Yet another pay question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brentunc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year med student planning my budget for the transition from renting an apartment as a student to buying a house as an intern. I had two questions.

1) I graduate on May 15. Since that is pay day (actually it is a Sunday, so pay day will be the previous Friday), will I get the entire second half of my monthly stipend or only 1/15th.

2) When do we start getting paid as captains. I know that residencies usually start in July but training starts as early as early-mid June.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

brentunc said:
I am a 4th year med student planning my budget for the transition from renting an apartment as a student to buying a house as an intern. I had two questions.

1) I graduate on May 15. Since that is pay day (actually it is a Sunday, so pay day will be the previous Friday), will I get the entire second half of my monthly stipend or only 1/15th.

2) When do we start getting paid as captains. I know that residencies usually start in July but training starts as early as early-mid June.

Thanks.

I'm going to jump in front of this train before some of our more cynical members throw you in front of it :smuggrin:

There is absolutely no way you can count on getting paid right away. In fact, it can take months to get your pay going correctly (30+ non-USUHS NMCSD interns in 2002 were not paid until Oct, right Rob?). You will ultimately get back pay to either your date of rank or when you come on active duty (whichever is latest) but it may take months for that to come about. If you need your paycheck to make your mortgage, my advice is to see it in your account before you buy anything. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update - as long as I get paid I am not too concerned. I guess the underlying question is when do we start "accruing" pay as a captain. Is it the day after graduation, is it June 1st, is it July 1st...
Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
brentunc said:
Thanks for the update - as long as I get paid I am not too concerned. I guess the underlying question is when do we start "accruing" pay as a captain. Is it the day after graduation, is it June 1st, is it July 1st...
Thanks for your help.

HPSP starts paying you when you check into your command. NMCSD had a check in no earlier date, depending if you were going to do PALS or not.

Multiple interns had significant problems with pay amounts. They were messed up for about the 1st 2 months. This was isolated to HPSP as USUHS physicians aren't coming from "reserve" status. All money owed is eventually paid and you get a very large check. I'd make sure you have enough cash on hand to survive for a couple of months. Also, where are you looking to buy? In a couple of regions, BAH won't cover the cost of a mortgage.

I'm probably going to end up down in San Antonio where BAH with dependents is over $1100. Housing is so cheap that we were easily able to find a mortgage that was close to that amount. Also, even if it is above that amount, the pay in general is high enough that buying a house is very possible, especially in a less expensive area like San Antonio.

So I suspect that most programs have a check-in date of early June? If so, then that is when we can expect to start being paid and the time between graduation and check-in is no pay? Thank for the help.

brentunc said:
So I suspect that most programs have a check-in date of early June? If so, then that is when we can expect to start being paid and the time between graduation and check-in is no pay? Thank for the help.

I'm also wondering when we "officially" start getting paid. I realize we won't be getting our checks on that exact day. But it would be nice to know when we technically start getting paid for our work.

*bump*

So, technically speaking, do we start getting paid when we report for orientation (june 15th), or when intern year starts (july 1st)?

brentunc said:

Thanks.

In the Navy, you'll get paid as a CAPT after about 20 years so or on active duty.

flynavy said:
In the Navy, you'll get paid as a CAPT after about 20 years so or on active duty.

Uhhh... Navy LT= Army/Airforce CAPT. Rank 0-3
Navy CAPT = Army/Airforce LT Colinel or Colinel maybe. Rank 0-6

I think he means 0-3 when he says CAPT and you mean 0-6. Or, like me, you are a smartass, and jsut messing around. :laugh:

AubreyMaturin said:
Uhhh... Navy LT= Army/Airforce CAPT. Rank 0-3
Navy CAPT = Army/Airforce LT Colinel or Colinel maybe. Rank 0-6

Navy LT = Army CPT = Air Force Capt (O-3)
Navy CAPT = Army COL = Air Force Col (O-6)

but the original poster knew that, he just made the unfortunate choice of joining the Navy. :love:

you will start earning your pay as an O-3 (to clarify) the day you sign in for orientation. actually getting that pay is a whole 'nutha story....

Geo

GeoLeoX said:
Navy LT = Army CPT = Air Force Capt (O-3)
Navy CAPT = Army COL = Air Force Col (O-6)

but the original poster knew that, he just made the unfortunate choice of joining the Navy. :love:

you will start earning your pay as an O-3 (to clarify) the day you sign in for orientation. actually getting that pay is a whole 'nutha story....

Geo

:smuggrin:

I think the date of rank (O-3) and the start date for active duty pay is your medical school graduation date (the day you sign your O-3 promotion document at the local reserve center upon graduation.....not the date you start internship).

That's who it works for ROTC folks out of college, the day of graduation is the day of commissioning is the first day of AD pay.

Of course it'll take some time to actually see the money.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was told that the day that you become O-3 is the as soon as you commission as an O-3. To be allowed to commission as an O-3 you have to complete all of your graduation requirements (they have you fill out a form and have it signed by the registrar's office saying that on "X" date you will finish your requirements). So, for example, on April 22 I complete my school requirements. I plan on going the next Monday to get commissioned as an O-3. I won't actually graduate until May 15. From April 22 to May 15, I will continue to make HPSP pay because I completed my graduation requirements < 45 days before graduation (if it was longer than that, they cut your stipend off). Between May 15 and June 8 (orientation), I will earn zero pay. Then, from what I understand, I will begin earning pay as an O-3 beginning on June 8 (it will take longer than that to actually get paid the first time).

And by the way, no I did not "make the unfortunate choice of joining the navy." I actually am Air Force.

brentunc said:
I was told that the day that you become O-3 is the as soon as you commission as an O-3. To be allowed to commission as an O-3 you have to complete all of your graduation requirements (they have you fill out a form and have it signed by the registrar's office saying that on "X" date you will finish your requirements). So, for example, on April 22 I complete my school requirements. I plan on going the next Monday to get commissioned as an O-3. I won't actually graduate until May 15. From April 22 to May 15, I will continue to make HPSP pay because I completed my graduation requirements < 45 days before graduation (if it was longer than that, they cut your stipend off). Between May 15 and June 8 (orientation), I will earn zero pay. Then, from what I understand, I will begin earning pay as an O-3 beginning on June 8 (it will take longer than that to actually get paid the first time).

And by the way, no I did not "make the unfortunate choice of joining the navy." I actually am Air Force.

You are correct about your pay, I was in the same situation last year and that's exactly how it played out. Your date of commissioning means NOTHING - it is just a requirement that you must fulfill. Your date of rank is your report date on your orders (unless you have constructive credit).

And about the Navy, perhaps I should have stated it more clearly - I was refering to the poster who was talking about O-6 Captains.

:barf:

Geo

Hey Brent,

I'm going to Lackland too. My orders list June 7th as my start day as a captain since we have a bunch of pre-residency training to go to. This is the start of captain pay and was confirmed by a current intern to me. That's the case for surgery, I don't know about other departments though.

Hope this helps.