btw, its my first post.

What is your science GPA?

I suggest applying to a larger number of schools, and chances are you'll be okay. Some of the schools (like SCCO) have strict standards that you cannot have below a 3.0 GPA for your pre-req courses, but I think the majority of the schools look at the applicants as a whole. You might not have the highest GPA, but make sure other parts of your application stand out. People with 380s and 3.9 GPAs have been rejected while people with lower scores have gotten in because they stood out in other ways.

Taking harder courses at a community college definitely won't look as good as taking them at your university. I think at this point the best thing you can do is make sure you have a decently challenging courseload next year (but obviously do well in those classes), write a compelling personal statement and rock your interviews. Oh, and APPLY EARLY.

Good luck!

hey everyone,
thank you for the advice. I do plan on applying to at least 5-6 schools, and early. My pre-req gpa is just barely a 3.0, but i am enrolled to take physiology lab, because i only took the class as a undergrad. My overall science gpa is roughly around the same as well.

As long as you apply very early/right away and get some of the first interviews, you should be fine. I applied with a 3.6 GPA and a OAT science average of 300 and got accepted to SCCO....the only reason I retook the OATs was because I wanted to get into Nova and UAB...so sometimes if your OAT scores are high and your GPA is not you can get in...and your OAT scores are incredible so I'm sure you'll do fine as long as you apply REALLYY early

BTW...you should join the facebook group for SCCO Pre-Opt students....Dr. Munroe has alot of informative stuff on there and you can ask her directly whether there's a chance of you even getting an interview with a 3.0 (which I believe you can)