Yet Another Question about Payback Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation: 2 Year HPSP scholarship-->finished one year transitional internship-->will do a 1 year GMO

Now here's my questions:

1) If I come back after my 1 year GMO and do a 4 year military residency, what will my payback time become?

2) How do I extend my GMO to 2 years? Is command sponsorship the only way? Also, if I am command sponsored will I spend my entire 2 years in the SAME place or is there a possibility I might go to Iraq?

Members don't see this ad.

GMO2003 said:
Here's my situation: 2 Year HPSP scholarship-->finished one year transitional internship-->will do a 1 year GMO

Now here's my questions:

1) If I come back after my 1 year GMO and do a 4 year military residency, what will my payback time become?

2) How do I extend my GMO to 2 years? Is command sponsorship the only way? Also, if I am command sponsored will I spend my entire 2 years in the SAME place or is there a possibility I might go to Iraq?

Hey GMO,

Thanks for the uniform info. If you only owe one year of committment, but then do four years of GME (not counting internship), then you'll come out of the residency owing four years.

That's b/c after internship, each year of GME cause you to accrue one year of obligation. But you can't start paying off those years until you finish your residency. So the first year of your four year residency will pay off the year you currently owe. But you'll simultaneously accrue another year as well. Then you'll accrue three more years over the next three years of residency, leaving you with a total of four by the time you finish.

I don't know anything about gmo tours, although I guess you could always try to just sign up for another one year tour, but that might land you in Iraq.

-Sledge

I was under the impression that if you do a four year HPSP, then go to internship and residency straight out (say Family Practice, for 3 years total), that you only owe 4 years after your Residency is complete.

So, if this is true, then wouldn't doing a GMO tour in between Internship year and the remaining two years of Residency leave only 3 years of committment?

Members don't see this ad :)
UseUrHeadFred said:
I was under the impression that if you do a four year HPSP, then go to internship and residency straight out (say Family Practice, for 3 years total), that you only owe 4 years after your Residency is complete.

So, if this is true, then wouldn't doing a GMO tour in between Internship year and the remaining two years of Residency leave only 3 years of committment?

Your committment is either your scholarship/USU committment or your consecutive years of GME prior to payback. You are right, the key is consecutive years.

UseUrHeadFred said:

yes, it would. That's b/c the residency portion is only two years, which is shorter then the time you owe. In fact, you could do a two years as a gmo, then finish your fp residency, and still only owe two years. But if you did three years as a gmo, and entered the last two years of family practice rotation only owing one year, then you'd finish your fp residency owing two years.

Regarding residency, there's an cut/paste from the Navy
GME page:

Summary of Active Duty Obligation (ADO) for
Graduate Medical Education

In a Military Facility (FTIS/OFI). A member shall incur an ADO of ? year for each ? year, or portion thereof, but the minimum ADO at the completion of the GME period shall not be less than 2 years. The ADO for GME may be served concurrently with obligations incurred for DOD Sponsored pre-professional (undergraduate) or medical school education.

No active duty obligation for GME can be served concurrent with an ADO for a second period of GME, i.e., obligation for fellowship cannot be served concurrent with an obligation incurred for residency training.

In a Civilian Facility on Active Duty (FTOS). A member subsidized by the DOD during training in a civilian facility shall incur an ADO of ? year for each ? year, or portion thereof, but the minimum ADO at the completion of the GME period shall not be less than 2 years.

ADOs for FTOS training are added to obligation existing at the time training begins.

It's beginning to sound like HPSP is more suited for shorter residency professions than longer. Especially IM and FP.

First off, your committment isn't complicated. Second off, you can find residency spots you want. And third, your military salary isn't that far off from your normal salary. In fact, if you do a GMO tour in between internship and residency, you can make almost as much as you will as a board certified physician while "wiping away" some of your committment, thus having some extra money for those last two years of residency.

On the other hand, for a surgeon, there are a lot of sacrifices to make...